Author Topic: Free Pizza Stones  (Read 4855 times)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Free Pizza Stones
« on: July 29, 2012, 06:52:28 AM »

When I make pizza I seldom use a pizza pan to bake them,  I like to bake them on a stone,  the only problem with baking pizza on a stone is getting it on and off the stone,  that's where those really really big wooden spatulas (that I can never remember the name of) come in handy.

Nowadays,  in nice weather,  I grill my pizza over charcoal on my barrel/smoker grill,  the problem for me when I decided to grill them was,  'on what',  I have two pizza stones that live in my kitchen oven all the time,  but I didn't want to chance breaking them by continually moving them from oven to grill.
  Next door from the construction business that I worked for part time is a business that makes custom counter tops out of Granite, Marble, and polished concrete,  and they have a devil of a time getting rid of scrap stone,  of all sizes and shapes  :),  so I stopped in and talked to the owner who cheerfully offered me all of his scraps.
  I thanked him and explained that just a couple of small pieces would do me fine,  after five minutes of looking through the stacked up scraps I picked out a matched pair of stones about 3/4" thick and about 12"x 16" in size,  after getting them home I cleaned them off and heated them gently in my oven to get any moisture out of them,  then gave them a rub with food quality mineral oil,  they now live on the grate of my grill,  when not baking pizza I cover them with a piece of foil and they serve as a place to keep other foods warm.

So,  If you're looking for a good pizza or bread stone or two,  and your on a budget,  visit your local counter top shop,  the chances are excellent that you'll find what you need, and get it for free.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
Re: Free Pizza Stones
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 07:27:49 AM »
Moe,

Forget the foil and just sprinkle some corn meal on the stone.  It acts like little ball bearings and keeps the pizza from sticking.
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 09:23:07 AM »
Moe,

Forget the foil and just sprinkle some corn meal on the stone.  It acts like little ball bearings and keeps the pizza from sticking.

LOL,  thanks Mike,  I keep foil on the stones to keep the oils from beef, chicken, or pork from sticking to my pizza stones when being used as warming trays.
  I used to use corn meal to keep pizza and bread from sticking,  now that i pre-bake my crusts and freeze them I don't have that problem any more,  I just take them out of the freezer when I want pizza and let them thaw for about fifteen minutes while my stones heat up in the oven or grill,  then I put the topping s on and bake them until they brown, and enjoy.

Offline Wilderbeast

• Vendor
  • Water Stone
  • Member #007
    • Military Spec Surplus
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 09:43:21 AM »
Moe,

LOL,  thanks Mike,  I keep foil on the stones to keep the oils from beef, chicken, or pork from sticking to my pizza stones when being used as warming trays.
  I used to use corn meal to keep pizza and bread from sticking,  now that i pre-bake my crusts and freeze them I don't have that problem any more,  I just take them out of the freezer when I want pizza and let them thaw for about fifteen minutes while my stones heat up in the oven or grill,  then I put the topping s on and bake them until they brown, and enjoy.

Cooking meat on a dedicated pizza stone?  Heresy  :)

Didn't mean to "bust your stones" with my comment.   :lol:
Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 10:12:44 AM »
Good idea on the stones.  I had one from Pampered Chef, loved that thing.  And then with out thinking one evening I put a frozen meal on it to bake.   Crrrrack.      :(

My friend worked at a cupboard making place many years ago.  She brought me a bunch of scrapped doors and panels.  Those panels were thin , 1/4",  and I cut a pizza paddle out of one of those.  A big circle with a 8 inch handle 2.5 inches wide.     Sanded down the sliding edge and it worked great. :) 

WW.

On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 06:14:55 PM »
Hey Moe, just to save your fevered brain from shortin' out in trying to remember the name of that overgrown canoe paddle/spatula thingy........it's called a PIZZA PEEL :cheers:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 06:50:42 PM »
Really great tip.  Thanks Moe.

KK
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 06:51:48 PM »
I finally picked up a peel myself.  I use it for everything from pizzas to bread, rolls, etc. 

Got me a P'Chef stone too.  Second one...first broke too.  They replaced it on warranty.

Great idea on getting some scraps from a mason!  I need to go try that!  Could potentially find some good sharpening rocks that way too.
Jontok Bushy Class Approved!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 07:20:00 PM »
I finally picked up a peel myself.  I use it for everything from pizzas to bread, rolls, etc. 

Got me a P'Chef stone too.  Second one...first broke too.  They replaced it on warranty.

Great idea on getting some scraps from a mason!  I need to go try that!  Could potentially find some good sharpening rocks that way too.

Actually,  you can,  but don't go to a mason,  go to a counter top shop,  the scrap is a pretty good source of cooking stones,  mostly it's the pieces that they cut out for sinks and openings in kitchen and bathroom counter tops made of granite and marble,  as for sharpening stones,  when they finish the stones they smooth both sides,  but they only polish the best side,  leaving the other unpolished,  these unpolished sides make good medium grit sharpening stones,  I keep a piece in my truck,  I sharpen on the rough side and kind of strop on the polished side.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 07:20:49 PM »
Alton Brown suggests and unglazed "quarry tile" for use as a pizza stone. Make sure it's natural rock and not some kind of concrete, "cultured marble" or anything with plastic binders, sealers, or chemicals added. You want nothing but a plain natural stone flooring tile.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 07:22:27 PM »
Hey Moe, just to save your fevered brain from shortin' out in trying to remember the name of that overgrown canoe paddle/spatula thingy........it's called a PIZZA PEEL :cheers:

That be it Wolfy,  CRS is acting up a bit,  but I haven't forgotten you,  honest.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 07:23:56 PM »
 :rofl: No worries, mate :)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 07:30:26 PM »
Alton Brown suggests and unglazed "quarry tile" for use as a pizza stone. Make sure it's natural rock and not some kind of concrete, "cultured marble" or anything with plastic binders, sealers, or chemicals added. You want nothing but a plain natural stone flooring tile.

Thanks PW,  that's a good tip,  I asked the owner of the shop where I got mine what the process was to polishing his stones,  he said all they used was city water under high pressure,  he also said that by law he couldn't use any chemicals or solvents on anything that may come into contact with food.
  Nothing but water touched the surface until they were installed,  then they were rubbed with a coat of food grade mineral spirits.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 07:51:25 PM »

Thanks PW,  that's a good tip,  I asked the owner of the shop where I got mine what the process was to polishing his stones,  he said all they used was city water under high pressure,  he also said that by law he couldn't use any chemicals or solvents on anything that may come into contact with food.
  Nothing but water touched the surface until they were installed,  then they were rubbed with a coat of food grade mineral spirits.

Ah, that's good to know!