Author Topic: Mint looking K&E surveyor compass  (Read 320 times)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
Mint looking K&E surveyor compass
« on: April 19, 2021, 04:48:49 PM »
I was looking for a cheap transit/theodolite with at least 20 second precision and saw this ad.  I know we have a few collectors here...

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/63402012

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
Re: Mint looking K&E surveyor compass
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 04:57:01 PM »
Very cool. 

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 07:52:52 PM »
That's about 4-5 times as much as I paid for the two that I have purchased off of eBay.  Don't be too hasty in forking over that kind of dough for one of these things.  They are a PRECISION instrument, but due to the outside forces on all magnetic compasses from unseen 'infrastructure' like gas lines, cable lines, barbed wire fences, etc., they have all become a bit of an antique type of thing. 

One thing to be aware of is the 'reciprocal' readings at each end of the needle.  It looked to me like the needle on the one shown in the photos read at least 2.5-3 degrees different at each end of the needle.  If it were me, I'd pass on that one, but I'm mighty particular. ;D

If you are a real nut case, consider a Bose astrocompass.  You need to become an astronomer to run one, but they are phenomenally accurate and suffer no problems from magnetic outside influences.

I might even be persuaded to let one of mine go for a lot less than that one that you showed in your link, PW.  PM me if you're interested. 8)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 08:05:14 PM by wolfy »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 09:17:40 PM »
I will echo what wolfy said.  That one is a newer model and overpriced.  Watch Ebay as they show up there often.

Here is one that is not as pristine as the one you saw but in some ways I like it better.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Keuffel-Esser-K-E-Surveyor-or-Forester-staff-compass-with-carrying-case/194035712941?hash=item2d2d6e03ad:g:tGYAAOSwc4xgRXt-
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 09:34:52 PM »
That's about 4-5 times as much as I paid for the two that I have purchased off of eBay.  Don't be too hasty in forking over that kind of dough for one of these things.  They are a PRECISION instrument, but due to the outside forces on all magnetic compasses from unseen 'infrastructure' like gas lines, cable lines, barbed wire fences, etc., they have all become a bit of an antique type of thing. 

One thing to be aware of is the 'reciprocal' readings at each end of the needle.  It looked to me like the needle on the one shown in the photos read at least 2.5-3 degrees different at each end of the needle.  If it were me, I'd pass on that one, but I'm mighty particular. ;D

If you are a real nut case, consider a Bose astrocompass.  You need to become an astronomer to run one, but they are phenomenally accurate and suffer no problems from magnetic outside influences.

I might even be persuaded to let one of mine go for a lot less than that one that you showed in your link, PW.  PM me if you're interested. 8)

Hehe I thought of you immediately when I saw it but I haven't been paying attention to prices.  I have seen that reciprocal error on some of the fake Chinese Bruntons I bought.  A little judicious bending sorted them out, ha!

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2021, 09:35:38 PM »
I will echo what wolfy said.  That one is a newer model and overpriced.  Watch Ebay as they show up there often.

Here is one that is not as pristine as the one you saw but in some ways I like it better.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Keuffel-Esser-K-E-Surveyor-or-Forester-staff-compass-with-carrying-case/194035712941?hash=item2d2d6e03ad:g:tGYAAOSwc4xgRXt-

That one definitely looks like it has a lot more stories to tell.