Author Topic: "550" cord  (Read 26668 times)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: "550" cord
« Reply #100 on: August 29, 2014, 06:28:06 PM »
No 8)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Alan Halcon

• Whetstone +
« Reply #101 on: August 29, 2014, 06:33:04 PM »
No it doesn't matter, so overhands are ok?

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #102 on: August 29, 2014, 06:34:18 PM »
I did not read through all of the so sorry if I am being redundant.  What I like about paracord is the knots hold tight.  But the negative is a big one for me.  It does not slide over branches well and tends to snag every chance it gets. 

So I have been taking different cordage for different task.  For ridge lines I have been using bank line.  It works fine the knots hold great and it is so cheap I don't care if I have to trash it.  For hanging bear bags I use specra cord as it slips over limbs super easy, is small and light.   Specra is harder to get knots to hold in.  Now I just bought some Amsteel to make some soft carabiners with.  Now this stuff is expensive but darn nice stuff.  If I ever get a bridge hammock I think I got enough of this stuff to make whoopie slings with. 

By the way I would never trust the 550 cord we are getting today to hammock hanging.  That is just me but I don't want to end up on my head at 3am. 

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #103 on: August 29, 2014, 06:39:50 PM »
No it doesn't matter, so overhands are ok?
Si ;D

Offline Alan Halcon

• Whetstone +
« Reply #104 on: August 29, 2014, 06:50:25 PM »
bueno,gracias ;)

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2014, 06:57:15 PM »
   when I worked offshore in the gulf of mexico, I used to work with a buncha sailors, and from what I could see, their definition of 'mettle ' was the quality of their tattoos.  that did, however, remind of a knot I learned there called the wireline knot.  I rememer that one, and still use it to this day to tie up my horse because he knows how to grab and untie a slip knot. 

that line about 'makin' cordage in the field' made me laff, if I'm ever down to that I hope to hell I see a helicopter comin' to rescue me.  or a buncha sailors.

You make "Me" laff.

Pilgrim.

Ya may want to learn a bit about making cordage that is made from naturally available sources, & how to make it in the field, before givin the "elbow" to those of us that actually know how to do it.

Some of us don't live in a "Wal-Mart" type setting to just goout & buy things we want, and some of us also learned a long time ago how to do things with what other folks have no clueabout doing, & and actually know how to do some things you might want to know about, before ya start be-littling the skills YOU apparently don't have & have no respect for those that do.

In My Friggin Opinion... Or, IMFO for you that like acronyms...

I didn't like your attitude about skills & learning Monkee , after reading a few posts back there.

* I am not afraid to say so.

Spout off... Show. or shut it.

Show us your skills, & let us see your abilities, before you make light of others doins & knowings.

:(

My "dander " is up, due to some mouthy crap.

Lets see some skills.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 07:05:31 PM by MnSportsman »
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Alan Halcon

• Whetstone +
« Reply #106 on: August 29, 2014, 07:02:18 PM »
MnSportsman, did I read differently than you? What's up with the tenor? Not hating just trying to understand is all

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #107 on: August 29, 2014, 07:11:33 PM »
My style, Alan. I am not Mr Cordial.

Someone who has not shown skills...to me...or anyone else that I know of...
 & puts down those who have the skills...

Well...

I reserve , without the breaking of forum rules & politeness, my opinion of such folks.

I do not have any remorse about voicing my opinion.
OK?
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Alan Halcon

• Whetstone +
« Reply #108 on: August 29, 2014, 07:27:00 PM »
MnSportsman, I get that, ad can respect that. I'm often accused of having "NO" Filter. Would explain the exes with kids, lol

MP, for the sake of clarity, not that you owe it anyone, could you please bring it down to my stupidness. Something tells me we may all be on the same page, but want to make sure. No need to jump to conclusions.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #109 on: August 29, 2014, 08:00:57 PM »
Gentlemen,

Please let's not go down this road. Alan is a new user, but I want him to feel as welcome as if he were here from the beginning. New members will take time to display their skills. It can't happen overnight.

This is a holiday weekend so let's make sure we go into on a good note and carry that throughout.

