Author Topic: Cinco de Mayo  (Read 211 times)

Offline boomer

• Whetstone
Cinco de Mayo
« on: May 05, 2021, 06:54:18 AM »
Greetings to all on Cinco de Mayo. A celebration with an interesting history both in the beginnings and how it has changed. Not much for crowds or partying but I'll be outside and get some work done on the off grid cabin. Hope to move in permanently in a few months.

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
Re: Cinco de Mayo
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 09:25:57 AM »
It has actually become a bigger celebration in the United States than in Mexico.  I believe that a couple of beer manufacturers may have been behind the push.  Gotta love it.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 05:24:08 AM »
not mexican, could care less

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2021, 11:32:27 PM »
Not Mexican either but I like mayo! ;)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 07:33:39 AM »

It seems that while the holiday has actually grown in popularity here in the USA,  it's real history has been forgotten, it doesn't actually celebrate Mexico's independents as many folks assume, it actually celebrates one battle in which Mexico got lucky and drove out a French invasion force in one small town.
  Seems the whole thing started because Mexico refused to pay on it's international debt prompting England, Spain, and France to threaten the the use of force to get their money,  actually Mexico had gained it's independence 60 years before the battle.
  So why is the holiday so important, good question, since Mexicans living in Mexico still are not really free, most live in poverty and in fear of the government, and Mexico is still one of the most corrupt countries in this part of the world, so what's the celebration all about, from what I can see it's all about Party Time,  kind of like a big Mexican Spring Break once a year, a chance to dress up in brightly colored clothes, listen to Mexican music, dance in the street, and get drunk, like the old saying goes "it's got to be six o'clock somewhere". 
 I guess it's what ever floats your Sombrero.   :shrug:
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.