Author Topic: Removing Burrs from Dogs fur  (Read 1712 times)

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
Removing Burrs from Dogs fur
« on: October 04, 2014, 09:45:11 AM »
   The other day I was out in the field gathering milkweed pods, and I decided to stop in another spot with our two dogs along for the trip. To give them a chance to run around , get some exercise and mess about, while I just walked along & enjoyed the woods. well while I was harvesting some pitch pine/"fatwood", they were playing in the brush about 20 yds away. After I was done I called the dogs when they returned it was an, "Oh, Crap!" moment. They were covered with those small burrs that I call, "Hitchhikers". I think they come from the Agrimony plant. These are the tiny little SOBs that are about 1/2 the size of a grain of white rice, or so.

Like these:

Not the big cockle burrs like Burdock plant have:

Now Duke, being a shorter haired dog, wasn't so bad, even though he had a heck of a lot of them hooked to him from head to tail, but little Jasper, our Australian Shepard, with his long hair, was crazy full of them. Hundreds of them.

I got them home after dark & tried my best to get them off of them before I let them in the house, but it was starting to rain, so I brought them in.I worked with Duke & my missus worked with Jasper. I got most of them off of Duke with a steel "curry" type comb, but am still finding a couple here and there today as I type this... But poor Jasper... My wife spent 3 hours on him with scissors since she couldn't pull them out. He looks a "sight" with his new patchy haircut.

Anyway, I didn't know this until yesterday,but a friend told me to try using vegetable or olive oil & coax them out with that. Well, the missus and the youngest son have been working on Jasper in the bathtub with veg. oil & she is impressed with how much easier it is to coax the doggone lil "Burrtards" out of Jaspers fur.

So, I thought I would pass on this tidbit of info here at B&B for any of your folks who may not have known about using veg. or olive oil to remove burrs. I suppose it would work on any furry animal or even human hair, but it is certainly worth knowing about if your dog(s) get into them.

Just thought I would share. G'Luck if this ever happens to you & you have to get them lil buggers out.
 :)
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: Removing Burrs from Dogs fur
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 10:12:39 AM »
Good tip! :thumbsup:    I've heard of that before, JB......actually used it a time or two when my Springer got into cockleburs or sandburs so bad that his ears looked like softballs!  It does help, but I finally just started cutting all his 'feathers' and longer hair off before I took him hunting in the fall, but I still end up picking burs. >:(    The only real solution is to buy a German shorthair, I think. ;D
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Nemo

• Mill File+
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 04:14:05 PM »
Yes! The oil trick works like a champ, that and a good wide tooth comb.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 06:28:51 PM »
My Golden was prone to pick up a lot of them too.  The Labrador, not so much.  I used to spray the Golden with Pam spray when we were going into areas with a lot of burrs and it sure seemed to help.  Made it a lot easier to get them out at the end of day.  I trimmed the long hair on the back of his legs and low on his sides but there was nothing I could do with his tail. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline 1066vik

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 08:30:36 PM »
we use a bent tine "slicker" style brush on our Aussie Shephard. 
Have also had real good luck with Hartz puppy fur detangler -- it's a low grade conditioner that's not oily, so no need to bathe the dog after using it.
It also has a very faint grapefruit scent, which helps deter bugs for a day or 2.