Thanks. :)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #110 on: August 29, 2014, 08:12:16 PM »
MnSportsman, did I read differently than you? What's up with the tenor? Not hating just trying to understand is all
I read the post about cordage the same way JB did. I just bit my tongue, something MnS isn't known for doing.  :cheers:
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #111 on: August 29, 2014, 08:15:12 PM »
Gentlemen,

Please let's not go down this road. Alan is a new user, but I want him to feel as welcome as if he were here from the beginning. New members will take time to display their skills. It can't happen overnight.

This is a holiday weekend so let's make sure we go into on a good note and carry that throughout.

Agree 100% PW. But just for clarification, it wasn't Alan's post that got JB riled up.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #112 on: August 29, 2014, 08:15:41 PM »

I read the post about cordage the same way JB did. I just bit my tongue, something MnS isn't known for doing.  :cheers:

You are correct , sir. I guess it is in my Nature.
 ;)

Anyway...

My "horses are reined in". I get the point, P.W..

I still use 550 cord(7 strand), along with other cordage. Including "natural stuff", actually made when out in the sticks.

I use lanyards too, unlike many... but that is another topic here in this forum.
 ;)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #113 on: August 29, 2014, 09:46:06 PM »
Gentlemen,

Agree 100% PW. But just for clarification, it wasn't Alan's post that got JB riled up.

Ah, I see that now. Thanks for the clarification. This thread has grown quite a bit longer since the last time I viewed it.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #114 on: August 29, 2014, 10:13:40 PM »
Gentlemen,

Ah, I see that now. Thanks for the clarification. This thread has grown quite a bit longer since the last time I viewed it.
It's amazing how we prattle on about a stupid chunk o' nylon cord.  :rolleyes:   :fire1:

Offline Alan Halcon

• Whetstone +
« Reply #115 on: August 29, 2014, 10:24:22 PM »
Yeah, I know, OP. It's not like we're saving lives or anything  ;)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #116 on: August 29, 2014, 11:38:25 PM »
Yeah, I know, OP. It's not like we're saving lives or anything  ;)
Sarcasm noted. :)

Offline BigHat

• Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #117 on: August 30, 2014, 03:13:18 AM »
i still like the bowline over the overhand knot, due to it's ease of untying.

Alan, are you familiar with the easy way to tie the bowline? you mentioned simple knots for teaching students and having them remember. this is the simplest way i know for a bowline. here's a video(not mine, but the best i could find on the method)

"you're doing it wrong!"  -everyone
"Doesn't matter what knife you're good with, if you're good with a knife." -Yeoman

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #118 on: August 30, 2014, 03:42:39 AM »
I have to agree the bowline and running bowline has way to many uses not to learn. I understand in a teaching environment multiple knots or even two can be challenging for a group. I've taught few folks how to climb. Something my sons instructor at the fire academy did was to give the guys each a 8' piece of 1/2 or13mm climbing line to practice with. Bigger line while teaching would help students better than small cordage. I understand you position that some common knots are more versatile but what's wrong with learning? Not to insult you Alan but the give a Damn broken May turn some students away. That said I really like your figure four snare. I was wondering if you ever used this in a fishing set? Seems like if you had the right tension it could be a great hook setter. Thanks for you videos good stuff.

Offline Alan Halcon

• Whetstone +
« Reply #119 on: August 30, 2014, 07:39:58 AM »
Bighat, that's exactly how I tie my bowline, via slipknot

SwampHanger, no problem with learning at all. What i am trying to convey to the students is this is camping stuff don't make it more complicated than it has to be. I teach them the toggle hitch which is pretty magical to them, if they've never seen it. Now, instead of spending a lot of time learning to correctly tie a bowline (which they will likely forget if they don't practice it) they can continue with rigging.

Students walk away learning valuable tools they can apply without too much thought. Remember it is part of a system. They tie overhand knots to make loops that are then turned into something, For example: two over hand knots can give you a jam knot, which I teach. An overhand loop on the end gives you what you need for the toggle hitch, PCT bear bag hang, etc. the loops are used as klemheist hitches but were tied off with overhand knots. I teach them a truckers hitch with mainline only(slip knot on main line which really is an overhand quick release), then with one of the loops in a klemheist instead of a slipknot, then with a toggle on a larkshead on the mainline. I assure you, my students don't show up to learn how and tie a shoelace, but I do understand what you mean.

