Author Topic: Another waste of time and material but hey what else ya gonna do  (Read 8015 times)

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
  • Florida Cracker since 1960
Take a valuable piece of Black Walnut aged near a hundred years since harvested and make a stock for a Daisy Buck BB gun.

An impulse purchase when it was on sale for $15 bucks, it's made for a small child which made the trigger way to close to my eyes. I wasn't really planning on cutting a piece of this walnut but it was the only board thick enough and less valuable than my other stock, which was a little too modern in it's milled thickness.

Anyhow,

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: Another waste of time and material but hey what else ya gonna do
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 05:05:19 PM »
My grandma had one that looked like that.  I think it was called 'The Cub' back in those days......she was pretty good with it too.    She hated stray dogs in her garden! :pissed:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline SIXFOOTER

• Whetstone +
  • Wandering Smartass
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 05:06:07 PM »
Nice Work
Maker of all things Archaic, Hoarder of Gear and Fluent speaker of BS
Sixfooter got bit by a snake like that once, then after 4 agonizing days... The snake finally died....

Offline Quenchcrack

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 07:00:32 PM »
I gave my son a Daisy when he was 8 years old.  Despite my training, first thing he did was shoot through a big glass window.  I took it away from him.   He's 36 now and the Daisy is still in my closet.  He never shot it again.

Nice job on yours!
I guess he'd rather be in Colorado.
-John Denver

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 07:12:00 PM »
Careful Hush, you'll put your eye out!

Nice job on the stock.  I bet the BB gun feels honored.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 06:34:54 AM »
I use these BB guns often. Practice with them is cheap. My front yard target is like a used Coke can wind chime. The cans swing back and forth. One of the hardest shots was trying to concentrate and hit the target while the damn cat is rubbing up against my legs.

The iconic Dasiy Red Ryder, purchased at Tractor Suppy for $20.00. I sanded the factory finish off of it and liked the white, then just clear coated it. My first Dasiy modification. I keep it in a Tactical Rifle scabbard. 

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 07:04:22 PM »
Nice.. on both of them!!   I've been plucking chipmunks with mine since I got it.   I hate chipmunks....

WW
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 07:32:09 PM »
Tree Rats around here, but Smokey has them well under control. Last year I was looking out the kitchen window and watching that damn cat looking a clumps of grass then crouching and jumping on them. I figured he had finally lost his mind, attacking clumps of grass like that so being of a much higher standing in the evolutionary line continued to observe his strange behavior.

He did it about three maybe four times on the last one their was a bit of a struggle and he pops up with and mole in his jaws. I'm getting to like cats, well at least this one. He really acts more like a dog most of the time though.

Quenchcrack Wrap it up and put it under the tree for him this Christmas. He's probably grown out of shooting Windows by now "o)

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2016, 08:24:58 PM »
I guess you weren't kidding Hush,
           You really do like lever guns
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2016, 09:30:07 PM »
Yeah, pretty much. I do have a few more modern firearms if you can consider a 1911 modern "o) My Blaser R93 is kind of cool, though I can barely see as far as it can shoot.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 10:21:37 AM »
I like the new stock. It really goes well with the black metal.

I have been using my Red Ryder on a similar pop can target in my yard. I get about 50 shots on a can before it pretty much disintegrates. :D

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 01:25:29 PM »
I love the black walnut, I'm thinking maybe I'll do an inlay with abalone and Mother of Pearl. I got a crap load of the stuff from previous instrument building projects.

The B&B logo in Abalone followed by the Kracaneuner in it's Loki Cola font in Mother of Pearl aught to convince the world I am just about as nuts as one can get "o)

You woldn't have a line drawing of the logo would ya, it'd save me a bit of time redoing it. Maybe Nick has a file he can email me.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 08:21:53 PM »
I don't have a line drawing but we do have the drawing posted in a thread here somewhere.

Found it!

http://bladesandbushlore.com/index.php?topic=9537.msg178162#msg178162

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2016, 08:29:30 PM »
Thanks the black and white one will work.

Offline Unknown

• Water Stone
  • Alcholocost of Gibber-jabber
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2016, 08:32:17 PM »
I love the black walnut, I'm thinking maybe I'll do an inlay with abalone and Mother of Pearl. I got a crap load of the stuff from previous instrument building projects.

The B&B logo in Abalone followed by the Kracaneuner in it's Loki Cola font in Mother of Pearl aught to convince the world I am just about as nuts as one can get "o)

You woldn't have a line drawing of the logo would ya, it'd save me a bit of time redoing it. Maybe Nick has a file he can email me.

That would probably look nice, go for it!

Engraving the receiver, that might convince me
...don't go thinking you know me.
                                                  -Unknown

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2016, 09:04:59 AM »
Engraving the receiver, that might convince me

Of my likely insanity?  "o)

Not much meat on the sheet metal, punched out, receiver, I've done some etching and on glass and scrimshaw on bone but graving metal I haven't attempted yet, I'm not sure my eyes are good enough plus the tools are kind of pricy. I've considered checkering tools but they aren't cheep either.

I had a guy engrave my Damascus Buck 110, at least 15 years ago.

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2016, 09:30:56 AM »
I gave my son a Daisy when he was 8 years old.  Despite my training, first thing he did was shoot through a big glass window.  I took it away from him.   He's 36 now and the Daisy is still in my closet.  He never shot it again.

Nice job on yours!

I received my first bb gun when I was eight or nine for Christmass. Took it out back to use it. I was curious so I took my boot off and shot it, no hole so I put the boot back on and shot my foot. Boy it hurt. My dad watched it happen, came outside calmly took the gun away, did not see it til the next year. We still laugh about it
Nice matters

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2016, 09:54:43 AM »
I think we all did stupid stuff at that age. I killed a bird when I first got mine and felt horrible when it died. In retrospect it was an important lesson in consequence of actions.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2016, 12:10:23 PM »
I committed the same sin when I first received my Red Ryder.  "All the other kids do it," was not a satifactory response that my dad wanted to hear.   So, not only did I feel remorse for my wanton deed, but Dad informed me that our family did not shoot anything we did not intend to eat and that all creatures have as much right to live on God's green earth as I do.  I never forgot it.
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline hushnel

• Water Stone
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2016, 12:49:33 PM »
Dad didn't say a word to me, I think he figured he didn't need to. Like I said, I was very upset. It was a thoughtless act and it was fairly appearant I realized it.

I think he'd have been concerned if I reacted differently. He told me later he had done the same thing as a kid and reacted the same way I did.

I worry that the kids today are being desensitized to violence with gaming, paintball, air soft and media programming, but I could be wrong.

Offline Orbean

• Water Stone
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2016, 04:09:47 PM »
I think we all did stupid stuff at that age. I killed a bird when I first got mine and felt horrible when it died. In retrospect it was an important lesson in consequence of actions.

Unfortunately, I learned the same lesson the same way.
Nice matters

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2016, 04:30:57 PM »
I killed a Robin with a rock when I was little.  When I got a bb gun that lesson was learned so I  broke the side window on my Dad's Nash Metropolitan.   :-X
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)