Author Topic: Reading the signs, folklore?  (Read 552 times)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
Reading the signs, folklore?
« on: September 11, 2014, 01:01:54 PM »
I grew up hearing all kinds of wives tails? One in particular was the wooly caterpillar predicting the winter. My uncle used to say an easy winter was to be had when there were an abundance of puff balls. There are many others too.

This summer I have mentioned to my wife multiple times that there weren't any hornets around. None in the propane tank lids, the old plow truck fenders, or the CJ-5 body sitting in the weeds.

Now I found two large ground nests. Usually they are a black and white bumble bee looking bees. This year they are the hornets. Actually yellow jackets or meat bees.

This leads me to believe they know this will be a hard winter. Not sure how they would know that in the spring/summer, But I trust mother natures signs.

This year the wooly caterpillars are entirely black. Never seen them with no brown in the middle before.

Another weird thing was the middle of august after a heavy rain and a cool night the roads were covered with frogs. Usually that is an October thing when they are getting ready to hibernate and you feel sorry for them because it's so cold out.

So what sayings have you heard and how does it apply this year in your area?
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
Re: Reading the signs, folklore?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 01:22:50 PM »
I have heard that in South Dakota if the sun comes up the wind is going to blow. 

Seriously there is a thought that the early arrival of Crickets portends a harsh winter.

Another that I read somewhere:  See how high the hornet's nest, twill tell how high the snow will rest
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 02:13:00 PM by wsdstan »
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Professor

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 02:03:02 PM »
Here in western Illinois, our old neighbors had a saying, "Thunder in January-creek out in June."  We had "thunder snow" here this January; and although the creek did not flood in June, it has been a wet year.  Just this past week we had 7 inches of rain in a 24-hour period, and the creeks are flooded now!

There often is some substance to weather prediction folk lore!
...and I'll see you soon!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 03:18:06 PM »
There are some good posts in this old thread:

http://bladesandbushlore.com/index.php?topic=1989.msg32791#msg32791

At least for my area, I'm going on a few observations this year.
Late blooming plants. Limited number of pollinators flitting around all summer. Garden plants in no hurry to mature.
Spotted fawns running around the 1st week of September....

...And I busted my hump laying in 10 cords of firewood this year.

I'm betting on a mild winter again. ;)
The more I understand, the less I know. Pretty soon I'll understand everything, and know nothing.