Author Topic: First Knife  (Read 2199 times)

Offline Estacado

• Mill File
First Knife
« on: November 02, 2020, 07:36:47 AM »
https://postimg.cc/PPMDxxwR

My first knife from the forge. Kephart inspired as is the sheath. Mosaic pin as I ran out of thong tube material. A 4" blade with walnut scales. Ground out on a 1x42 belt sander which has since died. Have done some 60 fixed bade knives and sheaths over the last 4 years in addition to some 15 folders.

Offline Estacado

• Mill File
Re: First Knife
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 08:08:55 AM »
The knife was cut and profiled from 1095 steel, and then bevel ground before heat treating. Used a one burner Mini-Hell's Forge to get to quench temp. Canola Oil used in the quench. Temper was two cycles at 400 degrees for an hour each. Minor de-scale and on to finish bevel grind and polish finish with 600 grit belt. Three stage forced patina staring with Vinegar soaked for an hour followed by two separate Mustard cycles. Loveless bolts and the walnut scales finished it off. Learned more from this and three other blanks than the sixty previous blades. My sister now has the other Kephart and my two drop point hunters await my new grinder to finish. Going to pull the trigger on a Origin Blade maker from Oregon today. I built 20 knives on YouTube before I attempted this. Many mistakes made, but I fixed them because of things I've done over the last four years. Enjoyed the Kephart builds on you site, which is what inspired me in the first place. Have four more blanks with 4/ 4 1/2/and 5 inch blades awaiting my new grinder for profiling and subsequent heat treat.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 08:16:03 AM »
Well done Estacado.  Thanks for going through the steps you took to get the look of that blade.  Very interesting finish.

Welcome to the forum.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 11:46:40 AM »
 :welcome: to B&B, Estacado! :cheers:   Wise move in picking the Kephart design as a do-almost-everything-you-need outdoor tool.....my choice, as well! ;)

Are you from Texas? :shrug:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 11:17:22 AM by wolfy »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 01:34:25 PM »
Well done.  Nice knife.

Offline Estacado

• Mill File
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 01:52:43 PM »
Yep Wolfy from South Texas, just south of San Antonio. You inspired me on the Kephart design. Pleasing to the eye and can skin a Deer and get Peanut Butter out of the Jar. I made a Condor Kephart and my Bud is using it on the Ranch he manages. He's been using a Jantz blade I made for him the last three years, fourth Season. He liked the Old Hickory Kephart I gave him, but wanted a little longer blade. The condor has the patina like this one so I get to see how it holds up.

Offline Alan R McDaniel Jr

• Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2020, 04:21:00 PM »
Good to see another Texas boy here on the forum.  I've made a knife or two but they don't look like yours, but they're getting better little by little.

Alan

Offline Sarge

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2020, 08:14:25 PM »
Nice work, Estacado! Welcome to B&B.
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline Estacado

• Mill File
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2020, 06:47:53 AM »
Update on my knife. It's been out at "The Ranch" being field test by Sam. He's now dressed and skinned three Deer and two Hogs. He split the breastbone on a 200# Hog yesterday. He claims it's still sharp which bodes well for my Heat Treatment and blade hardness. My new Oregon Blade maker is a wonder as I have four blades ready for Heat treatment. Same size as one shown. They are spoken for, as folks at the Ranch wanted them. I have 8 other blanks ready for bevel grinding. My learning curve is going straight up which is curious given my 75 years of Seniority. Got back to my Longbow and and am almost ready to tag a deer with it. Had 15 years of target panic to fix. I am shooting pie plate size groups at 25 yards with my Howard Hill Longbow. I am a Hobbyist and have now idea where this is taking me. The knife making from scratch is more than satisfying compared with using blanks bought on line. Thank you fellows for getting me motivated to take this plunge. Oh it slices a Tomato and gets Peanut Butter out of the jar. Sam has been entertaining hunters at the ranch for 20 years, and has high praise for "The Knife."

Offline Estacado

• Mill File
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2020, 01:02:10 PM »
https://postimg.cc/3kHdfTRv

Latest Kepharts, the Star Mosaic is something the guys in Texas like.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2020, 10:38:08 AM »
Very nice work, Estacado!  :hail:    Good choice of pattern, too!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline Estacado

• Mill File
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2020, 05:59:02 AM »
Thanks Wolfy, you were my motivation for doing this. I read with great interest your process and thought why not me? I had a a 1x42 grinder that produced my first knife then it died. I now have an OBM grinder which make things a bit easier. Have folks down here in South Texas who like the Patina and the Star Mosaic Pin. The Patina is holding up well after the 12 animals it has carved up. I put the Choil in to help my grinding accuracy, helps my 75 year old eyes hold that plunge line. I ve made 18 blades so far, which I never envisioned. Just a Hobbyist entertaining myself.

