Author Topic: Snapping Turtle  (Read 843 times)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
Snapping Turtle
« on: August 08, 2021, 11:01:13 AM »
While  checking how the irrigation was going this morning I came across this in my alfalfa field.  Not the biggest we have seen here but sure in the top ten.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
Re: Snapping Turtle
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2021, 02:20:24 PM »
Did you kill that? IF so I hope you're cooking and eating it.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2021, 03:54:50 PM »
A friend is coming by to cut it up and cook it.  He has done several over the years and likes the meat. I will try it, but have never been  too enthusiastic about eating one. 

We don't set traps for them but will pick them up if we see them.  They kill a lot of young waterfowl and destroy a lot of nests. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2021, 04:03:09 PM »
They are yummy!  Don't be afraid of trying some if you get the chance! :drool:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2021, 04:27:20 PM »
I think he soaks it in cold water for a day or so, then rolls it in flour or corn meal, fry's it a bit, and then bakes it for a couple of hours.  I might be wrong though.

Having seen what these things will eat is likely why I am reluctant to eat one.  Rotten meat, and anything it encounters like snakes and dead fish.  I once had a cow die and fall in the seasonal creek that runs out of my reservoir.  When we went to pull it out of the creek there were three large snappers that came with it as we drug it up on the pasture. 

(Mark Twain)

Offline OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2021, 04:14:31 AM »
I suppose that is their role in this world...help clean up the dead stuff.  They are kind of neat though.  They really have that prehistoric look to them.  We would catch them as kids cat fishing now and then at the golf course ponds.  We would usually lop their heads off.  We would wade in the water for golf balls and sell them to the passing golfers...whenever we caught one we were always afraid we'd step on it later...When they get to be dinner plate size and up they are kind of scary..

If you try eating it I would be curious to hear what you thought of it.   Cool find!
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2021, 08:04:23 AM »
Yeah, You ahve to try it for all of us. I bet it's not far off from Gator? There are a lot of exotic meats in a small town meat shop. I want to buy some rattle snake but it looks very old and freezer burned. I guess I gotta find a live one.....
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2021, 08:45:07 AM »
XJ I used to have a farm in eastern Colorado that was in their habitat.  The place next to mine had a cistern that in some years would yield up to 100 snakes.  They were selling the the venom to some guy who would come and milk them.  Some would then go to a guy who made freeze dried things from the snakes and from the skin.  They would save a few for a BBQ once in awhile.  I can tell you it don't taste like chicken.
(Mark Twain)

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2021, 04:25:53 AM »
No, it does not taste like chicken.  To me they have almost a clam like tast, but much gamier.  Might have been the way I have cooked them (roasted over a fire), but I have found that Sweet Babay Rays BBQ sauce helps a lot.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2021, 09:03:39 AM »
Crash, especially if you toss out the snake and just eat the Baby Ray's.
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2021, 12:11:34 PM »
Snapping turtle is great breaded and fried...

...so are cat turds.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2021, 01:54:34 PM »

Snapping turtle is great breaded and fried...

...so are cat turds.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2021, 03:22:19 PM »
I suppose that is their role in this world...help clean up the dead stuff.  They are kind of neat though.  They really have that prehistoric look to them.  We would catch them as kids cat fishing now and then at the golf course ponds.  We would usually lop their heads off.  We would wade in the water for golf balls and sell them to the passing golfers...whenever we caught one we were always afraid we'd step on it later...When they get to be dinner plate size and up they are kind of scary..

If you try eating it I would be curious to hear what you thought of it.   Cool find!

I used to caddy at a high end country club.  We went along the creeks looking for golf balls too.  I think back then, about 1958 or 59 we got a quarter apiece for the good ones and zip for the cracked or scored balls.  We got a few snappers too and were scared of reaching down to get a ball and get bitten.  Hadn't thought about it for quite a long time.

I don't know when it will get eaten but if I do decide to try it I will let you know.
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2021, 02:17:36 PM »
Our alligator snapping turtles are huge.  They are perfectly capable of chomping a hand off.  But mostly they are old and lazy.  Ya roll the dice.  Ya take your chances.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2021, 04:20:34 PM »
We used to have a guy in our blackpowder club that worked on a railroad trestle crew.  He was a master turtle trapper and caught a lot of them.  At every rendezvous that I can ever remember attending, he & his wife would bring 3 big roasters full of turtle meat for feeding the masses.  It was delicious and very tender & moist, but the bones were weirdly shaped and nothing like any I've ever seen in any other critter. :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2021, 04:51:13 PM »
I believe everything you say but I am still trepidatious about that meat.  Now you add strange bones. 

(Mark Twain)

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2021, 08:30:05 AM »
True story.
My BIL and I paddled up a creek (FL).  Looking to score some meat.  We hit the Oklawaha River and were excited to cast for bass.  There was a huge commotion in the lily pads.  We thought that we were blessed to observe an alligator eating a deer (It was that big).  Turns out .  It was two alligator snapping turtles doing the dirty deed.  They had no concern for us back in the weeds.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2021, 06:48:18 PM »
I saw a video on them awhile back.  They get pretty damn big and that set of jaws is kind of spooky.  That said the narrator said that the regular Snappers are more aggressive than the Gator type.   :shrug:
(Mark Twain)