Author Topic: HOT!!!!!  (Read 2089 times)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
HOT!!!!!
« on: July 27, 2021, 02:45:06 PM »
My thermometer on the west side says it was 116 degrees F two hours ago and it has now dropped to 111.  I got on my ATV to go get the mail and in 60 years of riding motor driven open air vehicles I have never had the sensation that if you did this for an hour you would be well done. 

The sensation of heat was like riding along the downwind edge of a forest fire and I believe that today is the highest temperature we have experienced in western South Dakota. 

How is it where you are?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
Re: HOT!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 03:25:08 PM »
It's 95 in central OK.  I just got done mowing down the woods area behind my backyard.  I do it a few times a year to keep it an open area in the woods, otherwise it will be overtaken and become brush you can't see or walk through.  We like spotting animals and stuff in it so it's worth it.  But today I was melting when I was done...you'd a thought I fell in the creek!  We are looking at upper 90's and 100 here in a day or two...Fall and Winter can't come soon enough! 
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 03:47:59 PM »
  It's been a fairly mild summer in my area of the country so far, although we've had above average rain fall this year,  last week was hot in between the rain days,  temps at or just over 100*F. with really high humidity,  Saturday was in the low 80's and dry, Sunday it rained most of the day, yesterday and today were in the low 90's and humid,  and the greenery is nuts,  I think the plants from trees to weeds are reclaiming the north east.    :doh:

I spent most of the afternoon at my club shooting Trap on Saturday,  it was very pleasant under the shade of the Pavilion.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 03:53:49 PM by Moe M. »
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 03:20:11 AM »
Since I'm in Florida it is hot most of the time.  It's the humidity that bothers me the most.  Looking forward to cooler temps.

Offline boomer

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 06:59:58 AM »
My part of the SW is tolerable for the most part. Skies are rarely visible day or might from smoke and the effects are evident but mo fires locally. For now.

The temperatures in the posts are no joke and need to be taken seriously. The issue is related to the core temperatures of folks in the heat.  Much above a certain threshold our thermoregulatory abilities can be overwhelmed.

Did see a single honey bee this week. First one in quite a while. Fortunately there are still other pollinators around. At least for now.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2021, 01:53:55 PM »
88F,  84% humidity, pouring down rain.  Welcome to Fl in Julyl

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2021, 04:02:18 PM »
100* here today....don't know how the crops can look as good as they do, but they are holding on.  We have had very little rain this crop year, so the ears will not be filled to the tip and the test weights will be low....but that's better than nothing.  Barring a bad hail storm or a tornado there will probably be enough to pay expenses. :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2021, 04:05:47 AM »
I had the misfortune of having to spend the last few days in Sioux Falls, SD! :-[  Went back to visit my mom and my siblings, and while it was nice to visit it was too damn hot to do anything but sit inside.  When I drove back today it was 110 degrees F around the turnoff to Pierre.

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2021, 05:58:34 AM »
I had the misfortune of having to spend the last few days in Sioux Falls, SD! :-[  Went back to visit my mom and my siblings, and while it was nice to visit it was too damn hot to do anything but sit inside.  When I drove back today it was 110 degrees F around the turnoff to Pierre.

That's crazy it's that hot their Phaedrus.  So where in South Dakota are you?  I have family up there and my grandparents had a lake house on Lake Oahe near Bush's Landing, probably about 45 mins or so from Pierre.  My uncle has a lake house near the same area now.  Just curious if you're close enough to hammer the walleye's or not. 

Offline boomer

• Whetstone +
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2021, 07:01:36 AM »
Were in new territory folks  The discussion has moved from denial to deflection but our choices remain basically the same. This is not about politics, this is about threat global in scope and catastrophic in consequence.