As for the fig4 spring snare. Oh yeah I teach students how to use it as a limbline set for fishing. way to go and seeing it that way as well. It truly is versatile in it's uses

Offline TAPRACKFIRE

• Mill File+
« Reply #120 on: August 30, 2014, 08:02:27 AM »
I dont have time or the ability to remember all these knots for joining rope. I just bring one peice of rope long enough to get the job done.

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #121 on: August 30, 2014, 08:23:25 AM »
i still like the bowline over the overhand knot, due to it's ease of untying.

Alan, are you familiar with the easy way to tie the bowline? you mentioned simple knots for teaching students and having them remember. this is the simplest way i know for a bowline. here's a video(not mine, but the best i could find on the method)

That's pretty cool.  I have not seen that method.  My rabbit still pops out of his hole, goes around the tree, and back in the hole the way I was taught when I was 6.  At least my lips don't move as the sequence plays out in my brain.  :lol: 

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #122 on: August 30, 2014, 08:48:50 AM »
An OLD dog just learned a new trick! :P     Slicker'n hot snot on a glass doorknob! :[   Thanks a lot for that video, BigHat! :cheers:

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #123 on: August 30, 2014, 09:05:46 AM »
Big hats method is similar to the way the Army Ranger instructors taught us at a week long mountain course for the Boy Scouts at Camp Frank D. Merrill ranger school in Dahlonega,  GA

The ranger method tied the bowline a different way. The way they were teaching us was with the rope around your back and the working end in your right hand.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline Alan Halcon

• Whetstone +
« Reply #124 on: August 30, 2014, 09:13:29 AM »
I dont have time or the ability to remember all these knots for joining rope. I just bring one peice of rope long enough to get the job done.

okay here comes the infomercial pitch

"But what if I told you there is an easy way to do it with a knot you already know. In fact, you'll be so impressed and it is so easy, you'll be kicking yourself for not thinking of it yourself. Would you be interested then? But wait, there's more. What if I also told you this system is so unique, your friends will be jealous?" Ok if you act now you get the entire system for the low cost of 9.99 and if you order in the next 30 seconds we'll include FREE one wood toggle.

please include 89.99 for shipping and handling

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #125 on: August 30, 2014, 09:20:34 AM »
...What i am trying to convey to the students is this is camping stuff don't make it more complicated than it has to be. ...
Not asking for a course outline, but just what is "camping stuff", which you've mentioned several times?
What would you say the average age of your classes is?

Offline Alan Halcon

• Whetstone +
« Reply #126 on: August 30, 2014, 09:27:44 AM »
Average is mid 20s-40s

Okay so camping backpacking, one may use guy lines for a tent, ridgeline for a tarp, tieouts for stakes, maybe a clotheline, driplines, hammock tying, PCT bear bag hang. etc

for woodcraft: maybe a pot hook which is easily done with one of the loops and a larkshead on forked end stick

Really the loops themselves can be used for almost anything

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #127 on: August 30, 2014, 10:30:16 AM »
Average is mid 20s-40s

Okay so camping backpacking, one may use guy lines for a tent, ridgeline for a tarp, tieouts for stakes, maybe a clotheline, driplines, hammock tying, PCT bear bag hang. etc

for woodcraft: maybe a pot hook which is easily done with one of the loops and a larkshead on forked end stick

Really the loops themselves can be used for almost anything
Okay, I guess I asked that wrong. I wasn't talking about uses for cordage, and simple knots.
You mentioned your classes focus on "camping stuff", with minimum emphasis on knots. What is "camping stuff"? The inference there is that "camping stuff" is different from woodslore/woodcraft, and much more simplistic.
Class synopsis?  Why do people take your classes?

