Author Topic: Svord peasant knife  (Read 181 times)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
Svord peasant knife
« on: September 04, 2021, 10:27:50 PM »
I picked this up a couple of years ago and never used it.  Made in New Zealand, high carbon steel.  Comes with a lifetime guarantee on the materials.  Easy to sharpen and if it is used a lot you probably get used to keeping your thumb on the top of the blade so it doesn't fold up on your finger.   :P

Cut some cord with it and it would likely make a good skinner for small game.  These sell on line for as little as $20. 

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
Re: Svord peasant knife
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 05:04:37 AM »
I like the look of those.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2021, 06:30:41 AM »

I've kind of been intrigued by that style of knife but never owned one,  I have had a few styles of Penny knives (17th & 18th century folders) that came close, and I almost bought a Case folder with that style blade called a Russ Lock folder, but never pulled the trigger.
  As I understand it the Case type folders have a main spring that serves to hold the blade either closed or open under the springs tension, but the lower priced Svord type knives simply rely on friction, and often wondered how you keep them from opening up in your pocket ?
  As far as cutting goes I've rarely encountered a knife from those parts of the world that didn't have top quality blades. 
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2021, 08:27:20 AM »
I don't think I'd carry a friction folder in my pocket without it being in a little slip case.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2021, 08:45:36 AM »
I worry about carrying this knife in a pocket too.  I think a small belt sheath would be better.  I am leaning towards just leaving it on my desk to use as a letter opener.  It does have a great edge on it when it gets here but I think it is put on by hand with a belt grinder as the contour is not exactly the same on both sides.  Close but just a slight bit different.

Like Dave, I like the looks of this knife and his idea of a slip would work for me too.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)