Author Topic: Lets talk Coffee  (Read 326 times)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Lets talk Coffee
« on: April 25, 2021, 09:54:14 AM »

I love a good cup of coffee just about anytime but mostly in the morning, it seems to help clear the eyes and get the old pump primed for a new day,  trouble is I haven't had a good cup of coffee in months, for thee last month or so I've been drinking tea instead.
 My favorite brand and roast have been out of stock ever since the first run on grocery stores when all this pandemic BS started, when the smoke cleared and the shelves started getting stocked again so did the brand, but out of the several different roast types only one returned (Dark Columbian Roast) and it's terrible, it's bitter, and has an acidic bite.
 I usually keep a good stock of Coffee in my pantry, at least six 11 oz. cans (it's fine grind and only needs two two teaspoons per cup instead of the normal three) minimum,  well, I used them up waiting for my favorite to get restocked, and when it didn't I bought a few cans of what they did have, and it sucks, but being a frugal (spelled cheap) man I've resigned myself to using it up a little at a time and shopping for my favorite in some other store, Walmart opened a super store/food market a few towns over and I think they carry it,  I could get it on line but at twice the price plus shipping, and that goes against my grain.

But that's not what this post is about exactly (I know what you're thinking, Geeze, he at it again), and you'd be half right, The wife and I are doing some spring cleaning and rearranging in the house and while I was moving some of our long term emergency supplies last week it dawned on me that I hadn't included coffee in our preps, so I went in search (on line) for pre packaged coffee, I found several quality long term food suppliers who offered coffee both in bean form and in ground form,  and a couple offered a form of freeze dried instant coffee.
 My first thought was I hate instant coffee (well I did find one that was good tasting, but it's a buck a cup and it's made by a bunch of lefties, you know the brand, so that ain't going to happen),  but in an emergency maybe we won't have the time to brew a pot, or power to get the coffee maker running, who knows, so maybe an instant coffee, if its decent might be doable,  but not at a buck a cup, that's for sure.
 So, going to my favorite supplier of emergency long term survival food (myPatriots survival food) I found that they offer coffee in bean form and in instant form with their normal 25 year shelf life, and they offer it in sample packs of 60 cup serving size for seven dollars and change,  so I ordered a sample pack along with some powdered eggs and received it a few days later (those guys don't fool around when it comes to shipping,  I've never waited longer than five days for an order to arrive, most deliveries arrive in three days).
 I opened the sealed bag it came in and dumped the contents into a Mason Jar (it filled a two cup jar) and added the moisture absorber packet that it came with into the jar with the coffee, and proceeded to make myself a cup (I wasn't expecting much, I don't like instant coffee),  but I was pleasantly surprised, it actually tasted as promised, not like my favorite fresh brewed coffee, but close enough not to be disappointed, I could drink this coffee every day and enjoy it.
 You can buy it one pack (sixty cup serving size) at a time for under eight bucks or buy a bulk container of 12 packs or 720 servings and save a few bucks,  I usually buy about $50.00 a month of different stuff from them to add to our emergency supplies,  so I'm going to include a single pack in all of my orders for the next year, my next months order will include a pack of coffee,  a pack of three sprouting trays, some sprout seeds, and some freeze dried fruits.
 Every once in a while I try a sample of the foods that we buy just to make sure the quality is up to our standards, this week I made an eight serving package of Alfredo sauce & noodles, and I added some finger sized grilled chicken breast pieces,  it was great,  we had leftovers and our oldest daughter stopped in for a quick visit on her way home from work, and as usual when one or more of the kids show up, they check out the fridge for Dad's leftovers, I told her to help herself to what ever she could find.
 So she had some of the Alfredo and chicken and commented on how good it was and asked for my recipe, I told her it was a sampling of the emergency food that we bought from myPatriot foods, she also is accumulating some of their long term foods as well, she was surprised and said she could eat that on a regular basis and be happy.     
 Good stuff, worth exploring.

In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
Re: Lets talk Coffee
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 10:11:35 AM »
Instant.  My grandpa used to mix Folgers crystals and hot tap water.  No thanks.
              We buy Trader Joes premixed instant for a quicky.  OK.

Ground.  8 0'Clock or any number of decent jacked up coffee.  Like Deathwish. Pretty
               good.

Beans.  8 O'Clock hands down.  But I buy a lot from vet owned businesses.  They

send some over to the troops with every purchase.  I like that.

