Author Topic: Dual coal challenge  (Read 6628 times)

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
Dual coal challenge
« on: August 27, 2014, 06:10:28 PM »
I challenge my peers here to not only start a dang fire, but start 2 at once. I set out to do a flint/steel and a bowdrill. I did both but my camera battery went dead just as it was getting good. I got an ember going with a spark first and transferred it to fungus for safe keeping. Then got a bowdrill ember going and transferred it to fungus as well. About the time I was fixing to blow to flame is when I lost my battery. I got them both to flame but can't prove it..yet. I'd like to see some of my buddies get some flames going. I'll do it again in the next few days. Come on guys and gals. Making fire is fun

Creek

Axes Rock!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: Dual coal challenge
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 06:31:37 PM »
 :shrug: Like you told me, the other day, "Pictures, or it didn't happen!"  :lol:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 06:57:30 PM »
Wow, Creek this is a cool idea! And it will definitely be a challenge to get two coals going at the same time. I'm thinking it would be best to start with the bow drill since that will take the most time.

And holy cow you have a lot of crows around there!

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 07:35:57 PM »
:shrug: Like you told me, the other day, "Pictures, or it didn't happen!"  :lol:

I got my two coals smarty pants. You can't imagine my disappointment when I had my two fires in the same pan and the freakin camera was off!  :pissed:

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline madmax

• Belt Grinder
  • The Phoenix
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 02:53:28 AM »
It's almost cool enough in the am here now that I won't douse any coal I get with a bow drill with sweat.  ;)
At least it's not a femur through the pelvis.

Offline Mr. Tettnanger

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 05:23:28 AM »
Dual coal?

Heck, I can't even get ONE COAL!!!!!!

I really need to practice these skills more!

Thanks for posting and getting me thinking about how lax I have been about these skills!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 09:03:15 AM »
After we get a few people doing the dual coal, then we need the triple threat! Bowdrill, flint and steel, and fire piston! :D

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 09:03:53 AM »
PW, the reason I went with the flint coal first was because I knew I could re-kindle one easier if I let it go out. Versus making a new coal with the drill. I sure would like to see some fires...

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 09:13:40 AM »
PW, the reason I went with the flint coal first was because I knew I could re-kindle one easier if I let it go out. Versus making a new coal with the drill. I sure would like to see some fires...

Creek

Makes sense to me.

I hope it dries out today. I've got to make a little "stage" out of particle board for my daughter, and pour some roof patch on the deck as soon as it dries up. Then I should be free to go outside and do whatever. I tried several times with this juniper bowdrill set but it is just not working. I think the wood is too resinous because I get a good amount of glazing in the socket and on the spindle.

I'm going to try a mullein stalk for the spindle next. It is softer than the juniper so the mismatched woods might help, or might make it worse. I haven't been the best at shaking out my local materials but I this is as good an opportunity as any.

I've learned that if you are exhausting yourself to get a coal, you're doing it wrong. ;)

Offline DomC

• Whetstone
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 11:08:52 AM »
And it will definitely be a challenge to get two coals going at the same time.
Two coals at the SAME time? If I was a Siamese twin and had four arms I'd take on that challenge! LOL! Just kidding I understand the challenge, but it struck me funny PW. It's definitely something to strive for...but I'll wait till late November cause it's still hotter than Hades here on the Space Coast of Florida :(

DomC
God is enough, let go, let God. (Gal 2:20,21)
A knifeless man is a lifeless man. (Nordic proverb).

Offline mneedham

• Water Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship - Charred Cloth Challenge
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 02:58:57 PM »
Creek!  That is cool.  It's kind of like the fire chain.  You can see that post in my submission for the FFF. 

Build a bowdrill with what you find in the woods, light a natural tinder bundle (materials found on site...), start a fire.  Use that fire to char some natural material found on site (I used punk wood), ignite the char with flint and steel, start another a tinder bundle using material found on site...  It's a real pain in the ass....
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 03:04:45 PM by mneedham »

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 10:42:47 PM »
Yeah that fire chain is definitely a nice feather for your cap.

I tried again today with a mullein stalk spindle and got a lot more smoke and dust but still no coal. I am going to ditch the juniper hearth board in favor of a hardwood to my next try. I've gotten a coal with all juniper before but it is harder than something like poplar.

Offline offtrail

• Whetstone +
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 06:18:38 PM »
Just wondering what is the benefit of doing this challenge, I'm I missing something here? 

Offline upthecreek

• Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
    • my youtube
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 04:52:36 AM »
Just wondering what is the benefit of doing this challenge, I'm I missing something here?

Naa you ain't missing nothing. Just something to do and I was bored.

Creek
Axes Rock!

Offline offtrail

• Whetstone +
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 10:31:32 PM »
Something to do sounds pretty good to me, practicing fire craft is always a good idea, and it's fun!