Author Topic: Jerkey from ground meat  (Read 13103 times)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Jerkey from ground meat
« on: September 02, 2012, 07:53:18 AM »

Over the years i've seen jerky recipes using ground meat,  the latest one was in a copy of Backwoodman magazine,  so I decided to give it a try.

The recipe calls for a pound and a half of extra lean ground meat,  1/4 cups each of soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce,  one teaspoon each of Garlic, onion powder,  fresh ground black pepper,  and liquid smoke.

All the seasonings are mixed together to make a brine which is poured over the meat in a freezer bag and placed in the fridge overnight to let the brine soak into the meat.
  The next day the meat is given a hand mix and rolled out to a square of about 1/4 inch thick, then cut into strips about an 1" ~ 1-1/2" wide and as long as you want and dried either in the oven or in a dehydrator.

Note:  one recipe stated that the meat should be cooked to an internal temp of 180 degrees to kill off any ecolie that might be in the meat,  so for safety sake I put the strips on wire racks over baking sheets in a 180 degree oven for about 45 minutes to cook it through and to drain any fat in the meat,  then I left them to cool on paper towels before putting them in the dehydrator.

I used ground beef for the experiment,  I had my local butcher make it up special for me from extra lean bottom round beef.
  Very little fat was left in the bottom of the baking sheets after it cooked, just a few drops hear and there.
  I just now put the strips in the food dryer,  so we'll see how it turns out in a few hours.

I did taste a small piece after in came out of the cooking process,  for my taste if I do it again i'll cut down on the soy sauce and add a heaping teaspoon of course salt,  and maybe a bit of cayenne pepper.

Has anyone reading this ever tried making jerky from ground meat ?
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Re: Jerkey from ground meat
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 08:53:14 AM »
I've read about it, but never tried it. One reason is we mixed all our ground venison to about 10%-12% fat, and I never reserved any for ground jerky. The only purpose I ever saw in jerking ground beef was to used up some of the surplus burger you might have laying around. If the fat could be rendered out of 15% fat grind in the oven, I guess it would be worth it. In processing my own meat (venison), I never considered going through the extra step when I had good strips of muscle meat to begin with.

I've looked at the "jerky makers" in Cabella's catalog. They are sort of like a cookie spritzer press, or a caulking gun. Interesting....  I'm anxious to hear how yours comes out, texture wise. I've made quite a bit of "oven sausage" with ground beef, using a recipe similar to yours, with added herbs and spices. It's pretty okay.
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 02:51:33 PM »
I've read about it, but never tried it. One reason is we mixed all our ground venison to about 10%-12% fat, and I never reserved any for ground jerky. The only purpose I ever saw in jerking ground beef was to used up some of the surplus burger you might have laying around. If the fat could be rendered out of 15% fat grind in the oven, I guess it would be worth it. In processing my own meat (venison), I never considered going through the extra step when I had good strips of muscle meat to begin with.

I've looked at the "jerky makers" in Cabella's catalog. They are sort of like a cookie spritzer press, or a caulking gun. Interesting....  I'm anxious to hear how yours comes out, texture wise. I've made quite a bit of "oven sausage" with ground beef, using a recipe similar to yours, with added herbs and spices. It's pretty okay.

Well it's not quite there yet,  it still has a bit of moisture left in it,  the wife and I went to a movie (haven't been in a movie house in years) to see 2016 and I shut the food drier down while we were gone,  I just turned it back on,  but it tastes great,  and it's stiffening up fine.
  I think the biggest difference will be that since it's cut to size it's more uniform,  and for eome reason there seems to be less shrinkage,  oh,  and it's a lot easier to chew.  :)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 03:04:27 PM »
....  oh,  and it's a lot easier to chew.  :)
Ha! I saw a movie once where the mountain man was eating buffalo jerky. He grabbed it with his teeth, and cut off a piece big enough to chew with his knife. Besides wondering how he missed his nose, I was thinking, "I've had jerky like that before!"  Not usually something you want to eat if you wear dentures.  ;)
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 03:54:57 PM »
I've got a buddy that grinds one of his trimmed lean deer completely into burger, minus the loins......sometime s two deer.  His teenage kids eat it like wolves, so it may take three next year!  He relies on the big magnum meat gun from Cabela's after breaking a couple of the lighter-duty models they have.  He has also gone to the spice-paks they sell because it takes less time than mixing his own.

