Author Topic: Coffee  (Read 45926 times)

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
  • Canadian Woods Loafer & Certified Nobody
Re: Coffee
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2012, 12:19:02 PM »
I'll bet there are studies somewhere...

Not sure how cream and sugar affect it either way. I've had coffee black a few times but I never got into it. I like coffee flavored ice cream. And I like my coffee to taste like warm coffee flavored ice cream. :D
Hahaha!  Yea, me to my oldest (before he went "black and bitter" on me): "Would you like some coffee with your syrup?"

Up here we order coffee this way: Regular = one sugar, one cream. We have what we call "double-double" and that means two sugar, two cream. And then, surprisingly, :rolleyes: triple-triple = three sugar, three cream.  Well, he used to get what we call a "four by four" (NOT the truck one, the coffee one :P ): Four sugar, four cream.  Yuck!  Like coffee flavoured syrup!

So, PW, are you saying you're a four-by-four guy yourself?

;)

What if you woke up today, with only the things you thanked God for yesterday?

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2012, 12:28:58 PM »
Probably. I use a lot of sugar and half and half in mine.

I used to like "cafe au lait" which was about 60/40 coffee/cream. In New Orleans there are places like Morning Call, and Cafe Du Monde that serve cafe au lait and it's a popular way to drink coffee there. Then you add sugar and get a hot order of beignets, and you're good to go!

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
Coffee
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2012, 12:30:27 PM »
I just have and use an old SS stove top percolator that my wife bought me for my b day years ago for camping.
I have carried backpacking with me on shorter trips, but on longer trips I just make good ol cowboy coffee ;)

No sugar or cream for me... Strong and black :D
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline TACSAR

• Whetstone +
  • Staying sharp
    • Thornton Images
Coffee
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2012, 12:38:57 PM »
Ahhh yes black is the new double double. LOL.

I enjoy mine very black and very strong. I also love a good 'ol Americano if I'm out. They brew an espresso and then add boiling water to it. Very tasty.

Sent from my iPhone whilst punch dancing in the woods.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2012, 12:45:57 PM »
Probably. I use a lot of sugar and half and half in mine.

I used to like "cafe au lait" which was about 60/40 coffee/cream. In New Orleans there are places like Morning Call, and Cafe Du Monde that serve cafe au lait and it's a popular way to drink coffee there. Then you add sugar and get a hot order of beignets, and you're good to go!
I think you'd like Canada... :D

Consider a trip to Quebec; you'd fit right in!

KK

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2012, 12:50:41 PM »
One of these days I will have to get a passport...

I could have visited Canada when I was working in North Dakota. I heard horror stories of border patrol practically disassembling a guys car though...

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2012, 12:52:22 PM »
Personally, I enjoy a creamy coffee - of pretty much any kind - but without sugar.  Sugar kills it for me.

I can drink black coffee too, but not Tim Horton's...

I enjoy coffee house dark roast (I like a black dark french roast), and if the coffee's good, then black is sometimes the ticket.

Up here, most everybody drinks Tims, but I actually find MacDonald's has a better cup of coffee, even if I refuse to actually eat anything there...

KK

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2012, 12:56:06 PM »
One of these days I will have to get a passport...

I could have visited Canada when I was working in North Dakota. I heard horror stories of border patrol practically disassembling a guys car though...
Really?  Our guys are usually pretty good, unless given a cause.  In fact, WE think YOUR guys are little too gung-ho... depends on which way your car faces when you're leaving home, I guess!  :D

Seriously though, get a passport.  You'll need it to come visit all your new Canadian friends for the big meet up we will plan up here... ;)

I want my knife hand-delivered.

You were hours away from us in ND.  Shoulda come! ;)

KK

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2012, 01:55:39 PM »
I found a dark roast coffee this last time of shopping.  I do like using this coffee for my 'creamy coffee' .   I like the taste of this stronger coffee behind the creamy part.  Makes my tastebuds all happy and giddy. :)   But the dutch part of me NEEDS sugar (splenda) in it.    :)   oh and a cookie...       ;D

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2012, 02:39:49 PM »
KK, the story is too long to type out here but it involved a rubber glove and a socket set. The driver had to reinstall his own seats, but they did provide him wih the tools. He was a co worker of mine just travelling up there for the day. Still can figure out what it was about him or his vehicle that triggered the thorough search.

