Author Topic: Tuna Fish Hotdish  (Read 2871 times)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
Tuna Fish Hotdish
« on: March 03, 2012, 01:17:42 PM »
Tuna Fish Hotdish

1 large pkg. potato chips.  ( I used a ripple type chip)
1 can tuna fish  ( I used canned in water,drained )
4 Hard boiled eggs  (umm.. used frozen peas)
1 can cr. of Mushroom soup
1 c. up milk

Place layers of chips, tuna, eggs in a baking dish with salt and pepper.  Add milk to the soup and pour over the layers.   Bake covered for  20 mins in a moderate oven.  ( 350*)   ( I saved a few chips to crush over the top)

Note:  I did mine in my small cast iron pot and put it into the toaster oven to bake.  I want to try this one out on a fire pit this spring. 

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
Re: Tuna Fish Hotdish
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 09:17:15 PM »
Let me guess.. nobody likes potato chips?   :P

**** looks in cookbook for something with BACON in it *****

WW.  :)
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline easy_rider75

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 09:40:28 PM »
LMAO  that  sounds like a dish I would make  sounds good :D
?I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.?~Frank Sinatra~

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 10:21:14 PM »
You always hear that cheese and fish is a culinary faux pas, but tuna helper is pretty good to my palate. I wonder how a little cheese melted on under the broiler would work with this dish, particularly with the crumbled chips on top?

I'll bet some minced onions (just a bit, maybe 2 tablespoons) would work well in there too.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 06:36:36 AM »
I am gonna try that one. Our recipe that we call "tuna noodle hotdish", uses elbow noodles, cheese, a veggie like canned peas or green beans, maybe some chopped celery, green peppers & onions ( whatever we have available/decide on to add), & cream of mushroom soup.
But I am gonna try yours in the next week or so.
Mouth is watering already!
 :D
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline Professor

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 06:46:31 AM »
This sounds good.  Potato chips provide an interesting variation; I will have to try this. Thanks for posting.
...and I'll see you soon!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 09:04:25 AM »
  Two dishes we used to make when the kids were growing up at home included canned tuna and canned salmon.
  The first was a Mac & Cheese with tuna,  the other was a layered salmon pie,  it mas made with a layer of mashed potato covered by a layer of canned salmon covered by another layer of mashed potato,  and a tin layer of green peas on top of that.

As I can remember,  at the time it seemed like pretty good stuff,  but ever since the cat has come to live with us nobody can stand canned salmon or tuna any more,  well except for Henry,  he's the cat.   :)
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.