Author Topic: Camillus Electricians knife  (Read 900 times)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
Camillus Electricians knife
« on: February 22, 2021, 12:01:38 PM »
A few weeks ago I picked up this Camillus electricians knife at a local gun show.  It is an older one made when Camillus was in New York and long before their name was being put on $5 knives from China.

Nothing real special about this folder.  It has a 2 1/2" folding blade and a screwdriver.  The screwdriver  blade has a dull edge that could be sharpened if one wanted to.  It is kind of a handy knife to carry around the farm.  The screwdriver blade is held by a liner lock when open.  The knife blade is a simple friction folder.  Very tight on this one too, a fingernail breaker if you are not careful when using the nail nick.  I have seen some of these knives with a metal loop on the end to fasten to a clip but this one has no sign of one being on it.  The handle is some type of plastic, Delrin perhaps, but feels good in the hand.  The liner lock is brass and protrudes from the knife in a manner making it easy to use with your thumb. 

The knife is 3 5/8" closed and 6 3/8" long with the screwdriver blade open and locked.  Model is a TL 29 I think and the steel is carbon steel, either 1095 or 0170-6C depending on when it was made.  These were supplied to the military under contract and were regarded as well made knives.

The Camillus is the black knife in the photo.  The other is a Grohman belt knife I posted earlier.   

I was happy with how this one cleaned up and have been carrying it in a small belt sheath.  It seems to be quite easy to sharpen and holds its edge well so far.  I was cutting a lot of cardboard boxes down to throw away the other day and it was still pretty sharp when I finished.  In some ways it reminds my of my old Boy Scout knife without all the other blades probably due to the shape of the knife blade.  I got this one for $8.00.  I see them online for $2.25 plus shipping on the low end to well over $125 if in as new or unused condition.  :-\

Boker made a knife almost exactly like this one, a model 9229 with a different brown handle material.  I don't know who copied whom.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 03:42:27 PM by wsdstan »
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
Re: Camillus Electricians knife
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 12:33:44 PM »
Can't tell you how many of those I went through during my time in the Navy.  They are a very handy knife.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 01:51:04 PM »
I always thought that would be a useful design and came close to actually buying one a couple of times....not yet, though.  I was drawn to the longer screwdriver blade more than anything else.  Fortunately, you found an older Camillus with a carbon blade in great shape! :thumbsup:    I haven't, so far.  I did a quick search for a similar knife with carbon steel blades and what looks to be a pretty decent clone for just a little more than what you paid.  It's from an electrical supply outfit, so it might be a decent substitute...

https://www.cableranch.com/gardner-bender-kf-200-2-in-1-electricians-knife-carbon-steel/?utm_campaign=gs-2019-02-18&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=CjwKCAiAyc2BBhAaEiwA44-wW87yXvok0MmBHVja_X0DTc-qIEq5F3O6pZwJ-AxawrRj-zeUDexrLBoCwucQAvD_BwE
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 03:34:22 PM »
There are quite a few on evilbay right now and some are pretty low priced.  Hard to tell how good some are but a couple of them look okay. 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1311&_nkw=camillus+electrician+knife&_sacat=0
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 01:07:40 AM »
US Navy standard issue for many years. Brought one home with me for EDC. A few years later, it was accidentally planted in a pasture somewhere.
It never germinated, so it was defective in that regard. Just like the Vise Grips and Crescent wrenches.
They are all biodegradable though, because they never show up again. And fast too. Just a few minutes and there is no trace of them.

After the TL29 I moved to the Shrade 340T for EDC. Always kind of missed the screwdriver/mini prybar of the TL29 though.

Offline Sarge

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 07:23:20 AM »
Nice, Stan. I've got a couple those electrician's knives. One belonged to my father-in-law... seems like it is a Cattaraugus. I picked up the the pliers and leather pouch that holds the knife and pliers.

I really like the Grohman!
"The man with the knapsack is never lost." Horace Kephart (1862-1931)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 08:28:34 AM »
I will look up the Cattaraugus Sarge.  Wasn't aware of that one.  I like the knife but do miss the pliers so I carry a Leatherman Skeletool also. 

The Grohman is a decent pocket knife for those times you don't need a fixed blade belt knife.     Mine is relegated to cutting the strings on big round bales when unrolling them in the feed yard. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline NMpops

• Mill File
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2021, 07:40:05 PM »
You do realize that as a contract knife they were made by several companies.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2021, 07:52:40 PM »
I do but Camillus made the one I have. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2021, 10:30:08 AM »

I have the Boker made model with the clip loop,  it's identical to the Camillus that is pictured in this thread,  I bought it in the early '70's and carried for several years until I found a Shrade four blade stockman that was a handier pocket knife for me at the time,  I still have both knives and both are in nice shape although at some time in it's life I lost the shield that was glued to one the scales,  both were and are excellent knives,  outside of a little pocket wear on the scales a bolsters they don't show much wear,  they just don't make traditional pocket knives like that anymore.
  I have a Case three blade medium size serpentine stockman that has yellow scales that I really liked,  I bought it about ten years ago, and it's been a problem knife ever since,  it made of their Cro-Van carbon steel and it's rusts like it was designed to,  I don't have any issues with my vintage Case knives or any of my other pocket knives,  but this one will rust up enough to cover the blades and bond them to the frame in just a week of carrying it in my left front pants pocket (where all of my slip joint pocket knives have lived since I was five years old.
  I called Case and told them about the rusting problem, the CS girl I talked to said "oh, you must have one of the CV steel models" (so I'm not the only one with that issue, she sought of implied that those are made more for collecting than using), so she offered to replace it with a stainless knife of the same model, all I had to do was send it back to them and they'd get a replacement knife out to me.
  If I'd wanted a stainless knife I'd have bought one to begin with,  I told her I'd think about it,  I never sent it back, I kept it on my workbench for odd small cutting jobs,  two weeks ago I used it and put it in my pocket by mistake,  three days later it was full of rust again,  so I cleaned it up and gave it a coat of Balistol and let it set overnight, the next morning I started to wipe it off and found that one of the main springs had broken in half, it was a $50.00 Case knife, it was a POS when I bought it and it's still a POS laying on my work bench right now.
 I called Case on Tuesday afternoon and got an answering machine giving me their business hours from 9:00am ~ 5:00pm,  it was three o'clock in the afternoon, WTF.
 So, I don't know if I should even bother calling back,  It just galls me that another good company has joined the throw away quality culture and it's only care is the bottom line.    :pissed:
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.