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2012, 04:41:21 PM »
KK, the story is too long to type out here but it involved a rubber glove and a socket set. The driver had to reinstall his own seats, but they did provide him wih the tools. He was a co worker of mine just travelling up there for the day. Still can figure out what it was about him or his vehicle that triggered the thorough search.
Yikes! The old 'face the wall and cough' trick, eh? :P

I travel with a guy who shares the same name as a real bad guy. Your guys are all over it! When we traveled together (for work) I always went to another line.  Lots of guys on here can tell us what triggers the red flags. Sometimes it's simple like clenched fist or a small shift in body posture... I dunno.... ???

It's just too bad because I'd like to go back and forth to the states a lot easier. I promise not to run rampant while I'm there... :D

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2012, 06:51:43 PM »
Lol, well he told me the border agent had him go sit in a room for a while and then came in wearing some rubber gloves. He then said to him, "Alright, you know what's next." Of course the guy thought he was going to get a seriously thorough inspection, but as it turns out the gloves were to keep from getting grease and dirt on the agent's hands while unbolting seats and interior panels of the car. I guess they thought he was smuggling something. But they guy was in the "white collar" side of the oil and gas business. Not your typical red flag for smuggling kind of guy.

I dunno. I won't let it deter me from visiting Canada one day though.  I'll just fly in and rent a car or something. :D

Offline JTD

• Water Stone
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2012, 07:16:50 PM »
For me camp coffee equals.. pot/boiling water off a fire/single serve coffee bag acquired from a hotel..  (Even better when topped off with a bag of Cocoa powered, also acquired from said hotel).

I have a nifty SS tea ball I've been wanting to take out and try brewing with, but I "acquired" so many Hotel coffee packets don't know if I'll ever get too...  >:D

Offline kanukkarhu

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2012, 07:40:46 PM »
Lol, well he told me the border agent had him go sit in a room for a while and then came in wearing some rubber gloves. He then said to him, "Alright, you know what's next." Of course the guy thought he was going to get a seriously thorough inspection, but as it turns out the gloves were to keep from getting grease and dirt on the agent's hands while unbolting seats and interior panels of the car. I guess they thought he was smuggling something. But they guy was in the "white collar" side of the oil and gas business. Not your typical red flag for smuggling kind of guy.

I dunno. I won't let it deter me from visiting Canada one day though.  I'll just fly in and rent a car or something. :D
Trust me, it will be worth it!

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2012, 08:57:14 PM »
JtD.. I've done that too.. dumped in a package of SwissMiss.    And if you really want a neat treat.. dump in two caramels and stir to disolve. :) 

I've had a waitress that her favorite thing to do was grab a cherry or strawberry lolipop and stir her creamy coffee with that.    She'd always make this Mmmmmm.. noise when she got to the warm tootsie roll center.   :)

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline RedBeard

• Whetstone +
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2012, 09:20:20 PM »
Just got home from walmart and they have those Maxwell house bags you were talking about. Only difference i could see is they don't have a hole in the middle like you described. Size and everything else matched.

Edit: I think these were what you were talking about.
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/maxwell-house-coffee-special-delivery-filter-pack-42-count/prod2590117.ip?refcd=GL05251200010018&pid=_CSE_Google_PLA_Grocery&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=sku3014118S
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 09:28:30 PM by RedBeard »
Keep your head down... Semper Fi

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2012, 10:31:48 PM »
Just got home from walmart and they have those Maxwell house bags you were talking about. Only difference i could see is they don't have a hole in the middle like you described. Size and everything else matched.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/maxwell-house-coffee-special-delivery-filter-pack-42-count/prod2590117.ip?refcd=GL05251200010018&pid=_CSE_Google_PLA_Grocery&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=sku3014118S
That's the "modern" version, RB. Those Maxwell House are made for drip coffee makers, and the old doughnut shaped packets were made for percolators, with the hole in the middle so they would fit in the basket around the stem.
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2012, 07:26:36 AM »

That's the "modern" version, RB. Those Maxwell House are made for drip coffee makers, and the old doughnut shaped packets were made for percolators, with the hole in the middle so they would fit in the basket around the stem.

I used them all the time while camping and at the 'vous,  I never used them with a perc basket,  just get the water simmering in a pot of any kind and throw the bag in, let it slow simmer for a minute or two and take it off the heat,  let it steap for five minutes and pour.
  Good stuff, i'm glad they're back, hole or not.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline TACSAR

• Whetstone +
  • Staying sharp
    • Thornton Images
Coffee
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2012, 07:43:01 AM »
That sounds like a good idea. For solo trips I do the mesh perc thing. I think it's an MSR. For larger trips I take my 20cup alum stovetop perc. It does a great job, but I'd like a smaller SS one as I'm trying to avoid cooking anything in aluminum.