Right now things don't look all that good.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2021, 08:03:46 AM »

I don't think anyone is denying that there are weather changes happening across the globe,  I think the skepticism is more about the henny penny people running around predicting that the world as we know it will end in 12 years, or that man has the capacity or super ability either mentally or physically to alter the climate or whip Mother Nature into compliance just because we say so.
 Climate changes that we are seeing today are not man made and all the wind mills, solar panels, electric cars, and  corks shoved into the rear ends of cows isn't going to change what ever cyclic occurrences are taking place, these are the same changes that killed off the dinosaurs, and that covered the earth with ice,  and what ever the end result of the changes that we are seeing today our sciences as advanced as they are are not any more equipped today than the life forms were able to handle the heat and the ice of ages back.
 What the benefits of Global Warming/Climate Change are for science, the UN, the WHO, and big business is in the vast amounts of money and power that the GW/CC fraud is generating,  yes I said fraud,  lets forget for a moment the idiocy of Bill Gates plan to fill the lining of space with glittering shards of metalized paper to keep the suns UV rays from touching earth and ask our selves,  why is the US and most European industrialized nations (who have already done the heavy lifting to combat pollution) have all the restrictions and mandates placed on them and are charged huge amounts of carbon footprint monies,  and third world and developing nations get a pass to pollute at will, the air that they foul, the greenhouse gases that they release into the air all day to affect the ozone layer, are they not over our heads come nightfall ?
 All this money being paid into battling GW/CC by governments and corporations, most of which finds it's way to The UN and other globalist cabals, where does it end up,  how is it spent,  how does it stop what you would call a global threat of epic proportions,  riddle me that Batman ?   
 We as a society of the world I agree are facing the biggest threat to humanity that we have ever faced as a world of people united by shared danger,  but it ain't from the earths core temperature rising.   :pissed:         

Offline windy

• Mill File+
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2021, 09:01:22 AM »
We got into the 90's yesterday here in the great northwet; probably the same  through the weekend.  Still gets down to 60 overnight.  Nothing like the record temps in late June, when it hit 110 here at the house, and 108, I think, at Seatac airport.  Like most of us in older houses--mine was built in 1970--we don't have HVAC or serious add-on AC, but it's getting worse every year.  So far this year we have a record lack of rainfall; the rivers are way down, and now that the glaciers have melted on Mt. Rainier, there's not much snowmelt to take up the slack.  Might get the hunting season cut short if there's no relief in August or early September.  Critters are hurting; the grouse get worms when it's hot.  Reservoirs will be too low to engage in my favored hunting venues for deer and ducks; can't get a boat to the water, and I'm too old and feeble to carry my canoe.
Core samples from glacial ice tell us that our CO2 levels are up 30% in the last 200 years and 3/4 of that in the last 50, according to at least one serious study. At the current rate, we'll hit a level the earth hasn't seen in 2 million years in a few decades.  Kind of glad I won't be around for that; hope my kids can find another planet.

windy

Offline boomer

• Whetstone +
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2021, 10:01:22 AM »

I don't think anyone is denying that there are weather changes happening across the globe,  I think the skepticism is more about the henny penny people running around predicting that the world as we know it will end in 12 years, or that man has the capacity or super ability either mentally or physically to alter the climate or whip Mother Nature into compliance just because we say so.
 Climate changes that we are seeing today are not man made and all the wind mills, solar panels, electric cars, and  corks shoved into the rear ends of cows isn't going to change what ever cyclic occurrences are taking place, these are the same changes that killed off the dinosaurs, and that covered the earth with ice,  and what ever the end result of the changes that we are seeing today our sciences as advanced as they are are not any more equipped today than the life forms were able to handle the heat and the ice of ages back.
 What the benefits of Global Warming/Climate Change are for science, the UN, the WHO, and big business is in the vast amounts of money and power that the GW/CC fraud is generating,  yes I said fraud,  lets forget for a moment the idiocy of Bill Gates plan to fill the lining of space with glittering shards of metalized paper to keep the suns UV rays from touching earth and ask our selves,  why is the US and most European industrialized nations (who have already done the heavy lifting to combat pollution) have all the restrictions and mandates placed on them and are charged huge amounts of carbon footprint monies,  and third world and developing nations get a pass to pollute at will, the air that they foul, the greenhouse gases that they release into the air all day to affect the ozone layer, are they not over our heads come nightfall ?
 All this money being paid into battling GW/CC by governments and corporations, most of which finds it's way to The UN and other globalist cabals, where does it end up,  how is it spent,  how does it stop what you would call a global threat of epic proportions,  riddle me that Batman ?   
 We as a society of the world I agree are facing the biggest threat to humanity that we have ever faced as a world of people united by shared danger,  but it ain't from the earths core temperature rising.   :pissed:       

Interesting observations but generally incorrect.