Offline Monkee Peterson

• Mill File+
« Reply #128 on: August 30, 2014, 03:21:45 PM »
   hahahahaha, now we're gettin' somewhere, this site was gettin' pretty lame with the same old crap from wannabe's and never was.  it needs a little levity, and I can bring as little as anyone. 

pilgrim:  don't cry, it'll be alright.  and swing by the local grade school and ask some kid the difference in acronym and anacronym.  I would tell you but it's kinda like your knot worship:  if you learn it yourself, it'll stay with you longer.  most forums are ruined by a handful of folks that have no life at all other than to pass off everything they've ever read or heard as their own experiences.  they're not hard to spot.  there's an old sayin' about these forums that's pretty true:  those that can, do.  those that can't, put up several thousand posts.

alan halcon:  don't know what could be so difficult about understanding what 'camping stuff' is, it's pretty simple to me.  good luck with your classes.

I'm movin' on girls, I've already found another forum, and the good part is, it doesn't have flea market sections makin' up half of it's space. 

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #129 on: August 30, 2014, 03:24:49 PM »
   hahahahaha, now we're gettin' somewhere, this site was gettin' pretty lame with the same old crap from wannabe's and never was.  it needs a little levity, and I can bring as little as anyone. 

pilgrim:  don't cry, it'll be alright.  and swing by the local grade school and ask some kid the difference in acronym and anacronym.  I would tell you but it's kinda like your knot worship:  if you learn it yourself, it'll stay with you longer.  most forums are ruined by a handful of folks that have no life at all other than to pass off everything they've ever read or heard as their own experiences.  they're not hard to spot.  there's an old sayin' about these forums that's pretty true:  those that can, do.  those that can't, put up several thousand posts.

alan halcon:  don't know what could be so difficult about understanding what 'camping stuff' is, it's pretty simple to me.  good luck with your classes.

I'm movin' on girls, I've already found another forum, and the good part is, it doesn't have flea market sections makin' up half of it's space. 

Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out. :lol:

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #130 on: August 30, 2014, 03:34:37 PM »

Seriously?  Now I am really sorry I suggested maybe you did not mean the other post it the way it sounded.   :doh:

Normally I am a better judge of character than that.  You are the weakest link.  Goodbye. 

Offline TAPRACKFIRE

• Mill File+
« Reply #131 on: August 30, 2014, 04:23:25 PM »
That is a good sales pitch Alan. I liked it.

Sportsman,

you are right, not everybody lives near a Wal-Mart.  and, if you don't you can always drive to it to buy some nylon cord or various sundries.  just because somebody like that guy Monkee pokes a little fun at these topics you spend most of your days typing about does not give you the authority to attack them.  Believe it or not some people have lived it, walked it and done it all without posting messages on a forum page.  it is just that type of thinking that runs off members that would like to learn some of these skills, but because of guys like you they won't post anything because of your judgmental and holy than though insults.  I've always found it easier to catch flies with honey instead of vinegar. 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 05:55:40 PM by TAPRACKFIRE »

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #132 on: August 30, 2014, 04:39:15 PM »
We're being infiltrated!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #133 on: August 30, 2014, 04:46:31 PM »
The mere possibility of ancestral ties makes me want to change my avatar! :doh:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #134 on: August 30, 2014, 05:34:05 PM »
The mere possibility of ancestral ties makes me want to change my avatar! :doh:

:rofl: :rofl: :hail:

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #135 on: August 30, 2014, 07:08:18 PM »
That is a good sales pitch Alan. I liked it.

Sportsman,

you are right, not everybody lives near a Wal-Mart.  and, if you don't you can always drive to it to buy some nylon cord or various sundries.  just because somebody like that guy Monkee pokes a little fun at these topics you spend most of your days typing about does not give you the authority to attack them.  Believe it or not some people have lived it, walked it and done it all without posting messages on a forum page.  it is just that type of thinking that runs off members that would like to learn some of these skills, but because of guys like you they won't post anything because of your judgmental and holy than though insults.  I've always found it easier to catch flies with honey instead of vinegar.
This too, shall pass....