I still kind of like the mix I've developed on my own, but I marinate the muscle meat and then dry it to shoe-leather consistency in my cheap Mr. Coffee dehydrator that I got at Target YEARS ago, for around $15.  I bought a package of extra trays for it and as long as the fan holds out, it will be all I ever need :P
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 06:29:28 AM »
....  oh,  and it's a lot easier to chew.  :)
Ha! I saw a movie once where the mountain man was eating buffalo jerky. He grabbed it with his teeth, and cut off a piece big enough to chew with his knife. Besides wondering how he missed his nose, I was thinking, "I've had jerky like that before!"  Not usually something you want to eat if you wear dentures.  ;)

I lost one of my best friends last year,  he was one of those guys who held on to his meat with a two or three tined fork and his teeth and cut a hunk with his knife,  he also was in the habbit of eating just about everything but soup with his knife,  this was mostly in camp or at the 'vous.
  Funny thing is he had very refined table manners,  and he could use chop sticks like a chinaman,  and was very sharp when it came to wine and brandy selection,  but put him in buckskins and plant him near a fire and he reverted to primitive like he was born to it.

snifle,,,  Ok back to the jerky,  I gotta tell you, it ain't half bad,  it's got a good taste,  texture is good,  it holds together fine,  and as I said earlier, a lot easier to chew,  it's also quicker, less messy, and easier to make than traditional jerky.
  While I'm quite sure that it would not satisfy the hard core jerky junkies out there,  but if one is looking for trail food that's light, easy to make and carry,  and tastes good,  this would work.
  One of my grandsons came in while I was taking the jerky out of the drier and grabbed a piece and loved it,  before he left he managed to eat the top tray full of the stuff,  so it's got to be pretty good.

Now if I can keep it hid from the rest of the clan long enough to test it to see how well it travels and how well it reconstitutes itself into other foods (like Ramens),  I'll be doing good.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 08:54:13 AM »
Last year we had a lot of deer meat to deal with so we trimmed all the fat and ground it, mixed in a commercial jerky mix from Cabela's, let it sit in the refrigerator overnight.  The next morning I used a "jerky shooter" to place the strips of meat on wire racks.  We processed it on a dehydrator that had a heating element.  It takes about eight hours to dry each batch of the meat.  Each strip is about an inch and a half wide and we made them about eight inches long.  Moe's idea of putting it in a 180 degree oven for awhile seems good to me and this year, if we get a few deer, I will try that. 

I think I prefer jerked meat from slices about 1/4" thick over the ground up variety but its still pretty good.  A person would have to try a few recipes to find one they prefer over the others but, like rifles, I never met a piece of jerky I didn't like. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 09:17:50 AM »
...  A person would have to try a few recipes to find one they prefer over the others but, like rifles, I never met a piece of jerky I didn't like.
There was a butcher shop we used once that had just about every variety of jerky imaginable. The had one they called "Polynesian". It was sticky, and messy to eat, but oh, so good! It had pineapple in the marinade. I've never seen it since, and never found the recipe.

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 03:08:30 PM »
Moe the recipe I use is almost exact but I add a little hot sauce in there. It travels well and like you mention its a fast deal. I bought two extra racks for my dehyd so I can do two pounds at a time. I also use a jerky gun that makes the uniform strips it all came with the dehyd. I've actually got some going right now so I'll post a pic of the set up when its done. I just took out a batch of apple chips and their great on the trail for a sweet snack.

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 03:16:55 PM »
I used to dry a lot of foods while I was in college.  I never dried ground meat but it was on my list.  I never saw a recipe that said to cook it first though. 

I've been wanting to get a new dehydrator.  I haven't had one for years.  They seam to be a lot more expensive than they used to be though.
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 03:28:59 PM »
Now I buy 7% ground meat mix it up and into the dehyd. never precooked. I think thats moes method which sounds like it works for him. I tried 5% meat but it was hard and brittle like over cooked bacon and had to get that at Whole Foods$$$ so Publix 7% works better for me and I do not have much or any fat on the bottom tray.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 04:22:54 PM »
I used to dry a lot of foods while I was in college.  I never dried ground meat but it was on my list.  I never saw a recipe that said to cook it first though. 

I've been wanting to get a new dehydrator.  I haven't had one for years.  They seam to be a lot more expensive than they used to be though.
Generally speaking, for jerky to be safe unrefrigerated, the meat should reach an internal temperature if 165oF for at least 30 minutes during the first 2 hours of drying.  An oven handles this well, but a good dehydrator with a thermostat will go to 165o - 180o. Mine goes to 165o max, but it's 20 years old.

I consider a good dehydrator an essential appliance for our lifestyle, and paying ~$200.00 for a 20 year investment didn't seem unreasonable.

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 05:40:16 PM »
Matt if you eat a lot of jerky or dried fruit it would pay for itself pretty fast. I'm gonna start playing with drying veggies so I can make soups to rehydrate at camps.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 06:02:19 PM »
Matt if you eat a lot of jerky or dried fruit it would pay for itself pretty fast. I'm gonna start playing with drying veggies so I can make soups to rehydrate at camps.
Carrots, greenbeans, and peas are a good start when getting the hang of it.

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 06:04:10 PM »
Thanks OP what about onions?

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 06:33:12 PM »
Thanks OP what about onions?
I do green onions (scalliions) and red onions for soups, chilli, and other dishes. I do yellow and white onions, and grind them into 'flakes', or powder.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 10:03:05 PM »
When I started dehydrating onions I bought an extra set of trays for the dryer.    Onions tend to leave a strong smell in the trays they are on.  I wrote with a sharpie "onions"  on the sides of those trays so I keep using the same set for those stinky buggers. :)     And if I have nice weather , I will run the machine outdoors to keep the smell outside. 

:)

WW
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 10:51:12 PM »
When I started dehydrating onions I bought an extra set of trays for the dryer.    Onions tend to leave a strong smell in the trays they are on.  I wrote with a sharpie "onions"  on the sides of those trays so I keep using the same set for those stinky buggers. :)     And if I have nice weather , I will run the machine outdoors to keep the smell outside. 

WW
I'm sure the design and materials of different dehydrators made a difference. I've loaded mine with all the onions I mentioned above, for a number of years, and never had an odor problem. I've never had any problem with foods staining my trays, either, but I've heard people complain about tomatoes and beets.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 12:52:30 PM »

WW
I'm sure the design and materials of different dehydrators made a difference. I've loaded mine with all the onions I mentioned above, for a number of years, and never had an odor problem. I've never had any problem with foods staining my trays, either, but I've heard people complain about tomatoes and beets.

I was a little worried the first time I dried beets in mine,  up until then I never had a problem with staining,  but after drying the beets I had red stains where the beets rested on the trays and where some of the juces dripped on the bottom insert catch tray.
 But a warm water and dish soap bath cleaned them up fine.

I never had a problem with onion odor either. 

Offline MATT CHAOS

• Water Stone
  • M.E.S.H. Knives
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2012, 05:57:01 AM »
Matt if you eat a lot of jerky or dried fruit it would pay for itself pretty fast.

I consider a good dehydrator an essential appliance for our lifestyle, and paying ~$200.00 for a 20 year investment didn't seem unreasonable.

When you look at that way it really take the expense out of expensive.  Thanks guys.
 ;)
Jontok Bushy Approved    Member#28   
1st Aid/CPR/AED Wilderness 1st Aid Instructor

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2012, 01:38:05 PM »
  The one i have is made by American Harvest, the Snack Master,  about twenty years old and still running great,  but I'm thinking seriously of up grading,  mine is an inexpensive model and has one set temp setting,  I think it about 135 degrees,  it's got four trays and only one "roll up" tray insert.
  The same company has a better model in the American Harvest Garden Pro,  it comes with eight trays,  eight roll up inserts,  eight easy clean inserts,  1000 watts of power,  up graded fan,  and the temp setting is adjustable from from 0 ~ max power.
  Suggested retail is $180.00,  Amazon has it at $131.99,  it sounds pretty good for the money,  it also comes with the same instructional book as OP recommended.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 01:49:34 PM »
  The one i have is made by American Harvest, the Snack Master,  about twenty years old and still running great,  but I'm thinking seriously of up grading,  mine is an inexpensive model and has one set temp setting,  I think it about 135 degrees,  it's got four trays and only one "roll up" tray insert.
  The same company has a better model in the American Harvest Garden Pro,  it comes with eight trays,  eight roll up inserts,  eight easy clean inserts,  1000 watts of power,  up graded fan,  and the temp setting is adjustable from from 0 ~ max power.
  Suggested retail is $180.00,  Amazon has it at $131.99,  it sounds pretty good for the money,  it also comes with the same instructional book as OP recommended.
Sounds like my model's Great Grandson! That's exactly the one I've been looking at. Thanks for the price check!
I got mine at a trade fair. This one I have will supposedly handle 35 trays at once! Yikes!!! I believe the new Garden Pro claims something like 24 tops. In just about 30 years, I've only had to replace the thermal couple once.
My wife was commenting 2 days ago about getting another one. We could add trays for this one, but it would be more fun to have 2 of them going. Hahaha!
The advantage of having two is that one product we've been dehydrating needed to be at 130 degrees, and the other at 90 degrees. Had to wait until one batch was done before starting the other.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2012, 06:56:28 PM »
Sounds like my model's Great Grandson! That's exactly the one I've been looking at. Thanks for the price check!
I got mine at a trade fair. This one I have will supposedly handle 35 trays at once! Yikes!!! I believe the new Garden Pro claims something like 24 tops. In just about 30 years, I've only had to replace the thermal couple once.
My wife was commenting 2 days ago about getting another one. We could add trays for this one, but it would be more fun to have 2 of them going. Hahaha!
The advantage of having two is that one product we've been dehydrating needed to be at 130 degrees, and the other at 90 degrees. Had to wait until one batch was done before starting the other.

What got me started on a new one is your powdered ege recipe,  I've tried making them in the oven several ways and only succeed in ruining a couple of dozen eggs each time,  I have only one "roll up" insert that came with my Snackmaster,  so I started looking for more.
  They sell them in bags of two for anywhere from $8.00 ~ $14.00 sepending on the vendor,  and a few extra trays is another $30.00,  there's fifty bucks right there,  then I spotted the Garden Pro deal with eight trays, inserts, and adjustable temp settings,  and they claim that it will cut drying time in half on most foods because of the new fan design and uping the power to 1000 watts,  and they included OP's drying book just to put me over the edge.   :)
  Like you I can see the benefit of having two machines,  and you can use the four trays you already have,  giving you 12 trays when you need them.
  I showed it to my wife and she's going to order it on Friday.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2012, 07:51:48 PM »
Whoo hooo....  Moe is going to get a new toy!!  :) :)

A gal I know uses parchment paper for fruit roll-ups in her excalibur..   I suppose it would work for the Amercian Harvest if one has the patience to cut it out to fit. 

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2012, 08:55:32 PM »
  Like you I can see the benefit of having two machines,  and you can use the four trays you already have,  giving you 12 trays when you need them.
I just went on Amazon and put that Garden Master on my Wish List. I think you'll be more that happy with it!
The one thing about that Nesco design is that the air blows across the trays, not up through them. There is no transfer of flavors from one product to another. That's how the fruit trays work so well, because of the cross-draft technology.

Hint: Use one of the fruit roll up inserts in an empty tray on the bottom of your stack to catch drips from tomatoes, jerky, or any other juicy product. Save wear and tear on the base unit, and makes clean up a snap!

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2012, 09:52:23 PM »
Oh ya, OP.  Good tip to pass along.   :)   I had forgotten about that one or I'da posted it too. :)

Another tip:   If you have larger things you want to dry.. buy a few more trays and cut out sections so you have room between two trays to dry them.   

WW.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2012, 07:39:55 AM »
I just went on Amazon and put that Garden Master on my Wish List. I think you'll be more that happy with it!
The one thing about that Nesco design is that the air blows across the trays, not up through them. There is no transfer of flavors from one product to another. That's how the fruit trays work so well, because of the cross-draft technology.

Hint: Use one of the fruit roll up inserts in an empty tray on the bottom of your stack to catch drips from tomatoes, jerky, or any other juicy product. Save wear and tear on the base unit, and makes clean up a snap!