The bags sound like a good idea though.

Sent from my iPhone whilst punch dancing in the woods.

Offline DJ3K

• Mill File
Coffee
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2012, 10:57:03 AM »
I like instant coffee lol. Why hate on it?

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2012, 11:52:09 AM »
I'm going to go make a cup of instant in a few minutes here... :D

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2012, 01:40:03 PM »

I wish they still made Postum original.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2012, 01:48:02 PM »
I had a really excellent cup of coffee at an Applebee's recently. Too bad I don't know the brand of coffee, and too bad it cost $1.75!
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2012, 02:44:11 PM »
I had a really excellent cup of coffee at an Applebee's recently. Too bad I don't know the brand of coffee, and too bad it cost $1.75!

There's an Applebee's in Montana ?     :)

Did you ask for a Senior's discount ?

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2012, 03:24:03 PM »

There's an Applebee's in Montana ?     :)

Did you ask for a Senior's discount ?
When my son was working there, my senior discount was more than his employee's discount.  :P

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
  • Badger State Bushcrafter
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2013, 12:07:10 PM »
My vessel of choice for brewing coffee has evolved over the years as did my method for steeping/boiling the grounds and hydration of the crystals...  In the last few years I've been turned on to this Swedish style kettle made by GSI it holds a quart of water.  I just throw some grounds in the water and boil em till they sink to the bottom.  You may get a few grounds in your coffee cup but that's never been an issue for me.     

Ahhh yes!  "No coffee can be good in the mouth that does not first send a sweet offering of odor to the nostrils."  ~Henry Ward Beecher

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2013, 12:12:39 PM »
It's been a couple of months since I got the French Press for the wife. MAN! Now I know what everyone was raving about. Boiled coffee can never compare to it. Even makes house brand coffee drinkable.

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2013, 12:22:22 PM »
It's been a couple of months since I got the French Press for the wife. MAN! Now I know what everyone was raving about. Boiled coffee can never compare to it. Even makes house brand coffee drinkable.

I agree!

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2013, 03:29:34 PM »

You're becoming quite cosmopolitan in your dotage, Ol' P.! :coffee:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2013, 03:43:15 PM »

More of them $2.00 words out of Wolfy.
I have looked at the french press at the local coffee shop.  Maybe I better buy one for my one cup a day allowance.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2013, 05:35:50 PM »

I was going to suggest that he was another converted yuppy,   but why  :stir:   :shrug: .

Actually I had a French Press,  it made excellent coffee but had a few flaws that I couldn't get past,  it didn't make enough coffee (minimum pot at our house in the morning is four full sized mugs),  it was a PITA to clean up (I like just having to dump the paper strainers in the garden and call it done),  and lastly,  I could never find the electric cord for keeping the pot warm for a hour or so.   :shrug:

Offline Nature Boy

• Whetstone +
  • NE Georgia
« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2013, 06:21:22 PM »
Found one of these in a local grocery store. Best $3 buck I've spent. Fits in my kit and filters are cheap at a dollar store!

https://shoponline.melitta.com/product/64007/COFFMKRSPROVER#.UVeA23g5LXQ
Proudly Jontok Bushy Approved!
God bless America.....again!! Old Foldin' Saw Fogey!

Offline WI_Woodsman

• Water Stone
« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2013, 09:07:15 PM »
Found one of these in a local grocery store. Best $3 buck I've spent. Fits in my kit and filters are cheap at a dollar store!

https://shoponline.melitta.com/product/64007/COFFMKRSPROVER#.UVeA23g5LXQ

It's smaller than French Press...

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2013, 11:50:18 PM »
  Actually I had a French Press,  it made excellent coffee but had a few flaws that I couldn't get past,  it didn't make enough coffee (minimum pot at our house in the morning is four full sized mugs),  ...

That's my only complaint about it. I build a "12 cup pot" of coffee that fills my coffee mug only 3 1/2 times. And that's just me drinking it. The pot may sit there staying warm for 4-5 hours, the coffee getting staler by the hour.
With the French press, I can be heating water while drinking one cup, fill the press to steep, and have a fresh cup ready when I am. I keep the press warm on a metal diffuser plate on the stove top. I also find I drink less coffee using the press, 'cause it's a matter of quality vs. quantity.
Laugh if you will, but I was also looking at a newfangled mouse trap at the store today. I'm always willing to try something new, if it's better than what I've been doing.  :P ;D

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2013, 02:18:10 AM »
Ya know.. if there was a Bushcraft Calendar , that picture of IA_Woodsmans would have to be one of the 12.   Wow.  If that one doesnt say "bushcraft"...  :)

Its 3 am and I'm making a pot of coffee right now.   My Wisdom tooth decided not to wait two weeks for my dental apt. and cracked... big time.    The pain in the jaw, ear, and throat seems to feel better with sipping hot stuff.  Coffee. 