Weather is local while climate is global. Just definition things. Higher temps in a city is weather. A "heat dome" over the NW with hundreds of people dying and massive die offs of marine life and the like is Climate. Same goes for the millions of folks forced to migrate from now uninhabitable areas.

While climate does and has seen changes it is both the rates of change and the causes that makes our situation different. Kind of like taking the stairs from the roof of a tall building to jumping off the roof instead. As Windy noted humans have been pumping CO2, Methane etc into the atmosphere in increasing quantities over the last couple centuries to basically destabilize climate systems in undeniable ways. We still are and more so. Thats just fact.

As to the motivations and machinations of businesses, governments and the rest today well, its wise to be skeptical but that's getting into politics and we're past that. Or better be.  At the same time global solutions require active cooperation on scales no individual or single group can begin to handle.  Its a tough nut to crack.

Other contradictory statements in the reply seem more related to understandable confusion given the scale of the problems we face. No offense intended.  But it seems fair to say that recognizing the seriousness of the problem is a good place to start from since it affects all of us and those who will follow.

Today the are some climate scientists who say we're pretty much toast but the majority say we can still (and must) act now. Either way the only choice no reputable climate scientists are advising is we just do nothing. Doing nothing essentially means business as usual.

Which is what we're doing.

It might be worth remembering the changes seen during the early parts of the Covid pandemic. If that doesn't make the situation painfully obvious i dont know what can.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2021, 11:43:44 AM »
Were in new territory folks  The discussion has moved from denial to deflection but our choices remain basically the same. This is not about politics, this is about threat global in scope and catastrophic in consequence.

Right now things don't look all that good.

hilarious.  Simply laughable

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2021, 01:36:27 PM »

Interesting observations but generally incorrect.

Weather is local while climate is global. Just definition things. Higher temps in a city is weather. A "heat dome" over the NW with hundreds of people dying and massive die offs of marine life and the like is Climate. Same goes for the millions of folks forced to migrate from now uninhabitable areas.

While climate does and has seen changes it is both the rates of change and the causes that makes our situation different. Kind of like taking the stairs from the roof of a tall building to jumping off the roof instead. As Windy noted humans have been pumping CO2, Methane etc into the atmosphere in increasing quantities over the last couple centuries to basically destabilize climate systems in undeniable ways. We still are and more so. Thats just fact.

As to the motivations and machinations of businesses, governments and the rest today well, its wise to be skeptical but that's getting into politics and we're past that. Or better be.  At the same time global solutions require active cooperation on scales no individual or single group can begin to handle.  Its a tough nut to crack.

Other contradictory statements in the reply seem more related to understandable confusion given the scale of the problems we face. No offense intended.  But it seems fair to say that recognizing the seriousness of the problem is a good place to start from since it affects all of us and those who will follow.

Today the are some climate scientists who say we're pretty much toast but the majority say we can still (and must) act now. Either way the only choice no reputable climate scientists are advising is we just do nothing. Doing nothing essentially means business as usual.

Which is what we're doing.

It might be worth remembering the changes seen during the early parts of the Covid pandemic. If that doesn't make the situation painfully obvious i dont know what can.

