Author Topic: Walchensee Freediving - SUP has had some remarkable effects  (Read 2598 times)

Offline susannewilliams

• Whetstone
Walchensee Freediving - SUP has had some remarkable effects
« on: October 08, 2014, 06:07:44 PM »
I have spent many hours this year on my SUP on Lake Walchensee. I have lost 15kg of lard, have muscles like I have never had in my life, and nothing hurts. My back is fluid. Today I went freediving in the lake for the first time since really starting SUP. The effects are remarkable to say the least.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
Re: Walchensee Freediving - SUP has had some remarkable effects
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 06:22:36 PM »
Very cool, lake seems very deep so close to shore. What made you decide to try this? thanks for the vid
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline susannewilliams

• Whetstone
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 06:48:11 PM »
Very cool, lake seems very deep so close to shore. What made you decide to try this? thanks for the vid

Yeah its a very steep and deep lake. 200meter. Its over 100m right where we are.

Always swam...this was just the natural evolution.....it's really really good.

:-)

Online wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 07:11:21 PM »
Looks like fun and certainly would be great exercise.  I swim a couple of times a week but the water is warm and the pool is shallow.   :) That lake does have steep banks.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 07:22:17 PM »
Those are the longest fins I've ever seen! :shocked:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline U.W.

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Whetstone +
  • Charred Cloth Challenge
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 07:39:21 PM »

Over 15Kg ?!?!  Well....  you look great!!  Good job to you!!

I love free diving! 

I'm not sure of what kind of aquatic life you've got in the lake there, but free diving is a really GREAT way to get up close to it! 
Is that a weight collar, or necklace, you're wearing?  If so, I've not seen anything like that before - but it makes sense..

Full suit with hood - that's some cold water, no doubt!  How thick is the suit you're wearing? And how much weight to you have to wear to keep you just neutrally - to slightly negatively buoyant? 

Do please be mindful of the dangers of breath hold diving (shallow water blackout, etc...), and take necessary precautions; and lastly, ENJOY!! 

Thanks for posting up yet another great video!
u.w.

Offline susannewilliams

• Whetstone
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 07:52:42 PM »

Over 15Kg ?!?!  Well....  you look great!!  Good job to you!!

I love free diving! 

I'm not sure of what kind of aquatic life you've got in the lake there, but free diving is a really GREAT way to get up close to it! 
Is that a weight collar, or necklace, you're wearing?  If so, I've not seen anything like that before - but it makes sense..

Full suit with hood - that's some cold water, no doubt!  How thick is the suit you're wearing? And how much weight to you have to wear to keep you just neutrally - to slightly negatively buoyant? 

Do please be mindful of the dangers of breath hold diving (shallow water blackout, etc...), and take necessary precautions; and lastly, ENJOY!! 

Thanks for posting up yet another great video!
u.w.

I have the immense good fortune to live near Frank Bittner who also dives this lake. His Constant Weight PB is 80meters.... 80m. And without training he does a 6 minute static... like. WHAT?!

But he seems to like diving with me....and I just drink it allll in.

Amazing...

The landscape goes straight down 100 meters from where we were..

5mm open cell wetsuits. thick neoprene socks. 4kg plus 1kg in the neck lead.... A little heavy but, boy I love the drop zone, and I am a good swimmer... So I have a 4:45 static but I never stay under water that long. More like 2 mins.... but that is a long time holding your breath underwater. And you can relax because you have trained this and you are so so inside your buffers.... Easy cruising along some ancient mountainside....in a slight descent if you angle your body, or dart straight down.... as deep as you like....

the water is glassy and cold but there are very few animals. It is the light fall and the amazing rock formations, and the textures of the dark water itself. The way it reflects light, or doesn't, how it moves underwater, its subltes shades and undercurrents. And you dance her dance of luxuries, until it is time to let her go. And tread towards the light.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 11:21:02 AM »
Very cool! The water looks really clear. What kind of camera did you use to get the underwater shots?