The years of combined field experience of the members of this Forum runs well into the triple digits.  With nearly 2,000 members, it might be in the 4 digits.  Some of those folks are patient, some are not.  But Forum, or not, if someone stumbles upon a campfire in the woods, and starts acting like a dick, rest assured someone in the group will inevitably call him a dick.

People who come here to learn, and contribute, will be rewarded with a camaraderie not usually found in cyberspace.
People who come here, not to learn, but to disrupt and make fun of those of us who live, have lived, or enjoy the lifestyle will be quickly spotted as Trolls and treated as such.

Rather than showing a Troll the door being a deterrent to new members who are SERIOUS, it should please them that people like Monkee won't be a constant burr in their blanket should they decide to stay and get acquainted.

:cheers:

Offline Alan Halcon

• Whetstone +
« Reply #136 on: August 30, 2014, 07:24:37 PM »
OP, I kept referring to camp knots as a distinction between knots good enough for camp, versus rescue/rigging knots.

When I refer to camp, it can be modern or traditional and for me is fairly synonymous.

My classes are workshops broken into 2-3 hours block of instruction. I have classes almost every weekend, both Saturdays and Sundays. My core attendance is those folks who find it easier to attend some workshops on a weekend, rather than a week long school.

So, today, for instance, I had a firemaking workshop where I showed students how to find and process tinder, how to use a ferro rod, how to use the bow and drill, strap drill, and hand drill. I demonstrated other commercial survival making products and discussed the pros and cons.

Tomorrow is LAND NAV... I teach students how to read terrain features on a topo, triangulate, declination and other things. Then they go out with a map. they have to figure out where they are on the map and how to find 5-7 way points marked on a map. A compass alone will not work, there is too much cactus, cholla, and other chaparral that must be navigated around

Monday is a Wild Plant walk discussing uses and identifying plants. depending on the area it can be anywhere between 25-100 plants (this one is really intensive)

I also do a dutch oven class and we make biscuits from scratch and other goodies

Knife sharpening is combined with knot tying and includes basic knife handling

Traps and snares is another workshop

First aid certification is another

The classes are repeated monthly and sometimes twice a month, just depends on the rotation schedule.

Don't know if I answered your question. let me know if I didn't

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #137 on: August 30, 2014, 07:34:55 PM »
Yeah, thank you. So the student can pick a workshop depending upon the skill he wants to learn/improve, or is he/she committed to the entire course of study?

Offline Alan Halcon

• Whetstone +
« Reply #138 on: August 30, 2014, 07:42:39 PM »
Nah! They can pick and choose what they want.... It's a revolving door. Each class is its own package. Hell if you want to leave early cause it's too hot or you gotta go drink with friends, go for it.

This morning we started at 10 and were done by 1 with firemaking

Tomorrow it will be 9 to about 1 or 2

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #139 on: August 30, 2014, 07:46:26 PM »
 Geez I don't want to interrupt your chat. Just thought I should respond to some remarks I read a lil while ago.

Not completely about 550 cord, in my response, even though I still use it, along with other cordage.

^ Gratuitous Topic reference there. Dont cha know....

Now...

Sportsman,

I am not necessarily the most liked feller around here.

I understand that.

Don't much know about popularity contests, but I know a couple of skills about woodcrafts/bushlore..

Shown them too...

Where's yours?      << {to those who ask me about my doins..}

So...to the one who questions whether I have only spent my time "typing"  & pissing around on the internet making posts, rather than going out in the woods & doing my "dirt time".

Wipe the wet off of the back of your ears, the snot off yur nose, & then ask me again about what "I" have done...

Ooops...

I almost forgot...I gotta be polite...

Nevermind then.

550 /parachute cord.

Use it if ya got it. Natural cordage? I figure most folks who can, know its' uses , & use what ya need it to do... just make it & Do it..

Those who don't.. well take a lil time to go out & check it out. Try it. Show how your stick floats...

Or not.. Maybe make posts complaining about those that can...and Do.

