Author Topic: Hand drill spindle time  (Read 5933 times)

Offline Reallybigmonkey1

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Mill File+
  • Have machete, will travel
    • Fun In The Woods
Hand drill spindle time
« on: August 30, 2014, 05:30:23 PM »
 Just wanted to remind everyone that September and October are the magic times to collect hand drill spindles where most of them are dead and dry and not rotten. I grabbed an excellent Dead Daisy Fleabane that worked incredible on the first try! I picked it on a dry 90 degree day. It worked so well I whipped out a video on it. Excuse my stupidity on the video, I started the timer at 10 seconds and thought in my brain it was zero. LOL.
 http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x24xcag_16-second-hand-drill_lifestyle
Sleeping in a tree is better than sleeping with bugs.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
Re: Hand drill spindle time
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 05:37:40 PM »
Good stuff, RBM!   :thumbsup:
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Reallybigmonkey1

• Mill File+
    • Fun In The Woods
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 05:43:14 PM »
 Thanks man!

Offline RangerXanatos

• Whetstone +
  • Great Sexy Beast
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 06:30:27 PM »
Awesome. I've been trying to get the hand drill without thumb loops but I just can't seem to get enough downward pressure without them. Otherwise I have only been able to get a little bit of smoke and dust with blackberry on cottonwood.
"What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying 'I am?'"
~Rocky Balboa

Offline Reallybigmonkey1

• Mill File+
    • Fun In The Woods
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 07:20:14 PM »
Awesome. I've been trying to get the hand drill without thumb loops but I just can't seem to get enough downward pressure without them. Otherwise I have only been able to get a little bit of smoke and dust with blackberry on cottonwood.
I'll admit, it took me what seemed like forever to get the hand drill to work for me. I just practiced a lot and once you do it everyday, you kinda get your arms, chest and shoulders conditioned to it. As long as you keep doing it, its easy. Once you stop, it gets rough again. lol. Just keep practicing a little bit every single day and before you know it, you will have it.

Offline mneedham

• Water Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship - Charred Cloth Challenge
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 10:23:44 AM »
I've actually never tried the hand drill...  It's on the list.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 06:15:59 PM »

I was in the woods Friday and checked in on a Mullen patch that I collect tinder and leaves for tea from every year,  it's just at that time where it's starting to turn brown and drying up,  a couple more weeks and it'll be ready to harvest,  mullen makes good friction fire spindles from what I'm told.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Reallybigmonkey1

• Mill File+
    • Fun In The Woods
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 04:29:04 PM »
I've actually never tried the hand drill...  It's on the list.
A lot think the hand drill is darn near impossible but in reality, it's easier than the bow drill once you've learned what the best materials are. Definitely give it a try.

Offline Reallybigmonkey1

• Mill File+
    • Fun In The Woods
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 04:31:39 PM »

I was in the woods Friday and checked in on a Mullen patch that I collect tinder and leaves for tea from every year,  it's just at that time where it's starting to turn brown and drying up,  a couple more weeks and it'll be ready to harvest,  mullen makes good friction fire spindles from what I'm told.
I'd you live in an area that has sotol of yucca, those are pretty much the best. Here in the south, mullein is THE best with golderod or horse weed in a close second.

Offline mneedham

• Water Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship - Charred Cloth Challenge
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 05:38:01 PM »

I'd you live in an area that has sotol of yucca, those are pretty much the best. Here in the south, mullein is THE best with golderod or horse weed in a close second.

I've got tons of goldenrod.  Do you allow it to dry standing, or cut it and and dry it?

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 05:44:51 PM »

I've got loads of mullein around. What are you using for the hearth board?  I have been thinking of using mullein in a bow drill using the two stick hearth method just for kicks. I need to go harvest some more and let it dry out.

Offline Reallybigmonkey1

• Mill File+
    • Fun In The Woods
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 06:19:06 PM »

I've got tons of goldenrod.  Do you allow it to dry standing, or cut it and and dry it?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                A lot of the different species act different when cut green and dried or just picked dead and dry. Goldenrod is one of them that works better when picked right as the leaves die. You can pick it green and dry it and it will work but it works a little better if you find it dying but not already rotten
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 06:25:59 PM by Reallybigmonkey1 »

Offline Reallybigmonkey1

• Mill File+
    • Fun In The Woods
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2014, 06:23:22 PM »

I've got loads of mullein around. What are you using for the hearth board?  I have been thinking of using mullein in a bow drill using the two stick hearth method just for kicks. I need to go harvest some more and let it dry out.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            For the hand drill I use either Red Cedar or willow with the mullein as  the spindle. With the bow drill, you can use mullein as the spindle and red cedar, willow, cottonwood, box elder, basswood or silver maple as the hearthboard. If you use mullein  on mullein, you will get a super fast coal on the bow drill. The BEST hearthboard out of mullein comes from the root. No matter how big the plant or how low down the stalk you go, its just a touch hollow. Dig it up and carve the root and you will find its just a touch more solid making a wicked hearthboard. Good luck man.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2014, 10:06:52 PM »
Hoo boy, that's some mad fire skills there brother! Excellent job, great vid. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline ncnurseryman

• Whetstone +
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2014, 07:19:43 PM »
Great vid.  I've never tried that before.  You make it look easy and I know its not.

Offline Boreas

• Whetstone +
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2014, 10:00:06 PM »
Thanks for the reminder RBM. Just went out and gathered a bunch of nettle stalks for hand drills. I tried them last fall and was blown away by how well they work. Once they're dried anyway.
I also grabbed a wild rose stem. Seemed straight enough and has a bit of a softer pith, we'll see how it goes once it dries