LOL, says you,  where did you get your Masters in world knowledge,  Schitt, we haven't agreed on much of anything since you signed on here, you continue to use the propaganda that spews from academia about everything from politics to the environment while you ignore the lessons of history. 
  Lets assume that you are on to something, if we (the collective we) act quickly and in force to implement all of the policies that science suggests,  where do we start ?,  we can assume that the time for all the rhetoric about the dire situation the world finds itself in is over,  it's time now for action,  what do we do first,  you're in charge,  we're waiting for direction,  what are your orders,  we've been hearing the warnings for years, we've been fed scare tactics,  reputable scientist have told us we are in deep crap if we do nothing,  other scientist, just as reputable, just as credible tell us it's just part of the earths cyclic patterns,  who do we believe and why is one story any more credible than the other ?
  We've been told that the Ice is melting at incredible rates in one part of the world, but it's growing at about the same rate in other places,  we were told that the Polar Bears were dying off in increasing numbers, but in reality their numbers are growing,  we were told that the sea levels were rising to dangerous levels and places like Florida, California, Hawaii, and our east coast will soon be lost and under water,  yet sea water levels have not increased above normal.
  All this brings back memories of my youth when science predicted the next big flood,  that the earth was drawing to close to the sun and that we would all burn up in 10 years, and then there was the new approaching Ice age, that was supposed to happen about 1970,  something must have got in the way.    :shrug:
  Didn't science also predict Y2K,  Allot of us bought into that,  nations almost went broke making preparations for that big event,  I was ready,  what a bust that was, I can't tell you how much spoiled food I threw out over that one, now I'm not poo-pooing any of the newest catastrophic events being predicted by science or by politicians,  but I'm also not jumping on any band wagon that passes this way.
  Granted,  there are allot of highly educated people in this world,  many of them speak with a great deal of credibility and authority,  yet I'm reminded of something a highly respected and intelligent man once told me, and that is that education alone is not an sure indication of intelligence,  that in many cases education can far surpass a persons intelligence. 
  I'm getting really tired of scientist, academics, and politicians telling we have to do something, and quickly,  I'm also tired of them spending billions of tax payer dollars supporting big green energy businesses that do nothing but cost us jobs and increase my energy costs,  I want to hear them tell me how they plan to stop the wind, divert the rain, stop Tornados, Hurricanes, and floods,  tell me how they are going to patch the ozone layer,  make the artic colder, make it rain more in South Dakota, and rain less and be cooler in New England.
  But of course that ain't going to happen,  because they can't do it,  they can only talk about it while they fill their coffers with grant money in order to keep on keeping on.   :pissed:         

And PS,  just so you know,  you aren't any smarter than most people even though you appear to believe you are,  it might be a good idea to stop looking down your nose at them,  you just might gain a bit more credibility with many of them.   :shrug:

Offline boomer

• Whetstone +
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2021, 03:19:26 PM »
Thank you for the repliy, ad hominem and all.

I understand the anti intellectual attitude and the confusion in citing differing scientific opinions. The fact is problems the size of global climate disruption requires  scientific consensus. General consensus in this case is greater than 95%. A sure thing? No but a good bet especially when predicted effects based on current modeling in a developing situation can be witnessed by everyone.  The high accuracy of modeling so far has fallen short only in one area-time frame. Events are proceeding much more rapidly than predicted.

The suggestion scientists disagree to any appreciable extent or there is no actual consensus is simply tobacco science updated and better funded. If one is searching for propaganda there's no need to look further. Or if one prefers simply consider the nonsense we are living through with Covid. So it goes.

What can we do right now you ask? Heres a few easy ones: reduce interstate speed limits to 55 mph; institute alternate day fueling for all but emergency  vehicles. It worked when Nixon did it. Itll work today. No new technology or investment just a willingness to act. And that is where we fail.

Technology and systems that have served us well for a hundred years have passed the point of diminishing  returns and now are becoming existential threats.  Instituting new technologies wil be difficult and have their own problems. That has always been the case; especially when the wealth and status of self identified elites is threatened.

I remember when polio came around every summer party lines were the way rotary phones were used, wrist watches only told the time ( if you'd wind them) and a color tv would draw a crowd on the street at the store window. I also remember  atomic weapons testing, duck and cover and people with numbers tattooed on their forearms. People don't always choose wisely.

Technology and systems change. Sometimes to our benefit but not always. Its not rocket surgery to just look around ans see things are going sideways. Those facts are undeniable. Still, denial is a choice. A choice tantamount to suicide but a choice nonetheless.

I hope we'll choose more wisely yhan that.

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2021, 08:58:26 PM »

That's crazy it's that hot their Phaedrus.  So where in South Dakota are you?  I have family up there and my grandparents had a lake house on Lake Oahe near Bush's Landing, probably about 45 mins or so from Pierre.  My uncle has a lake house near the same area now.  Just curious if you're close enough to hammer the walleye's or not.

I'm in Bozeman, Montana but I have some family in SD.  Driving back it was 20 degrees cooler by the time I reached Wyoming.  The elevation here is just shy of 5,000 feet so even if it gets hot in the day it's usually down in the 50's or high 40's at night.

I had an Exec Chef job for a while in Pierre, the most miserable place I've ever been!  Absolutely brutal heat and humidity but good fishing if you can stand the heat.  I lived in Sioux Falls for quite a while though.