This may seem too retro and primitive for some but we've taken to cowboy coffee lately.  Yeah it gets a little chewy now and then but done right it kicks ass.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 02:23:16 PM »
We've been using whole-bean French-roast coffee from Sam's club (Member's Mark) for the last several years.  We both like it real well. :coffee: :coffee:   Two cups gets me going in the morning. :drool:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Yellowyak

• Water Stone
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 02:32:28 PM »
I love a good cup of coffee and generally have a cup every morning before starting the days activities. During the work week, I'll also have a cup or two during work up until about lunch. I'm not a connoisseur, and generally have Folgers Decalf at home, and either a 7-11 or Dunkin Donut's Decalf when I'm away from home. I know, decalf haters say why bother. We'll, I like the taste, but my body doesn't like a regiment of caffeine over time, so I have to limit myself.

That being said, I've been doing some work at a company that has two built-in Miele Coffee / Espresso machines in their employee kitchen. These machines make probably the best cups of espresso I've ever had. I usually drink my coffee with milk or cream, but the espresso's I drink black. Not sure what beans they use, I'll have to find out.

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2021, 02:35:41 PM »
I completely forgot about Cuban coffee it's been so long.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2021, 04:29:21 PM »
I drink Folgers.  Decaf.  I think it is okay.  I also drink real coffee when we are at a restaurant or travel stop.

Glad to hear that Patriot has those packets of coffee on the cheap side.

We have a couple of coffee companies here in the Black Hills and one of them, Dark Canyon, makes several kinds.  Tried them all but none were any better to me than Folgers. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2021, 11:37:39 PM »
     I read somewhere that the kitchen drain is the largest consumer of coffee. I couldn't dispute that statement, because at the end of every workday, it seemed as though I was dumping at least a half pot of coffee down the drain. The waste was obvious and just rubbed me the wrong way. Especially since I owned the business and it was my money going down the drain.
     One day I'm waiting in Bed, Bath and Beyond while the wife is looking through a bridal registry for the grand daughter. I come across an Aeropress.  This plastic looking thing promises great coffee, convenience, easy clean up, the whole she-bang of features to sell you on their product. The thing that caught my eye was, I can make a single cup at a time. Hmmm. So, I bought it. I've thrown twenty bucks away on worse things I guess.
      I get it home and it's got a big syringe. Big enough to hold an 8 ounce cup of coffee. There's little filters for the bottom, a holder for the filters, a fancy funnel, a goofy little scoop and a paddle for stirring the hot water and coffee grounds before you put the plunger into the syringe barrel. Lotta extra crap. Haven't seen most of it in years.
     What I did keep was the 3 piece syringe and the filter holder. I use a tablespoon to measure the coffee and give it a swirl before I press the plunger. More often than not, I get to doing other things for a minute or two and the hot water slowly filters down through the coffee grounds all on its own.
      I've used a half dozen different coffee brands and grinds and they have all turned out good. I just add more or less coffee until I find what I like for each brand. What I really like is no more wasted coffee and I only have to heat enough water for one cup. Pretty nice over a Sterno can or a one burner propane stove.
     I finally settled on one coffee that suits me. Cafe' Bustelo Espresso grind. But it's like pickup trucks, everybody knows what they like.
     If you like camping in a group this probably isn't for you. But if your traveling light, only need one cup to get you going and don't care for the instant coffees, this Aeropress works pretty slick.
     I've had mine for going on ten years now. I never expected the plastic to hold up that long. But if it ever does break, I'll buy another one.
     I bought the last replacement filters online. They're only a couple inches across, so easy to pack 20 or so for a short trip.

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 04:04:22 AM »
Those that camp with me know that I like my coffee.  When I retired from the military I was probably drinking about 30 cups a day.  Now - a couple of cups in the morning and a few more throughout the day.  At home we use one of those Keurig machines and just make a cup at a time.  Our go to brand for those is the Original Donut Shop.  Have been playing around with coffee presses lately and really like them.  I probably have eight percolators in my camping supplies.  I haven't tried instant in over 30 years.  It just don't seem right.  Yep, I like coffee.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 12:59:09 PM by crashdive123 »

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 03:54:27 PM »
caffeine drives my BP up rapidly.  For years now, I mix Folgers regular with their decaf.  Half caf, so to speak.  One cup, sometimes two in the morning is enough for me.  Most of the time I use a French Press or that new Aeropress.  Cream and sugar, thank you.  One each.

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021, 04:07:51 PM »
Coffee sure is a big part of our camps.  And everybody likes theirs just so.