Offline Estacado

• Mill File
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2021, 05:10:52 AM »
Update: I have now cut out and heat treated 23 Kephart Pattern blades now. They have been 3.5/4.0/4.5/5.0 inch blades. The majority have been the 4 inch model. The 3.5 inch blade has a side carry or middle of back sheath design, which the shorter blade and handle allow. It has a 4.0 inch handle vs 4.5 inches. Actually got out and dressed my first Deer with my first knife after I got it back rom Sam. I traded him a 4.5 inch version for it. He has dressed and skinned some 17 animals, Deer and Hogs, with the two knives. He has talked up the design at the Ranch and I have made some 17 knives for friends and fellow hunters. I m still a Hobbyist with limited skills, in my mind. But the blades are around 61 Rockwell and hold an edge well.

I cut thru the breastplate on a little buck two days ago with no issues. The handle design gave me no problems and felt like I had never used another knife before. Bloody wet hands are no problem with the handle contour Horace Kephart used. I touched the blade up with the Crock Sticks after I got it back from Sam. I have a choil on the blade to help my old eyes with the plunge cuts. The Forced Patina is holding up well so far and folks seem to like it. I'm just trying to perfect my skills on this one pattern to the exclusion of all others. I cannot tell you how much I've learned since 18 October when I finished my first one. I am still learning techniques and uses of my OBM Grinder, what a marvel it is. My little one burner Hells Forge is doing fine as is the 1095 steel I've been hardening in it. Started coating the blades with WTP 641 before HT to reduce scale. Still experimenting with the convex grind and pre-heat treat polishing and blade truing.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2021, 10:26:34 AM »
Estacado I am glad to hear how well your knives are going and the learning curve you are on sounds great.  Well done.  If you can post a photo of the 3 1/3" knife and horizontal sheath. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Estacado

• Mill File
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2021, 01:12:07 PM »
https://postimg.cc/gallery/yY6tfXy   Hope this Imaging works, have to relearn each time. My 3.5 inch Kephart style with Goncalo Alves scales with Horizontal Sheath of my design.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2021, 04:13:17 PM »
Thanks Estacado.  Good job on the patina too.
(Mark Twain)

Offline Estacado

• Mill File
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2021, 05:02:32 PM »
These are my last four knives. I have now made 24 Kephart inspired knives since October. A hunting Bud Eric wanted the special wood and while not True Kephart's I complied. I delivered three of the posted knives yesterday and the walnut handled knife went out to an old F-4 Crewmate today. Eric wanted the wood because his Grandfather had given the wood to he and his dad for turning Pens. He plans on giving the knives to his son some day. I now have a legacy with my creations. https://postimg.cc/ts71KNjt

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2021, 06:45:06 PM »
I'm not much for 'forced patina' lipstick on my knives, but I really like your Kephart-influenced designs! :hail:   It sounds like you accept and integrate your customers' desires or suggestions, too, which is a GOOD thing.:thumbsup:  How many frogskins for one of your creations?  If you don't want to divulge that information on a public forum, I understand....send me a PM if that's the case. :popcorn:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2021, 06:55:40 PM »
 Never mind   :P
(Mark Twain)

Offline hayshaker

• Water Stone
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2021, 11:22:01 AM »
wow was that nice and welcome to the fourm we need new blood.

Offline Estacado

• Mill File
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2021, 06:18:32 PM »
https://postimg.cc/Wh9y3Hg8. Thanks, your comments mean a lot to me. These are my last three Kephart inspired knives I just finished. A different Patina Pattern and tried a dye application with leather dye on the Maple scales. Blade lengths from 3.5 to 4.5, which seem to me to have the greatest amount of interestmhere in South Texas. Still trying to master Wolfy's blade contour, I am close in my eyes at least. Great satisfaction compared with just assembling knives from ready made blades. Still using 1095, no reason to change for now.

Offline Estacado

• Mill File
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2021, 07:39:22 PM »
I mentioned Wolfy as my inspiration, but Sarge and his work got muddled up a bit in my old age. Re-read the WIP post and Sarge was the true culprit with Wolfhart as the end product. Read so many threads as I was getting started, it all became a bit blurred. Thank you all for bringing me into this. Never got as much satisfaction building my blades online and making a knife. Did about sixty of those which was good practice for what I'm doing now. I still can't believe I've done almost half that number of Kephart inspired blades since the middle of October.

Offline Sarge

• Water Stone
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2021, 08:15:00 PM »
Hey Estacado, I appreciate that. Really nice work! I clicked on the link in your first couple posts but I could not see the pics. Maybe a problem with my iPad or ... who knows. Anyway, I can see the pics now - very cool!  :cheers:

I finished only a few knives last year but I?m back at it and plan to make some knives this year.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2021, 10:31:39 AM »
When going back and rereading the posts in this thread I could see how you might think that I was the one building these Kepharts.  I certainly didn't want to leave that impression or imply that it was me that did the work on the Wolfhart that Sarge created for me.  Now I understand why I was getting all those orders for custom Kepharts! :rofl:

Offline Estacado

• Mill File
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2021, 02:09:13 PM »
Still both of you, Sarge and Wolfy, get credit for my foray into my knife making. So much for skimming posts and not reading them. My Post Scanner Sucks!!! Thanks guys.

Offline Sarge

• Water Stone
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2021, 06:30:56 PM »
Keep on making!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2021, 06:43:53 PM »
Keep on making!

I wholeheartedly agree!  :cheers:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2021, 08:16:11 PM »
Me too.
(Mark Twain)