Author Topic: Bought a new knife for the first time in quite a while. ESEE 4 in stainless.  (Read 597 times)

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
It's been a while.  I have an ESEE 4 in 1095 already, but they come powder coated and after reading about the new warning they include in the package about the coatings not being food safe, I figured a stainless model would be a good idea.

I live in a very dry climate, a indoor humidity is usually hovering around 20% in the winter, spring and late fall when we aren't using the evaporative cooler.  So guns, knives, tools, all of it doesn't succumb to rust so quickly like it does in gulf coast states.

1095 would be fine without any special care or extra maintenance here.  But I  just don't want to have to strip a blade coating off and still worry about any residue left behind.

As for the new knife, I already managed to cut myself with it. :D  But other than being stainless with no coating, it's like any other ESEE 4, having the same advantages and disadvantages due to the design.

I like it, and I will enjoy using it here and there.

Anyone else buy a knife recently?

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner

I like 'em, but the dang handle is just too short

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
It is definitely a little short, but I've grown accustomed to it.   There was a company making extended handles for them, and I bought them for another ESEE 4 and after using them for a while I decided it was actually better without them.  I wear a size large glove so it's not like I have tiny lady fingers, but it just seems like it's "enough" as is.  It's whatever the individual user is comfortable with, of course.

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
I've picked up a couple of new knives in the past few months. Top is a Victorinox Huntsman in white, which is now in my everyday carry rotation. Great knife with all the options I need on a daily basis.

The second is a folding wavy blade Victorinox Paring Knife that I've added to my "Trunk Kitchen Kit". Great knife for tomatoes, bread, etc., and all around portable kitchen knife.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
Greg, that folding serrated paring knife is one I have not see.  I'll be looking.  Thanks

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
PW,  I have to say that the handle on the ESSE 3, in the same S35VN steel seems to fit me better, but the 4 is certainly a keeper.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
PW,  I have to say that the handle on the ESSE 3, in the same S35VN steel seems to fit me better, but the 4 is certainly a keeper.

I thought the handle scales on the 3 and 4 are interchangeable, but I might be mistaken.  I think I remember reading it somewhere.  I have a 3 and a 4 but I never held them side by side to compare.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
I've picked up a couple of new knives in the past few months. Top is a Victorinox Huntsman in white, which is now in my everyday carry rotation. Great knife with all the options I need on a daily basis.

The second is a folding wavy blade Victorinox Paring Knife that I've added to my "Trunk Kitchen Kit". Great knife for tomatoes, bread, etc., and all around portable kitchen knife.

I like that serrated one as well.  I haven't been following Victorinox lately and that's one I don't remember seeing.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
I hated to do it, but I went ahead and ordered new scales for the ESEE 4 in S35VN.  The factory supplied handle, while awfully nice to look at, is just too short for me to really use the knife.  Handle, tax, title and out the door, was $57.  Damn.
TKC is where you go to get a usable handle.  I'll just toss the factory one in the box that holds all the other factory ESEE handles from the other knives I was forced to do this for.

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
The TKC scales do transform an ESEE! I've got six pairs of 'em.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
I hated to do it, but I went ahead and ordered new scales for the ESEE 4 in S35VN.  The factory supplied handle, while awfully nice to look at, is just too short for me to really use the knife.  Handle, tax, title and out the door, was $57.  Damn.
TKC is where you go to get a usable handle.  I'll just toss the factory one in the box that holds all the other factory ESEE handles from the other knives I was forced to do this for.

Hehe.  It's true though those aftermarket handles are a lot more roomy.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
The TKC scales do transform an ESEE! I've got six pairs of 'em.

I have one pair for an ESEE 3 but they cover the glass breaker so I took them off.  I need to try them to see if they fit the 4.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
they should fit the ESEE 4.  Handles are the same size.  I received the TKC scales for the ESEE 4, and it really transforms the knife into something useable.  I just can't afford another set for the new ESEE 3, so I will use that one as is.  Here is the new handle.