I'd like to find one of these french presses you talk about, cuz this Mr. Coffee is THE slowest pot everrrrrrr......

WW.

Offline BENCH

• Mill File+
« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2013, 05:23:29 AM »
I. Have never had a bad cup of coffee,brewed or instant.   It just needs to be hot. 

I have nothing against a coffee pot in camp :-)
Would rather be judged by twelve, than carried by six!!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #86 on: March 31, 2013, 06:55:04 AM »
Ya know.. if there was a Bushcraft Calendar , that picture of IA_Woodsmans would have to be one of the 12.   Wow.  If that one doesnt say "bushcraft"...  :)

Its 3 am and I'm making a pot of coffee right now.   My Wisdom tooth decided not to wait two weeks for my dental apt. and cracked... big time.    The pain in the jaw, ear, and throat seems to feel better with sipping hot stuff.  Coffee. 

I'd like to find one of these french presses you talk about, cuz this Mr. Coffee is THE slowest pot everrrrrrr......

WW.

It may need to be cleaned,  before I started using filtered water for my coffee I was going through a new coffee maker every year,  and they would get slower and slower at brewing until they finally quit,  so I got some coffee pot cleaner and cleaned the pot every three or four weeks and it really made a difference.

Online wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2013, 07:17:19 AM »
When our Bunn starts to slow to a maddeningly slow trickle, we run a potful of 50/50 vinegar and water through it.  Let it sit in the tank for a while, then start pouring fresh pots of water (around 6-7) through it to clear the vinegar out.  The little "shower head" unscrews on ours, too.....that thing can become plugged with little flakes of lime, too.   Then it's good for several more months of HEAVY coffee-swilling! 8) :coffee:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2013, 07:18:45 AM »
  Actually I had a French Press,  it made excellent coffee but had a few flaws that I couldn't get past,  it didn't make enough coffee (minimum pot at our house in the morning is four full sized mugs),  ...

That's my only complaint about it. I build a "12 cup pot" of coffee that fills my coffee mug only 3 1/2 times. And that's just me drinking it. The pot may sit there staying warm for 4-5 hours, the coffee getting staler by the hour.
With the French press, I can be heating water while drinking one cup, fill the press to steep, and have a fresh cup ready when I am. I keep the press warm on a metal diffuser plate on the stove top. I also find I drink less coffee using the press, 'cause it's a matter of quality vs. quantity.
Laugh if you will, but I was also looking at a newfangled mouse trap at the store today. I'm always willing to try something new, if it's better than what I've been doing.  :P ;D

I usually make about 8-1/2 cups in my coffee maker every morning,  that makes about four American standard cups (no extended pinky sippers around here),  I usually have one quick cup to wake up,  then a more relaxed cup shortly after that,  my pot has a timer for the hot plate for one ~ two hours,  I set the timer for two hours,  my wife is a one cup a day coffee drinker,  but likes hers in a big thick Beer mug,  keeping the coffee warm for a couple of hours is the limit before the quality goes down hill, so it works out good for us.
 Both my French Presses were Bodums (broke the first one cleaning it) and made excellent coffee,  they came in a metal frame holder with legs,  and the instructions were clear,  "do not use on a heat source", so keeping the coffee warm over a two hour period was not possible,  and making individual cups every time you wanted a cup is too much trouble.
 I see a lot of folks today using those single cup makers with the little premeasured containers,  those look like a good idea,  but expensive.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2013, 09:42:25 AM »
.... my pot has a timer for the hot plate for one ~ two hours,  I set the timer for two hours,  my wife is a one cup a day coffee drinker,  but likes hers in a big thick Beer mug,  keeping the coffee warm for a couple of hours is the limit before the quality goes down hill, so it works out good for us.
 .... the instructions were clear,  "do not use on a heat source", so keeping the coffee warm over a two hour period was not possible,  ...

I was gifted a new Mr. Coffee 12 cup pot when my other one crapped out. The old one had a fixed shut off timer at 2 hours. I liked that a lot, because I always forget to shut off the new one, which has NO bells and whistles. I've been known to re-heat a partial pot, rather than let it sit and evaporate, mainly for economic reasons. It goes against my Scot's blood to throw out old coffee.

I made it a point to look for a French press that had no legs. I got a durable one at B,B & B. It also bears the warning about not using it on a stove top. But I always take warnings like that as directed at consumers who have no common sense. The lid is plastic, as is the handle. If someone put it on the range, and boiled water in it, they'd probably destroy it, and then sue the company.
We keep the last cup+ warm by setting the carafe on a heat diffuser plate over the stove element. Kept on medium low, it stays hot without hurting the glass carafe.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2013, 02:48:07 PM »
.... my pot has a timer for the hot plate for one ~ two hours,  I set the timer for two hours,  my wife is a one cup a day coffee drinker,  but likes hers in a big thick Beer mug,  keeping the coffee warm for a couple of hours is the limit before the quality goes down hill, so it works out good for us.
 .... the instructions were clear,  "do not use on a heat source", so keeping the coffee warm over a two hour period was not possible,  ...

I was gifted a new Mr. Coffee 12 cup pot when my other one crapped out. The old one had a fixed shut off timer at 2 hours. I liked that a lot, because I always forget to shut off the new one, which has NO bells and whistles. I've been known to re-heat a partial pot, rather than let it sit and evaporate, mainly for economic reasons. It goes against my Scot's blood to throw out old coffee.

I made it a point to look for a French press that had no legs. I got a durable one at B,B & B. It also bears the warning about not using it on a stove top. But I always take warnings like that as directed at consumers who have no common sense. The lid is plastic, as is the handle. If someone put it on the range, and boiled water in it, they'd probably destroy it, and then sue the company.
We keep the last cup+ warm by setting the carafe on a heat diffuser plate over the stove element. Kept on medium low, it stays hot without hurting the glass carafe.

I don't throw away left over coffee either,  at six bucks for 11 ounces of coffee I recycle,  when I have any left over from the day before I dump it into a cup or glass, rinse the pot and set the coffee maker up for six or eight cups,  replace the paper strainer and put in fresh grounds,  then pour the old coffee back in the pot and let it mix with the fresh brew,  I never got a bad cup yet.
  If I'm planning to make one of Smoke Walker's chocolate cakes I always make an extra cup to add as the liquid.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2013, 09:07:35 PM »
...  at six bucks for 11 ounces of coffee I recycle,  ...

$8.73 per pound!?  I don't think I'd still be drinking coffee, at that price. :shocked:

Offline buzzacott

• Whetstone +
« Reply #92 on: April 01, 2013, 02:20:39 AM »
I only drink instant or pod coffee at home, but when I go bush I always enjoy fresh brewed black coffee done cowboy style.

Here's how I do it -

Warm a canteen cup of water on the stove/fire, then toss in 2 tbsp of ground coffee - Illy Espresso grind is my go-to
Bring to the boil
Remove from heat and add 1/4 cup of cold water then bang the spoon on the rim of the cup a couple of times. The cooler water and the banging settles the grounds.
Add a teaspoon of raw sugar without stirring and enjoy.

Coffee grounds are dumped off track and away from water and the cup rinsed with a couple of splashes of water from the canteen. Some people don't agree with coffee grounds being dumped, but the way I see it they are organic, can't germinate and break down quickly so I don't have a problem with it. Anyone who wants to pack out their coffee grounds are welcome to do so - I just don't see the need.

On the rare occasions that I brew billy tea out in the sticks, I do it in a very similar way, but usually in a 1 litre billycan since it's easier to settle the leaves through centrifugal force than with banging the rim.
Don't kill unless for the pot. Don't fell a green tree for a pole if there are dry poles nearby. Study the bush, learn to read its secrets; watch the mason fly building and go to the ant for another lesson... then you'll realise the bush is your friend.
Richard Graves - 1944

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #93 on: April 01, 2013, 07:12:30 AM »
...  at six bucks for 11 ounces of coffee I recycle,  ...