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2021, 12:28:12 AM »
     It's been a hot dry spring and summer in North Dakota too. National weather service claims we are in drought conditions.
     I don't have livestock, but our little yard critters are hurting for water.
     I've been using stainless steel pans for water and change it every day for our cottontails, skunk, woodchucks and what few songbirds we have left.
     I float a piece of wood in the water to keep the  bees from drowning and that seems to work pretty well. I see a lot of other insects using the water too. I use stainless steel because the water seems to stay cooler and fresh longer but that's just a casual observation, no scientific measurements taken. I do find the stainless steel easier to clean the algae out of.
     The bigger animals like deer, fox and coyote drink from a bigger container. it's a 30 gallon plastic barrel cut down to about 5 inches.
     Ferrell cats have been a problem this summer. I suppose they come in for the water too, but they are hard on the songbirds and the baby rabbits. The live trap has gotten a workout the past couple of weeks. Caught a young fox in one today. Probably this springs kit. Let him/her loose, he/she scampered off at a pretty good clip but not in a full blown panic. I say he/she because I'm not about to tip it over to determine it's gender!
      Haven't caught sight of any raccoons this year. I've been really lucky in that they have not caused any damage in years past. But the fewer the better.
     Most people shoot the skunk on sight, no matter what, but I've found them to be great mousers. So, unless they exhibit unusual behavior, I let them be.
     I've got 7 cameras with infrared illumination covering the yard and one FLIR camera on a panning mount. It's amazing the amount of nocturnal activity that goes on in the yard. Even the bats make a regular appearance. But they're so fast, if you think you see one, you have to go back and walk through it frame by frame to verify it.
    Our slough holes have become contaminated with blue-green algae this year so clean water is hard to come by for our critters. Anyone else keep fresh water available for the neighbor hood critters and insects? This hot weather is hard on them too.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2021, 06:03:10 AM »
     It's been a hot dry spring and summer in North Dakota too. National weather service claims we are in drought conditions.
     I don't have livestock, but our little yard critters are hurting for water.
     I've been using stainless steel pans for water and change it every day for our cottontails, skunk, woodchucks and what few songbirds we have left.
     I float a piece of wood in the water to keep the  bees from drowning and that seems to work pretty well. I see a lot of other insects using the water too. I use stainless steel because the water seems to stay cooler and fresh longer but that's just a casual observation, no scientific measurements taken. I do find the stainless steel easier to clean the algae out of.
     The bigger animals like deer, fox and coyote drink from a bigger container. it's a 30 gallon plastic barrel cut down to about 5 inches.
     Ferrell cats have been a problem this summer. I suppose they come in for the water too, but they are hard on the songbirds and the baby rabbits. The live trap has gotten a workout the past couple of weeks. Caught a young fox in one today. Probably this springs kit. Let him/her loose, he/she scampered off at a pretty good clip but not in a full blown panic. I say he/she because I'm not about to tip it over to determine it's gender!
      Haven't caught sight of any raccoons this year. I've been really lucky in that they have not caused any damage in years past. But the fewer the better.
     Most people shoot the skunk on sight, no matter what, but I've found them to be great mousers. So, unless they exhibit unusual behavior, I let them be.
     I've got 7 cameras with infrared illumination covering the yard and one FLIR camera on a panning mount. It's amazing the amount of nocturnal activity that goes on in the yard. Even the bats make a regular appearance. But they're so fast, if you think you see one, you have to go back and walk through it frame by frame to verify it.
    Our slough holes have become contaminated with blue-green algae this year so clean water is hard to come by for our critters. Anyone else keep fresh water available for the neighbor hood critters and insects? This hot weather is hard on them too.

:thumbsup:

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2021, 09:59:13 AM »
I'm in Bozeman, Montana but I have some family in SD.  Driving back it was 20 degrees cooler by the time I reached Wyoming.  The elevation here is just shy of 5,000 feet so even if it gets hot in the day it's usually down in the 50's or high 40's at night.

I had an Exec Chef job for a while in Pierre, the most miserable place I've ever been!  Absolutely brutal heat and humidity but good fishing if you can stand the heat.  I lived in Sioux Falls for quite a while though.

That's cool.  My cousins lived in Colume, near Winner, and when we were visiting around the holidays we always had to make the Sioux Falls trip to Cabelas!  Spent quite a bit of Christmas money there.   Good times...

