General Discussion > Food and Cooking

ALL THINGS SMOKED & BBQ THREAD

(1/66) > >>

Smokewalker:
I decided to start this thread at the urging of Woods Woman. I love to BBQ and Smoking has been a way of preserving foods since man discovered fire.
 So to start things off here is a method of building a Cold smoker unit from junk to use in even a Cardboard box if it is all you have.

You will need
2 cans 1 14 oz and 1 28oz
 Church key
 Piece of Aluminum Foil
 Sack of wood chips
something to make some holes with(twig will do)
Charcoal
Turn the 28 oz can bottom up use the church key to make holes in the bottom and around the sides

Drop a few briquettes in the bottom (unlit in the example)

Fill the 14 OZ can  with the DRY wood chips and place it into the 28 0z can

Cover the top of the 14oz can with some Aluminum foil and poke some holes in the foil

It will look like this assembled place it into the bottom of your grill or in the firebox of your smoker and open the intake and exhaust vents fully

I can get 4 hrs of flavor enhancing smoky goodness out of 1 loading

Old Philosopher:
Good thread!
I used to sell compressed hardwood smoking pellets. I've demonstrated using them in everything from foil pouches, to cast iron smoke boxes, to foil covered 8" frying pans...but I've never seen anything as simple and elegant as this! Kudos!
Considering how they burn, if you get 4 hours with wood chips, I'd guess you could get up to 8-10 hours of smoke with the can filled with pellets.

PetrifiedWood:
Neat trick! I might give that a try some time.

For now I have a cheap offset firebox smoker that heats unevenly and is hard to get it to stay at a good temperature. Regulating the intake and exhaust ports and adjusting the charcoal make it either way to hot or way too cold.

I've read about some modifications people have done to theirs that I might try in a month or two.

Old Philosopher:
Correct me if I'm wrong, Smokey, but one thing I seem to have learned about smoking is the when, and how much of it.
To get the taste I want, it's not necessary for me to apply smoke all through the cooking cycle. Most foods will absorb the smoke flavor during the first 1/2 to 3 hours. Once the meat starts to crust on the outside, it's kind of a waste of time to keep the smoke rolling. 
When my wife does her signature smoked turkey in the Webber, she'll use soaked cherry wood chunks for the first couple of hours right on the coals, and then slow cook from there. By that time the smokey goodness has penetrated most of the breast, and the skin is golden brown.

Smokewalker:
PW My stick burner was absolutely awful until I did a few simple and "Cheap" mods to it. When your ready PM me and I'll help you get it help ya get it cookin like mothers oven with a smoky flavor.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version