Author Topic: French Meat Pie  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
French Meat Pie
« on: November 27, 2012, 02:04:02 PM »

This is a favorite comfort food in most French Canadian households,  especially around the Holidays and winter months.

1-pound each of ground beef and ground pork.
    2-1/2 pounds of white potatoes.
    2-stalks of celery sliced to 1/4" rounds.
    1-medium yellow onion diced.
    2-9" pie crusts.
    Salt and pepper to taste.
    Bell's poultry seasoning to taste.
    2- large eggs.
    2- garlic cloves minced.
    1/2 cup of chicken stock  (made from boullion)

Sautee onions, celery, and garlic in a little butter untill half tender and set aside.
    Brown meat and break it up into small granular pieces.
    Add the celery, onions and garlic to the meat along with a half cup of chicken stock.
    Add salt, pepper, and two tbsp. of Bell's poultry seasonings.
    Simmer for about 10 minutes.

Peel potatoes and simmer in salted water until fork tender and mash.
    let the ingredients cool a little for about 15 minutes.

Mix the meat mixture into the mashed potatoes.
    Taste for seasonings and adjust to taste.
    Beat the two eggs and add 3/4 of the beaten eggs to the meat-potato mixture and mix.
    Place one pie crust into an ungreased deep dish glass pie dish and fill with the dressing.
    Place the top crust on the dish and cut slits in the crust for venting.
    Use the rest of the beaten eggs to brush on the crust,  then pinch the edges of the crusts
    Pre-heat the oven to the baking directions for the crust and bake until the crust is golden
    brown.
    Let cool when done for fifteen minutes before cutting,  serve with Ketchup or cranberry
    sauce.

The same basic recipe can be used as a meat/potato dressing for Chicken and Turkey,  it can be stuffed into the bird, or simply leave out the eggs and serve as a side dish.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
French Meat Pie
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 04:08:52 PM »
That sounds pretty good Moe, I think I'll try that... With gluten free almond flour crust of course!

Except I'm not a big fan of 'the French' ;D or Europe in general for that matter, but that's another story ;)
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Re: French Meat Pie
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 04:46:09 PM »
That sounds pretty good Moe, I think I'll try that... With gluten free almond flour crust of course!

Except I'm not a big fan of 'the French' ;D or Europe in general for that matter, but that's another story ;)

Are you talking about the people or the food ?   :)

Seriously,  I have found it hard to warm up to certain ethnicity's as well,  but i've also found that it's not an across the board thing and not really based on any fact or truth that I can point to.
  For example,  in general I find Brit's to be too argumentative and judgemental,  but I have a very good friend and his wife that are from GB and we get along just fine,  I've a friend that's from Germany,  she drives me nuts with her honesty,  if she sees a stranger that is wearing ugly shoes she'll walk right up to her and tell her she has ugly shoes,  I think she thinks she's doing them a favor,  but sometimes she's embarrassing to be around, and she means no harm and she has one of the biggest hearts i've ever seen in a person.
  And man,  don't ever drink beer with an Aussie unless you're in the mood for a fist fight, that's the way it will always end up  :),  but the bottom line is,  we're all different in some ways as individuals,  and that's what makes the world such a great place.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
French Meat Pie
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 05:12:04 PM »
My favorite folks to drink with we're my Canadian hockey playing buddies in college... I loved those guys ;D

I was also friends with a couple of 'Frenchmen'. The were alright fellows I suppose, but they were what some folks might call... 'Fancy Boys'... The weren't gay, they were just 'Fancy'.
Man, those were the days ;)

Heck, I'm a ethnic mutt;
A little German, Scot-Irish, Cherokee Indian, and god only knows what else ???

Sorry Moe... Didn't mean to derail your thread. I am going to try that recipe soon though :)

Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline Yeoman

• Water Stone
Re: French Meat Pie
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 05:51:08 PM »
Thanks for the recipe.
Tortierre in Quebec after midnight Mass on Christmas Eve. Hmmmmm. If you have ground moose or venison, you replace the beef with it.
Down here in the Maritimes, the Acadiens have a version made from rabbit called rappi pie. Yummy.
"Learning: a continuation of the failure process"