What a nice weekend. I am smoking up about 10 racks of St Louis cut ribs tomorrow... The rub is working as we sit... Nice doins... Better than listening to pups whine... Duke is patiently waiting for the drippins... NO whinin from an Old Dog.
 ;D

P.S. - Thanks to those who made time to watch my back trail for me. I will not forget.
 :cheers:

Edit: added the quote, so I would "not" be misunderstood in what I was trying to say, nor to whom I was addressing. The spittle running down the corner of the mouth of the person spouting off should be a dead giveaway though. Drool happens when one is still young & has not control over what comes out of their mouth. Or, so I think. In my most humble of opinions... FFFFtttt. Yup..got change?
 ;)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 03:49:52 AM by MnSportsman »

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #140 on: August 30, 2014, 08:12:43 PM »
P.S. - Thanks to those who made time to watch my back trail for me. I will not forget.
 :cheers:...

JB, you are probably the worst curmudgeon in camp. What you lack in diplomacy, you make up for in obfuscation. You and I have had our moments. But -- DAGNABIT -- yer 'family', whether I like it or not!   8)

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #141 on: August 30, 2014, 09:10:15 PM »
 :cheers: ...

JB, you are probably the worst curmudgeon in camp. What you lack in diplomacy, you make up for in obfuscation. You and I have had our moments. But -- DAGNABIT -- yer 'family', whether I like it or not!   8)

LMAO... Double edged sword...

I will go in reverse. To me...Obfuscation is like the art of telling someone they smell like a rose, when they are actually smelling like crap. And they thank you for the "compliment" you made to them. I see it a s a part of "diplomacy". Which I think I do very poorly at practicing that "art". I lost my "Tact" badge a Loooong time ago.

As far as worst curmudgeon in camp. Possibly so, but only because I do not play well with others, & have a tendency to voice my opinion without regard for others' feelings. Because, as was said elsewhere... my "Givadamn" is broken, and has been... for longer than I care to admit. So long ago  that the "Big Rats' Arse" that I don't give any more, has mummified.

Anyway... I take the "Yer family" part "to heart", and will try my utmost to not create anymore discord here, unless some one takes it upon themselves to give me good reason to start up again.
 ;)

And, not to forget... I still use 550 /paracord....and I even know how to tie a lot of knots, even though I don't always remember their names. I reckon.I just tie the ones I need to use ,to do what I need the knot to do...
 ;D

Offline BigHat

• Water Stone
  • hobo-crafter
    • BigHat Youtube
« Reply #142 on: August 31, 2014, 06:19:17 AM »
hell of a derail. MnSportsman, I like your honesty.

speaking of honesty, I'm not a big fan of 550 cord, too much stretch.
"you're doing it wrong!"  -everyone
"Doesn't matter what knife you're good with, if you're good with a knife." -Yeoman

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #143 on: August 31, 2014, 08:42:15 AM »

That 'stretch' does come in handy in some applications, though.....lashing, for one.  You can REALLY honk on that stuff without fear of breakage when lashing spars together.  To keep it from hurting your hands when tightening the wraps, try wrapping the running part around a short wrist-sized hunk of firewood to make a two-handed T-handle.  Projects end up like they've bolted together! :thumbsup:

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #144 on: August 31, 2014, 08:54:56 AM »

That 'stretch' does come in handy in some applications, though.....lashing, for one.  You can REALLY honk on that stuff without fear of breakage when lashing spars together.  To keep it from hurting your hands when tightening the wraps, try wrapping the running part around a short wrist-sized hunk of firewood to make a two-handed T-handle.  Projects end up like they've bolted together! :thumbsup:
I concur. That is the one feature that makes it useful, IMO.  Especially with lashing joints that might flex a bit (I'm thinking camp stool or privy seat right now).  Some cordage will stretch a might, and stay that way.  Paracord is more elastic, hence my early reference to 'bungie cord'. 

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #145 on: August 31, 2014, 09:12:21 AM »

And if you want it to get even tighter, wet it thoroughly before you do your lashing.  When it dries it will be like you've bolted and glued them together. 
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #146 on: August 31, 2014, 09:14:02 AM »

And if you want it to get even tighter, wet it thoroughly before you do your lashing.  When it dries it will be like you've bolted and glued them together. 
Never tried that.......but I will! :thumbsup: