Author Topic: Coffee  (Read 45933 times)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Re: Coffee
« Reply #100 on: April 01, 2013, 12:06:35 PM »
I was at Amazon yesterday shopping for a French Press that would make a large coffee mug amount at a time.   Anyone have one to suggest?   This would be for making coffee 'out there at camp'.. :)

OP.. I had to delete out what I was going to say about the prices of licenses and permits going up too.

WW.

You might try Dick's Sporting goods,  I was in there last spring and they had counter set up of Nalgene and other containers and they had several French Presses in different sizes made of Thermoplastic material specifically for backpacking and camp use,  they weren't very expensive (somewhere from $8.00 ~ $16.00 depending on the size).
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #101 on: April 01, 2013, 04:10:30 PM »
Fine bunch of bushcrafters we are.  I am reading about french presses, carafes, boutique coffee.  What next?  A coffee cart so you can from tent to tent?   

All you need is a pot to boil water in and some coffee like our grandfathers did it.   ;D
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
Coffee
« Reply #102 on: April 01, 2013, 04:21:50 PM »
Fine bunch of bushcrafters we are.  I am reading about french presses, carafes, boutique coffee.  What next?  A coffee cart so you can from tent to tent?   

All you need is a pot to boil water in and some coffee like our grandfathers did it.   ;D

LOL...
Your right Stan, I think we have a few 'fancy bushcrafters' among us :P
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #103 on: April 01, 2013, 04:45:31 PM »
As I mentioned way back on pg 1, I have a 1 qt beat-to-hell percolator that goes camping with me.
I still can't get next to the idea of straining grounds through my teeth..... :P   No instant coffee for this chil'. I have to have the real thing.

Besides, the title of the thread is "coffee", which lead me to believe it wasn't limited to brewing in the bush.  ;D
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #104 on: April 01, 2013, 05:16:45 PM »
LOL Stan, you do have a point.  I dont need a french press...  I can learn to chew my coffee just like any other hardcore bushcrafter. :)   'sides... I'll save money and scritch this 'want' off my list..  :) :)

But.. I'll not ...NOT... give up on my charmin extra soft... that comes with me.   :P   I aint plannin on getting THAT hardcore...

WW.   O:-)
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #105 on: April 01, 2013, 05:57:40 PM »
As I mentioned way back on pg 1, I have a 1 qt beat-to-hell percolator that goes camping with me.
I still can't get next to the idea of straining grounds through my teeth..... :P   No instant coffee for this chil'. I have to have the real thing.

Besides, the title of the thread is "coffee", which lead me to believe it wasn't limited to brewing in the bush.  ;D

Might as well admit it OP,  some of us are just a bit more civilized than others,  they are going to find out sooner of later,  wait 'til they get a look at my Boars hair tooth brush.    :thumbsup:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #106 on: April 01, 2013, 06:03:09 PM »

My comment was sarcasm. :P  I drank a latte last week for criminy sake.

Moe brushes his teeth?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #107 on: April 01, 2013, 06:12:16 PM »

My comment was sarcasm. :P  I drank a latte last week for criminy sake.

Moe brushes his teeth?

:rofl: :lol: :thumbsup:

I really do,  every night before I put them in the cup.   :shrug:

Offline buzzacott

• Whetstone +
« Reply #108 on: April 01, 2013, 09:05:27 PM »

I know! We've all gone soft. I must admit that this thread inspired me to buy a GSI lightweight java drip thingy yesterday so I've been infected with the coffee nerd sickness too  :'(

I intend to redeem myself by making up a coffee drip filter just like the GSI one but out of fencing wire and some fine calico. Us bushmen have to take steps to maintain our already high levels of self-esteem, even when it comes to the humble cup of coffee. Unlike the backpackers or kayakers or mountain bike riders, we are the cocky fighter pilots of the outdoors community, but without the Top Gun-esque homoerotic overtones.
Don't kill unless for the pot. Don't fell a green tree for a pole if there are dry poles nearby. Study the bush, learn to read its secrets; watch the mason fly building and go to the ant for another lesson... then you'll realise the bush is your friend.
Richard Graves - 1944

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #109 on: April 01, 2013, 10:08:53 PM »

I know! We've all gone soft. I must admit that this thread inspired me to buy a GSI lightweight java drip thingy yesterday so I've been infected with the coffee nerd sickness too  :'(

I intend to redeem myself by making up a coffee drip filter just like the GSI one but out of fencing wire and some fine calico. Us bushmen have to take steps to maintain our already high levels of self-esteem, even when it comes to the humble cup of coffee. Unlike  the backpackers or kayakers or mountain bike riders, we are the cocky fighter pilots of the outdoors community, but without the Top Gun-esque homoerotic overtones.

I don't think you can use cocky and without homoerotic overtones in the same sentence.  And that is all I got to say about that.     :-X
(Mark Twain)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #110 on: April 01, 2013, 11:32:33 PM »
LOL.. you guys crack me up. 

And Buzz..when you make that drip thingy I would like to see a pix tuturial .. purty please?  :)  We just wont let Stan see it..... heh.

I just had one of those brain blasts...  wouldnt those jelly bags work for a filter?  You know..the ones you can find in the canning dept. for making/straining jelly. 

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #111 on: April 02, 2013, 12:34:45 AM »

I just had one of those brain blasts...  wouldnt those jelly bags work for a filter?  You know..the ones you can find in the canning dept. for making/straining jelly. 

WW.
A paint straining bag is cheaper, and works better. That's what I use for straining the lees in wine making.
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline TACSAR

• Whetstone +
  • Staying sharp
    • Thornton Images
« Reply #112 on: April 06, 2013, 09:10:34 AM »
Well, the coffee I just made this morning would harden up any man.  LOL.  Got a nice simple electric perk that works very much like the camp fire ones do.  Man, it makes good brew

Offline buzzacott

• Whetstone +
« Reply #113 on: April 10, 2013, 07:20:58 AM »
And Buzz..when you make that drip thingy I would like to see a pix tuturial .. purty please?  :)  We just wont let Stan see it..... heh.

My hand sewing is dodgy, but here's the gist... Excuse the dirty work bench top - the maid isn't allowed into the shed  ;D

Draw the outline of the filter on a folded piece of calico using a normal graphite pencil, then draw another outline about a 1/4 of an inch outside that line - this is our breathing space for sewing the seam.

Hack out the shape. I used scissors.

Why did I fold the calico? Because I'm naturally lazy.

Neatly and efficiently stitch the side and bottom of the filter together. As you can see, my cack-handedness knows few bounds...

Now comes the fun part where we step back from sewing and fabrics and all that stuff, and get to the wire portion of show.

Make a ring out of tie wire (tie wire is best for this part rather than fencing wire) - note that it is approximately the same size as my newly-delivered GSI Java drip-thingy.

Using some 2.5mm medium tensile fencing wire, make your legs and hook them onto the ring before crimping down the loops.

See how they fold in just like the GSI drip-thingy? Make your legs as long as the radius of the ring.

Sew the top of the filter into the ring - or, you can just tack it together at a few points so you can use differing varieties of cup. For example, mine is tacked because I will use it with a big enamel mug as well as a canteen cup.

Using a bit of tie wire on the end of each leg, we can make sure the legs stays on the cup rim securely. I liken it to one of those old-style 3-legged clothes pegs.

This is how the GSI drip-thingy sits on a canteen cup, with its irregular kidney-shape

This is how the wire and calico homemade version sits on the same cup -

Here's the homemade item and the GSI java drip-thingy side by side. The homemade one weighs about three times as much but in functionality and size/bulk they are identical.

Total build time was about 15 minutes. It took me longer to put together this post.

Don't kill unless for the pot. Don't fell a green tree for a pole if there are dry poles nearby. Study the bush, learn to read its secrets; watch the mason fly building and go to the ant for another lesson... then you'll realise the bush is your friend.
Richard Graves - 1944

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
  • Just call me, JB, it is easier to type. ;)
« Reply #114 on: April 10, 2013, 07:58:48 AM »
 That is a pretty cool setup there, buzzacot! Not my style, but it is pretty cool. I like seeing when folks improvise & make things, rather than purchase them.Good one!
 :thumbsup:

When I am afield & make coffee to drink it is usually just the "old style" or "Cowboy" way. I usually just settle the grounds, using a small amount of cold water . But, I did have a question for the ones who want a "filter" to keep the grounds out of your cup of "joe".

Why don't you just take a " dedicated" clean bandanna, handkerchief, or piece of cloth like that, & just put it over your cup/kuksa/whatever, depress the center a bit & pour your coffee thru it?

By doing that, the cloth will keep the grounds out of the drinking container, and you can either rinse it clean, or shake it out & then dry it... so the grounds will come off either thru rinsing or when the cloth is dry & shaken. It is multi use, as you could also use it as a way to grab hot utensils, put on your head, blow your nose, wipe your posterior, tournaquet, and so on... It also doesn't take up much room & is lightweight. I could go on with uses & so forth, but having one in your cookset, shouldn't be aproblem, & keeping it clean, of course, would not be all that hard, since you should clean your cookset once in a while.LOL ;)

Anyway, not criticising anyone, just sayin my "take" on coffee( tea, or whatever) filtering & making do with one multipurpose lightweight, item of gear to do it.
 ;)

Of course, if you are camping with a means of carrying a lot of things, like a vehicle or horses, etc, the above would work fine, but you can still bring along some more "refined" & bulkier gear, right?
 :)

BTW,I am drinking a cup of Joe right now as I type it & it was filtered in some cheapo coffee maker we have here at home.
 {I've had a MrCoffee...so-so... used to use a Bunn( excellent, lasted for years & then got so expensive it was ridiculous. MrCheapo worked fine for the last 7 years}

All of that last bit doesn't really matter, but I wanted to share here... And... of course, as most of ya already know... I am one strange guy...LOL
 :D
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline buzzacott

• Whetstone +
« Reply #115 on: April 10, 2013, 08:27:03 AM »
It's all good MnS, I get ya. I prefer cowboy coffee, not only because I often get to strain the coffee grounds with my teeth, but because of the whole ritual that goes with making your morning cuppa that way. I won't be taking the improvised java-drip-thingy out bush since I've got the featherweight plastic and nylon GSI one which works almost as well as a fencing wire and calico one  8)

Next up I'll show how to improvise a George Clooney Nespresso coffee pod machine out of some fencing wire, a bit of galvanised pipe, a pump out of a fish tank water filter, an element out of a bar heater and a set of solar panels salvaged from three dozen garden lights.
Richard Graves - 1944

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
Coffee
« Reply #116 on: April 10, 2013, 08:30:36 AM »
Next up I'll show how to improvise a George Clooney Nespresso coffee pod machine out of some fencing wire, a bit of galvanised pipe, a pump out of a fish tank water filter, an element out of a bar heater and a set of solar panels salvaged from three dozen garden lights.
:lol: Hahahahaha!

(Wait... that IS a joke, right?) ???

Tapatalked from my batphone.
What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #117 on: April 10, 2013, 08:35:36 AM »
LOL That last bit is funny, buzzacot!

Since they don't have a emoticon of coffee mugs... Here's to ya , buzzacot
 :cheers:

Doesn't matter to me, how folks make their coffee, what brand, etc.. I had just read thru the whole topic & thought it kinda funny that in 3 pages of many posts, no one had mentioned filtering through an item of gear that had more purposes than just filtering coffee. An item that many folks carried all the time anyway. Seen many a cookset with stuff wrapped in a cloth inside the cookset. Not a dig to anyone, just an observation & a comment about it,that's all.
I love being out in the woods!   I like this quote from Mors Kochanski - "The more you know, the less you carry". I believe in the same creed, & think  "Knowledge & honed skills" are the best things to carry with ya when you're out in the wilds. They're the ultimate "ultralight" gear! ;)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #118 on: April 10, 2013, 09:35:42 AM »
Yay Buzz!  I like that idea alot!    How does it work?  Have ya had a cuppa or two since making it?

I JUST had a brain flash...   I need to go look closer at my underwire bra's.... mmmmmm.....  a lil bit more wire and a few whip stitches..... AND I can have a matching set... whoohoooo...   :rofl:   

WW.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #119 on: April 10, 2013, 09:54:11 AM »
As long as she has the necessary "equipment", I nominate WoodsWoman to make the two 5 gallon urns of coffee for the first Midwest get-together! 8)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #120 on: April 10, 2013, 09:56:33 AM »
FIVE GALLONS???  Good Heavens..      I'd be straining coffee grounds for three days.   :P   

WW.

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #121 on: April 10, 2013, 09:59:14 AM »
I'm just for using simple things. Much easier....

Edited: yup. Took out the strange stuff that no one usually understands, but me, was removed... Ya missed it if ya weren't reading it earlier... LOL  Ya snooze... ya lose...
 ;)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 07:03:59 PM by MnSportsman »

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #122 on: April 10, 2013, 09:59:44 AM »
FIVE GALLONS???  Good Heavens..      I'd be straining coffee grounds for three days.   :P   

WW.

That would depend on how "well endowed'' you are, wouldn't it? :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #123 on: April 10, 2013, 10:19:17 AM »
Ok..maybe I shoulda typed a week.. not three days.....   :-[   

WW < hopes moe wont threaten me with his walkin stick....   :-\

Offline acara

• Water Stone
  • Captain of the Blue Pig
« Reply #124 on: April 10, 2013, 12:46:03 PM »
I can't be the only person using disposable cone paint filters for this? I can't remember who turned me on to this though.

At $.10/ea, no preceptable weight, packs flat & reuseable (on the same trip) ... I can't justify straining my one remaining brain cell, for another solution.

However, I do camp with a guy who cut a triangle out of aluminum window screen & rolls it into a cone to filter his grounds. Cheap, packs flat, self-supportinng, zero weight, last forever .... no down side that I can think of.
Meet me under the pee-pee-tree

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #125 on: April 10, 2013, 06:02:51 PM »

Coffee, with Baileys'Irish Cream... Good, Anytime!

MMMmmmmm.
 ;)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 07:06:21 PM by MnSportsman »

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #126 on: April 10, 2013, 07:48:23 PM »
You done hit the nail on the head, MnS!
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline TACSAR

• Whetstone +
  • Staying sharp
    • Thornton Images
Coffee
« Reply #127 on: April 11, 2013, 05:15:37 AM »

Coffee, with Baileys'Irish Cream... Good, Anytime!

MMMmmmmm.
 ;)

Oh hells yes! 

Sent from my iPhone whilst punch dancing in the woods.

Offline buzzacott

• Whetstone +
« Reply #128 on: April 11, 2013, 05:47:42 AM »
Yay Buzz!  I like that idea alot!    How does it work?  Have ya had a cuppa or two since making it?

I JUST had a brain flash...   I need to go look closer at my underwire bra's.... mmmmmm.....  a lil bit more wire and a few whip stitches..... AND I can have a matching set... whoohoooo...   :rofl:   

WW.

LOL good thinking. Combination brassiere and coffee filter - does two brews at the same time. The idea might just catch on  8)
Richard Graves - 1944

Offline MnSportsman

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #129 on: April 11, 2013, 06:03:59 AM »

WW.

LOL good thinking. Combination brassiere and coffee filter - does two brews at the same time. The idea might just catch on  8)

LOL, I am sure there are lots of fellas that would like to watch the conversion from the wearing, to the coffee making & filtering by the gals, if that dual use came to happen...
;)