Author Topic: 1950 Military Stove  (Read 4491 times)

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
1950 Military Stove
« on: September 10, 2014, 06:17:27 PM »
My father in-law handed me a gallon ziplock Sunday with something hard and rusty. He gave me an old cook stove he was given years ago. Found a seal kit online and received it today. Replaced the seals and primed it up and it was rockin. It pretty much is either on or off not much in the way of adjustment. But I may work on making a little simmer ring. Oh and it runs on all types of fuel! Which is a feature I really like. Now that I know it works I ordered the aluminum case that doubles as pots which should be here Monday. When I get some time I'm gonna wire wheel and repaint it. I would love to hear any stories that y'all may have about using one or pics and stories you may have with their use. Thanks Swamp

Offline crashdive123

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
Re: 1950 Military Stove
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 06:24:13 PM »
Cool old stove.  Glad you got it working.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 06:31:27 PM »
Having spent a good deal of my early backpacking well above timberline we used a variety of stoves over the years.   That one looks familiar.  We may have had that same model back in the 1960's and obtained it at one of the numerous surplus stores around in those days.

Neat that you could get a seal kit for it.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 06:44:31 PM »
I'm convinced you can find anything on eBay if you use search words right.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 06:48:01 PM »
That is a cool old stove.  What more can you tell us about it, SH?  Model #, name, etc?
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 06:52:53 PM »
I think the U.S. Army used those stoves during the Korean War era.  I remember seeing them at the surplus store in Sioux City when I was a kid.  Dad wouldn't let me buy one....thought I'd blow myself up. >:(
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 06:57:05 PM »
The M-1950 was made by Coleman and issued from 1951 into the 1980's. 

A bunch of them in new condition passed through the surplus pipeline about a year ago.  They went for more than I was willing to pay but I was tempted just because they brought back some memories for me.

Great find and good on you for putting it back into service.

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 07:00:43 PM »
Very cool Swamp. I wonder what color it was originally.

Offline diogenes

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Water Stone
  • Winding down.
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 07:06:43 PM »
Cool you're getting that old stove working, SH. Now I want to go see if my Dad's old Svea works.
"Go away," Chuang Tzu said. "I'm dragging my tail in the mud."

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 07:11:05 PM »
OD green. There is a surprising amount of antique stoves on eBay if y'all are interested at looking. Wilderbeast did a great job of explaining. Mine is a 1952 and was made in Ohio. I'll put up picks as soon as I get the case and again as soon as rehab is finished. This is gonna make a Great canoe stove for quick cups of coffee along the way this fall.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 07:13:17 PM »
The prices on these things on eBay are all over the map, but here's a new listing on one you can watch as bidding progresses.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/U-S-Military-1979-Coleman-Stove-M-1950-GI-Pocket-Field-Camp-Stove-/191322473623?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c8bb54497

Looks like everything from new tanks, seals, valve parts, etc. are readily available if you need something later. :)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 07:23:05 PM »
OD green. There is a surprising amount of antique stoves on eBay if y'all are interested at looking. Wilderbeast did a great job of explaining. Mine is a 1952 and was made in Ohio. I'll put up picks as soon as I get the case and again as soon as rehab is finished. This is gonna make a Great canoe stove for quick cups of coffee along the way this fall.

1952 makes it a very early issue  :thumbsup:

If you plan on painting it may I suggest BLP Camouflage Spray Paint in Olive Drab.  It's a marine grade paint that very closely matches the original color.
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 07:25:03 PM »
Thanks Beast do you have a source.?

Found it on Amazon thanks again

Offline hunter63

• Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 07:25:41 PM »
Nice find...congrats on getting it up and going.
That always give me the warm and fuzzes.

Had one, while back........was in my FIL stuff after he passed....was sitting on a shelf during a Rummage sale, and a collector saw it and made a offer of $40 bucks....
So as I wasn't a survivor or bushlorest yet, I sold it. 
Geezer Squad, Evoking the 50 year old rule..First 50 years, worried about the small stuff, second 50 years....Not so much

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 07:28:42 PM »
Thanks Beast do you have a source.?

Yup, my buddy Tim at Old Grouch

He's a great guy to deal with.

http://store.oldgrouch.biz/blpoldrsppa.html

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2014, 07:31:32 PM »
Cool I'd rather support him.

Offline Howling Dingo

• Whetstone +
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2014, 05:56:45 AM »
What a great bit of kit...

Offline greyhound352

• Water Stone
  • Tribal Warrior of the Kracaneuners Ephesians 2.8
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2014, 07:21:35 AM »
Looks great Jimmy!

I'm curious if the adjustment is just clogged or dirty preventing a feathering if fuel.

I picked up an old Colman stove and I had to clean many parts in it and use compressed air to clear the fuel delivery tube. It still sputters at first but then warms up to a nice blue flame using the Coleman fuel.
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." John Muir

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2014, 08:44:39 AM »
I'm using white gas too. But from what I read so far that is normal. But right now I can't get the valve out of the tank. So it's soaking with PB Blaster and should free up by the time the trip is over. Then I can do as you suggest. Thanks for the advice I'll give it a shot.

Offline Professor

• Whetstone +
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2014, 11:41:32 AM »
I have had a couple of these little stoves!

The first was bought by my father-in-law back in the '80s at a surplus store.  He got it working and I carried it on the Ozark Trail for several backpacking trips.  I bought the aluminum pot set for it.  My wife sewed a nice stuff sack for it with pockets for a pot grabber, silverware and matches.  I gifted this one to my brother-in-law.

We later found another one at a flea market with aluminum pot set for $8.  It didn't work, but there are lots of sites with diagrams and instructions to clean and repair them.  I gifted this one to my friend Ryan, who was on a white-gas-stove repair binge at the time.

They are fun, but I have gravitated to alcohol stoves, because they are lighter and have no moving parts to quit working like gasoline stoves.
...and I'll see you soon!

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2014, 12:58:02 PM »
I always have a trianga in my kit. But this could fry fish a little easier on a canoe trip.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2014, 01:11:49 PM »

I have this one    www.spiritburner.co m/fusion/showtopic.php?tid/12173/post/new  look for thread title Model ??.
   It was given to me by my son as a gift,  it's unused or used very little (like new),  I've not tried to light it up yet,  it's complete with the carry case,  wrench, and extra seals.
   I was shocked just now by looking it up to find a picture to post in this thread, I found a well used one on e-bay that just sold for $499.99.
   Discription states that it is a very rare prototype made by Natick Labs (a military development and mfg. facility) in 1968, a small number were made but never issued. 
   He had two of them,  he gave me one and the other went to my other son.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Sarge

• Supporting Member
  • Water Stone
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2014, 02:09:08 PM »
Cool stove, SwampHanger!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)