Author Topic: Speaking of Grandpa's  (Read 2740 times)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
Speaking of Grandpa's
« on: April 06, 2012, 01:33:50 PM »
I found a few pictures of my grandpa, George.    There wasnt a thing in this world this guy couldnt do.  :)

Here are some pictures of when he was training goats to pull wagons.   Some he had trained for pack goats too, but I didnt have a picture of that.   

He also rebuilt/built stagecoaches, buggies, wagons,chuckwagons,  anything to do with horses..gramps did. 

Gramps was a metal worker , made tons of things with horse shoes.   His welder was going daily. 

The kid is my uncle Jerry , driving the goats in the towns parade.   Jerry also did trick horse shows for local rodeo's.  Now he raises quarter horses and elk.       

Anyway..  Here's my Gramps!   

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Frugal Bohemian

• Whetstone +
Re: Speaking of Grandpa's
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 01:57:17 PM »
Thanks for posting this!  As a new Gramps, I can't wait to play the same role in my new grand daughter's life!
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you..."
- Abraham Jay-Jedediah "Abe" Simpson

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 02:10:14 PM »
Great post.  Here's to Grandpas.  Mine could tell the species of bird by it's song.  Took me fishing for days and days into the northwoods in a canoe.  I remember his plaid shirt always smelled of pipe smoke.  His nickname was Moose.  Nice man.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 02:16:49 PM »
Gramps would fold up the cuff of his jeans and use it as an ashtray.  Flicking his Camels in there..then swat it really hard to make the ashes dissapear I guess.    Us kids used to laugh at that.   Grams would lift and eyebrow and snort at him.  ha ha ha.

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Smokewalker

• Whetstone +
  • Between the sweet grass & the packing house
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 02:18:42 PM »
Thanks for posting this!  As a new Gramps, I can't wait to play the same role in my new grand daughter's life!
Same here + the grasndson :D
"Theres allot of learnin under this hat son." "Boy use what ya kin see and quit tryin a see what ya kin use." Grand pa Jesse- A real Cowboy

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 02:20:10 PM »
Mine rolled his own.  He always dug out the "automatic" cigarette rolller we  kids gave him for Christmas one year when we came over so we could roll some for him.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving pretty with a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways in a cloud of smoke, thouroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a ride!" 
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 02:43:41 PM »
On that stagecoach,  the original 'suspension' was braided leather or something like that.  Gramps ended up using those long belts for saws in sawmills to replace it.   

After haveing a ride on it..  I have deep respect for those who rode many many rough miles in one.  It was soo bumpy, and I felt like I was going to tip out at any moment.   And theres really NOT that much room in those things.  No wonder the women in those full dresses back then were UNhappy....    And then to think of being shot at and horses going wild in a run....    And the luggage above made it even more top heavy..  **shivers**

Gramps would roll his own too when I was really little.  I remember him spitting the loose tobacco off his lips and one shred landed on my ankle... I went beserk.  He told me that he was just 'toughening' me up.  hah.

WW.

Offline madmax

• Diamond Stone
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 03:09:17 PM »
Mine loved Sanka instant coffee and Jim Beam.
Hunter S, Thompson

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 05:42:19 PM »
Thanks for posting the cool pics, WW.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 10:53:47 PM »
Mine loved Sanka instant coffee and Jim Beam.

Now THAT was one tough individual!
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 11:40:22 PM »
Thanks WW! Nice to see them old photos..
:D
How did you get them online? Scan them?

I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 11:45:21 PM »
Your Welcome MnSport..    My mother scanned them, printed them to paper for me.  I then scanned the paper , resized, uploaded to Picture Trail and then linked it over. 

WW.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 12:41:47 AM »
I got to take my Gramps on a charter salmon fishing trip when he was 90, after all the trips he took me on as a kid. On his 100th birthday, there were 50 candles on the cake (all it would hold). He sat at the table and blew them all out from over a foot away. Never complained a day in his life, and never raised his voice, but boy you sure had no doubt when you were on his list!
I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.