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2021, 08:04:02 AM »
When I lived in Colorado we hunted Pheasants a few miles North of Colome.  Stayed in Winner.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline windy

• Mill File+
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2021, 11:17:51 AM »
We hit 100+ again yesterday, headed for higher tomorrow.  Won't see Mt. Rainier today; she's hiding her buck-naked flanks in a thick robe of smoke, borrowed from our northern neighbor's forest fires.  That Canadian smoke pours down the Frazer River canyon and busts our chops this side of the Cascades.  I got up to my campsites in our mostly-neglected spur of the National Forest on Wednesday; got a garbage bag of beer cans and plastic bottles and crud and a visit with a feller that's hidin' out up there; don't know who he's runnin' from but I'd half guess it's somebody's husband--maybe two of them.  Saw half-dozen grouse, blues and ruffs, and got challenged by a little doe, who made a false charge when I got too close to her fawn, accidently.  Might be the heat and dryness had her stressed a bit.  Didn't hafta drown any campfires, but there'd been a fair few since I checked the sites 3 weeks ago.  Game dept. don't want us fishin' the rivers any more 'til we get some rain.  I'll keep the Indian pump and the pulaski in the 4Runner until we do.
Hope you fellers are able to get out a bit; it helps to have the good guys out there runnin' herd on the bad 'uns!
windy

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2021, 12:09:26 PM »
So we just got back from 60 degrees in the morning to sweating immediately stepping out the door.

hmmm. Came back too soon.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2021, 06:44:30 PM »
Yeah, but we missed you.
(Mark Twain)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2021, 02:47:39 PM »
Well here is another day for the record books.  Don't know what the temp is out in the fields but on my deck it is HOT.

This was at 2:00 pm or so.
(Mark Twain)

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2021, 05:05:37 PM »
Wow!  I don't want to tell you my weather here today...but I will anyways :P   mid 70's and lots of rain...it was glorious!   :banana:

Offline Icepick15

• Whetstone +
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2021, 02:54:29 PM »
Mississippi Gulf Coast.......2:54 PM

Mostly cloudy sky.
Ambient temperature-------a brisk 96*F
Heat Index------------------a balmy 111*F
Retired LEO--40 years on the job
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2021, 03:26:59 PM »
On our morning hike I farted.  It caught fire.  But the humidity put it out.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2021, 05:18:36 PM »
 :shocked: :shocked:
(Mark Twain)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2021, 05:20:42 PM »

Mostly cloudy sky.

I guess we are lucky to have really low humidity most of the time. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Icepick15

• Whetstone +
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2021, 10:29:16 PM »

Mostly cloudy sky.

I guess we are lucky to have really low humidity most of the time.

If I remember correctly, the relative humidity was around 60%, which pretty much qualifies as "arid" around here this time of year.
Retired LEO--40 years on the job
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2021, 04:36:44 AM »
We're finally getting some relief!  It's 45 degrees F right now! :D

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2021, 04:40:41 AM »
We're finally getting some relief!  It's 45 degrees F right now! :D

45 degrees sounds wonderful. 

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2021, 01:27:53 PM »
I'm trying to walk everyday so I don't lose ground in my typical age obesity.  I always lose in NC.  Then start packing it back on down here.  So we are out in the forest hiking the dogs everyday.  Sweat like a horse. 

Remember that saying," Horses sweat.  Men perspire.  And women get dewy."  Kelly and I sweat.

Max HATES the heat.  He'll get out.  Search for the perfect spot.  Take a dump.  Then go back to the truck and wait for us to turn the ac on.  No walking for him.  He does get a little frisky after dark.

