Author Topic: Finding old friends  (Read 522 times)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Finding old friends
« on: October 14, 2014, 11:22:48 AM »

As a family (we have seven kids) we used to car camp every other weekend, I was self employed back then before taking a job as a police officer,  even then I had three days off,  every other week it was Sat., Sun., and Monday, so it worked out well.
 Up until the kids reached the age (about fifteen year old) when they discovered the opposite sex and cars,  they were always ready to go camping,  back then the only video games was Pac-Man and Mario Bros. so they didn't get bored in the woods,  hiking, fishing and canoeing kept them pretty occupied.
 One by one they started staying home or with friends rather than spend the weekend with the old folks camping.   :)
 My wife figured it was time for a change for us as well so we cut back on the camping and twice a year we rented a cottage on Cape Cod for a couple of weeks at a time and enjoyed the beach scene,  so most of my camping gear got stored in the basement and mostly stayed unused,  then I got into period trekking and then transitioned into what we call bushcrafting.
 Since that time I've been keeping an eye open in my basement for a couple of lost pieces of camping gear, specifically a few of my camp axes and hatchets, but wasn't successful in running across them, it's been all of ten plus years since I've seen them,  I got to thinking that they may have gotten left in my old van under the bunk when I sold it.
 For the last two weeks I've been spending time cleaning out years of accumulated junk in the basement, enough so that I've filled a 15 yard dumpster 3/4 full,  to my surprise as I got involved in organizing some of my camping stuff I saw what looked like the handle of an axe poking out under some canvas,  when I uncovered them I found a lineman hatchet, and 150 year old squaring adze, and my Norlund Hudsons Bay Camp axe,  the Adze needs some work and a new handle to restore it,  but the Linemans hatchet and Norlund Camp Axe is in fine shape,  a good dressing of the edges and clean up is all they need.
 I'll tell ya,  it's good to have finally been reunited with those old friends if for no other reason than to be able to quit thinking of where they were or where they ended up.

In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
Re: Finding old friends
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 11:30:39 AM »
Nice Moe!  Even better that they come with good memories too. 
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/