Offline Alan R McDaniel Jr

• Whetstone +
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2021, 08:52:46 PM »
I just use a Mr. Coffee auto drip with Community coffee of some kind.  Lately it's been the roasted hazelnut.  I drink a pot.  #1 wife will drink a small cup but the rest is mine.  I've got one of those big Yeti tumblers. I'll drink one reading the news and another goes with me to the shop in the mornings.  A little milk, no sugar.  I don't know what happens if I don't get my coffee fix in the mornings.  Don't want to find out either.

Alan

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2021, 03:50:51 AM »

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2021, 06:51:36 AM »
caffeine drives my BP up rapidly.  For years now, I mix Folgers regular with their decaf.  Half caf, so to speak.  One cup, sometimes two in the morning is enough for me.  Most of the time I use a French Press or that new Aeropress.  Cream and sugar, thank you.  One each.

I've been missing my morning coffee and the tea taste is getting old now that I've been on it for the last month or so, so I had some bits and pieces to pick up at the local Stop & shop,  while there I paroozed the coffee aisle,  so many brands, so many roasts, light medium, dark, decaf, high test, I won't even get into the flavored stuff.
 I felt like closing my eyes and throwing a dart, but I was fresh out of darts, so I went with Stan's advice and picked up a container of Folger's Breakfast Blend (I like my coffee strong but mellow, you can keep the acidy bite).
 Anyhow, I did see several brands are now offering a Half & Half blend of regular and decaf, Folgers was one of them I believe.   

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2021, 07:22:42 AM »
I drink Folgers.  Decaf.  I think it is okay.  I also drink real coffee when we are at a restaurant or travel stop.

Glad to hear that Patriot has those packets of coffee on the cheap side.

We have a couple of coffee companies here in the Black Hills and one of them, Dark Canyon, makes several kinds.  Tried them all but none were any better to me than Folgers.

Thanks Stan,  I did pick up an 11 0unce container of Folgers, I'm having a cup as I write this,  had it yesterday and again this morning,  it's not bad, I like my coffee strong but don't like the acid after taste that allot of coffees have, the Melita Breakfast blend that I have been drinking for years always satisfied, but the dark roast Columbian that they are selling now is just plain repulsive.
 Chock Full 'O' Nuts used to be a decent coffee also, but they changed over to the cheaper beans and now it's so bitter I can't drink it,  so until I find something else the Folgers will do just fine.
 I don't normally drink Instant Coffee,  when I'm out roaming the woods or spending the day bank fishing I usually take a few one cup coffee bags (like tea bags) with me for a quick cup, I tried several brands of instant, the only one that wasn't bad was the green labeled yuppy store brand (can't remember the name), but the one cup packets are like a buck and a quarter each, for that I'll go without.
 Anyway, my reason for trying the instant coffee from My Patriot Supply is that A- all of their survival foods have been really good (I try a sample from every lot that we buy) and B- I worry about the next shortage (no matter the cause) that comes down the pike and not having the ability to at least have a decent cup of joe, and C- & D- is the shelf life and price.
 So I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the bag and mixed a cup, it actually tasted like good coffee and not like your normal instant coffee, I know that it's a small thing in a way, but when it comes to keeping one's spirits up in an emergency situation sometimes it's the small things that can keep you going.   

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2021, 12:22:45 PM »
I bought a lot of coffee years ago when I was into full on prepping.  I still am but to a lesser degree.  At my peak I think I had 60 of the large blue plastic containers of Maxwell House, both their French roast and Columbian roast.  I still have some (maybe 10 cans) of it.  They are well past their expiration date, but as long as the seal has not been broken, they are still under vaccum and I cannot tell any difference between them and new ones.

The last camp the coffee I was making was from one of those cans.  Over 10 years old.  Tasted great (less filling too).

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2021, 12:23:50 PM »
I forgot......the Maxwell plant is just a couple of miles from my house.  Love the smell of roasting coffee beans as I cross the river.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2021, 01:14:17 PM »
Moe has convinced me to break into my stash of Patriot Coffee and give it a try. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2021, 02:12:39 PM »
Black Rifle Coffee Company is another veteran owned with veteran employees.  Good stuff.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2021, 03:26:39 PM »
I read some good things about them too.  In addition didn't you post something about them a couple of years ago?  (a memory test  :-\ )
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2021, 04:16:53 PM »
Yes.  I try to support veteran owned and with vet employees.

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2021, 07:25:05 PM »
I have had a lot of Black Rifle coffee.  It is indeed good.  So is Death Wish coffee.