Thanks,  though i've used my dehydrator a lot over the years,  I don't ever remember reading the manual (as usual),  so the Roll up insert has always lived in the bottom tray,  I thought it was a drip catcher all along.   :)
  Not until I read your powered egg thread did I catch on to what it's real purpose was,  which is why I went looking to buy a few more.
  Powdered eggs are the one staple that has been hard to find and very expensive when you can find it,  I guess the Mad Cow illness had a lot to do with it (most powdered eggs are processed in GB from what I've read),  and it has become a popular resource to use for emergency food for disaster relief operations world wide,  so there's a lot more demand on the comsumer side than there is stock available.
  I love my eggs,  so the thought of having to go eggless for any length of time in an emergency setting give me the jitters,  I have to get busy putting some up.   ;D

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2012, 07:56:26 AM »
The largest egg desiccating operation in the WORLD is less than 50 miles from me here in NEBRASKA 8)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2012, 08:40:40 AM »
The largest egg desiccating operation in the WORLD is less than 50 miles from me here in NEBRASKA 8)

Can you buy from them ?

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2012, 08:54:19 AM »

Can you buy from them ?

No.....all their product goes to the military, Betty Crocker, etc. :-\

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2012, 11:49:10 AM »

Can you buy from them ?

I rest my case,  while there are quite a few companies that advertise powdered eggs,  few have any in stock,  the few that I've tried to order from all reply that they are temporarlly out of stock and will not take back orders.
  Most say the reason is that the military and emergency response agencies world wide are buying up just about all that is being processed.
  A few companies do have some for sale and in stock,  Mountain House for one,  but a gallon sized vacum sealed can that is only half full costs about $70.00 dollars.

About the only option that make sense is to make your own.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2012, 02:01:24 PM »

Can you buy from them ?

I rest my case,  while there are quite a few companies that advertise powdered eggs,  few have any in stock,  the few that I've tried to order from all reply that they are temporarlly out of stock and will not take back orders.
  Most say the reason is that the military and emergency response agencies world wide are buying up just about all that is being processed.
  A few companies do have some for sale and in stock,  Mountain House for one,  but a gallon sized vacum sealed can that is only half full costs about $70.00 dollars.

Try these folks. We've bought their stuff before. You just need to know what you're shopping for:

Dried Whole Eggs

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2012, 02:25:51 PM »
Not a bad price for the eggs.....figures out to be around $.25.5/hen fruit.   They claim a 30 year shelf life, too.  Thanks for the link, O.P. :)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2012, 04:04:27 PM »
Not a bad price for the eggs.....figures out to be around $.25.5/hen fruit.   They claim a 30 year shelf life, too.  Thanks for the link, O.P. :)
That's a good link for long term stuff. Some can be a bit pricey, but it's quality stuff...not some crap a guy threw together in his garage and jumped on eBay.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2012, 08:25:48 PM »

Can you buy from them ?

Try these folks. We've bought their stuff before. You just need to know what you're shopping for:

Dried Whole Eggs

Thanks OP,  that's a great link,  I'm going to order a sampling of their stuff to try it for flavor and quality,  I didn't find it pricy for what it is compared to other offerings i've seen.
  My wife's been talking about adding some long term storage foods to our emergency stores pantry.
  I especially like their 18 can deal,  While $385.00 sounds like a lot of money for eighteen cans of food,  but when you look at the variety,  number of servings per can,  and the shelf life,  it looks a little more practical.

Great resource,  thanks again.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2012, 09:58:24 PM »
  My wife's been talking about adding some long term storage foods to our emergency stores pantry.
  I especially like their 18 can deal,  While $385.00 sounds like a lot of money for eighteen cans of food,  but when you look at the variety,  number of servings per can,  and the shelf life,  it looks a little more practical.

Great resource,  thanks again.
Glad you guys found it useful. I found out about it when ordering case lots through our little local market.
It's nice having stuff on the pantry shelf that says, "Best if used by 2042". Hahaha!!!

Offline SwampHanger

• Water Stone
  • River Rat Member
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2014, 12:30:53 PM »
Just a bump for new recipes that you've tried. Making a couple pounds today for the tree stand in a few weeks if I can hide some from my son.