Tellico is raring to go... at first.  As soon as he realizes we're turning around, he hot foots it back to the truck.  Then sleeps all day.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2021, 05:27:39 PM »
I used to hunt pheasants in Kansas with a few guys every year.  One of them had a cocker spaniel for a hunting dog.  He tried to train it but it was kind of a dumb dog and things never went well.  It finally had enough I guess.  It would dutifully come along acting like a hunting dog until the first shot went off.  Then it high tailed it back to the vehicles and crawled under one until we returned.  Didn't matter if it was hot or cold. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2021, 05:55:59 AM »
I think I missed my shot at pheasant hunting while I lived in Illinois.  Now I don't really want to kill anything.  Kinda going through the motions.  We have dove fields and duck hunting here.  But it's a PIA to find the areas.  I think I might start pig hunting.  We have plenty of those.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2021, 09:27:15 AM »
I see a few of those videos.  Lot of pigs around it appears.  If that means more bacon I am all for it.
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2021, 10:12:50 AM »
The big problem with hog hunting is you either need a winning lottery ticket to hunt wildlife management areas or (better) a friend that's land rich.  We've been looking at land down here for a long time.  I guess it's a good thing we hesitated.  The meth head community has expanded outwards from Ocala into the forest.  We carry daily but neither one of us wants to shoot somebody.  Especially over property.  Relocating is a stop gap measure.  So we're here in town to stay.  Can't really afford to pop for real estate we don't live on.  And I don't like calling in markers to hunt somebodies land.  If they offer, that's cool. 

When did life become so complicated?

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2021, 12:18:10 PM »

When did life become so complicated?

I think when there became so much of it. According to the US Census, there are twice as many people now than there was in 1954. On a Sunday morning in 1970 we took a trip from Grand Forks ND to Fargo ND and saw maybe 10 cars. Interstate 29 was not open yet so it was two lane blacktop. Now, the amount of traffic on a Sunday morning numbers in the low hundreds. Riding motorcycle now is not nearly as relaxing or as much fun as it was back then.

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2021, 12:41:46 PM »
I'll never swing a leg over a bike again in FL.  I have too many close calls in my truck.  You'ld think I'd ride up in NC.  But they built a heli pad on both ends of the Dragon's Tail.  They can maybe sorta get the broken bodies to the ER sooner that way. 

I've put my family and friends through hell worrying about me in the hospital for months.  Consider me retired from riding.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2021, 01:18:48 PM »
I still ride.  Currently have two bikes and the street model is a Yamaha Super Tenere.  Not the fastest bike I ever rode but it will scare the bejeezus out of you on full throttle and is a whiz on the gravel and dirt you have ride to get out on the hard road.  Not as much traffic in this area except during the Sturgis Rally and then it is mostly other bikes.  I relate to high traffic as we lived in Denver for a long time and moved here to get away from it.  Motorcycles are something I have ridden since I was 14 and there probably will be one for another three to five years.  The Yamaha is too heavy for me to push around but when it is moving I am twenty five again and invincible even though I know I am not.
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2021, 01:33:46 PM »
Hushnel and I discussed a cross country ride through Mussel Shoals and Sturgis.  Still thinking,

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2021, 01:38:08 PM »
     Friend of mine passed away about a month ago in Keystone SD. Quiet 2 lane blacktop. 3 motorcycles involved. 63 years old, former chief of police for a small town, Not exactly the hog doggin type on an Indian motorcycle.
     16 year old granddaughter wants a motorcycle. 30 years ago I might have bought her one. Now, I'm more inclined towards gettin' her a Kenworth.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2021, 04:35:18 PM »
I read about that crash and fatality.  The person on the Indian who was killed, according to the State Patrol report, crossed the center line of the roadway and hit another motorcycle coming the other way.  If that was the case it was the riders fault, no helmet and likely going too fast for the curve.  The guy he hit survived with serious non-life threatening injuries.  A sad but not infrequent type of crash every year during the rally.   
(Mark Twain)

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2021, 07:38:08 PM »
   Your correct on all counts Stan. Not having been there, but knowing the rider, I would not discount a car hot doggin' that stretch of road earlier in the day or the night before.  If he/she cut a little to deep into the corner and pulled a little gravel onto the pavement from the shoulder, well, it makes things difficult for a motorcycle later.  Just sayin'.
    One lapse in concentration is all it takes sometimes. May he rest in peace.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2021, 08:26:54 PM »
The guy on third motorcycle was not injured but I don't know if he was with the guy you knew or the other guy.  He might know what happened but in the end, paraphrasing Hillary said, "what difference does it make?"  Sad deal all around.
(Mark Twain)

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2021, 12:01:45 AM »
     Indeed.
     On a lighter note. Our high today was 66*F. What a welcome relief from the past few weeks of highs in the 90's. I know we're spoiled, never getting those highs well into the triple digits. Maybe it's compensation for those days we spend in the -30's*F.