$8.73 per pound!?  I don't think I'd still be drinking coffee, at that price. :shocked:

Like everthing else the price fluctuates,  the last two weeks it's been down to $5.29 a tin,  we like Melitta Clasic blend,  and it's not as bad as it sounds,  I started using Melitta shortly after we got our first French press,  I was using Maxwellhouse or what ever was on sale at the time and not having very much luck with the press, so I decide to read the instructions again.
  I had missed the part where it said to use a fine grind coffee,  so I started to use Melitta and was well satisfied with the results,  being a fine grind coffee you only have to use 2/3 the amount of coffee that you would use with a regular size grind,  that means that 11 ounces of fine grind is equal to one pound of regular grind.
  I usually get through a week on a 11 ounce tin,  if I use Dunkin Dounut's, or Eight o'Clock coffee I need a full pound to make it the same length of time,  so the price equals out,  and I think it's a better coffee.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #94 on: April 01, 2013, 09:14:08 AM »

Like everthing else the price fluctuates,  the last two weeks it's been down to $5.29 a tin,  we like Melitta Clasic blend,  and it's not as bad as it sounds,  I started using Melitta shortly after we got our first French press,  I was using Maxwellhouse or what ever was on sale at the time and not having very much luck with the press, so I decide to read the instructions again.
  I had missed the part where it said to use a fine grind coffee,  so I started to use Melitta and was well satisfied with the results,  being a fine grind coffee you only have to use 2/3 the amount of coffee that you would use with a regular size grind,  that means that 11 ounces of fine grind is equal to one pound of regular grind.
  I usually get through a week on a 11 ounce tin,  if I use Dunkin Dounut's, or Eight o'Clock coffee I need a full pound to make it the same length of time,  so the price equals out,  and I think it's a better coffee.

I certainly enjoy a quality coffee, but I have to be practical at the same time. Right now I'm getting a 48 oz 'can' of Folger's French Roast medium-dark at Costco for about $12. 6-7 months ago it was $9-something.  >:(
Anyway, that 48 oz lasts me about 2 month, I think. The flavor isn't anything to write home about, but it delivers my required daily caffeine dose.  ;)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #95 on: April 01, 2013, 10:38:07 AM »
OP.. thats the coffee I buy too.    I got it for 7.99 at Shopko and it hangs around 9.00 at the Family Dollar store. 

About a week ago, my mother calls and in our conversation she says.. " Did you hear that coffee is going to come down in price?  They say they have an over abundance of coffee now"...   And of course we had to talk about prices of foods ect.    Not two days later she calls again.. crabby...  and says.." Marsh.. didnt I just tell you they said on tv coffee was coming down?"  I said  "yes you did..why?'.. "well.. SOMEONE bought it all " she says..  "Now they say the price will go up higher...I'm sooo mad at that person for making us short on coffee again "....    (ya.. you gotta luv her).

WW.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #96 on: April 01, 2013, 10:42:43 AM »

I certainly enjoy a quality coffee, but I have to be practical at the same time. Right now I'm getting a 48 oz 'can' of Folger's French Roast medium-dark at Costco for about $12. 6-7 months ago it was $9-something.  >:(
Anyway, that 48 oz lasts me about 2 month, I think. The flavor isn't anything to write home about, but it delivers my required daily caffeine dose.  ;)

I hear you, and I agree about being practical,  if food prices keep increasing any more than they have been we'll be forced to eat grass clippings and drink pine needle tea, and that's not too far from the truth  >:(.
 While I was at the market last week I saw the big Folgers container on sale for about $12.00 and considered trying it out,  I may still do that if it's still on sale when I go back this week.
 About all I buy now is sale items and still need to find a way to cut further,  I'm thinking that if it continues we are all going to be going back to thinking like hunter gatherers  :)

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #97 on: April 01, 2013, 10:53:12 AM »
 About all I buy now is sale items and still need to find a way to cut further,  I'm thinking that if it continues we are all going to be going back to thinking like hunter gatherers  :) .

Never fear, 'they' will figure that out. Not the thread for it, but the hunting regs here in Montana over the past 3 years have been designed to wipe out subsistence hunting.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #98 on: April 01, 2013, 10:57:38 AM »
 I was at Amazon yesterday shopping for a French Press that would make a large coffee mug amount at a time.   Anyone have one to suggest?   This would be for making coffee 'out there at camp'.. :)

OP.. I had to delete out what I was going to say about the prices of licenses and permits going up too.

WW.   

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #99 on: April 01, 2013, 12:03:02 PM »
I was at Amazon yesterday shopping for a French Press that would make a large coffee mug amount at a time.   Anyone have one to suggest?   This would be for making coffee 'out there at camp'.. :)

OP.. I had to delete out what I was going to say about the prices of licenses and permits going up too.

WW.

I'd be looking for one with a metal carafe if I was going to use it out in the bush.
I seriously think this is your best place to start. Click on the link below.

Bed, Bath & Beyond

The one I got for the wife was the Bodum 8 cup, but it's all glass.