Author Topic: Is it too cold to cook  (Read 8440 times)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Is it too cold to cook
« on: January 25, 2013, 09:50:31 AM »

Where is everybody hiding out that's usually talking about food or making it ?

In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Re: Is it too cold to cook
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 10:41:30 AM »
  Ok, if nobody has any neat new food things to talk about,  how about sharing some of the experiences that you've had with food that  didn't work out quite like you expected ?

I've got one from just this morning,  as usual there wasn't anything much good on TV last night except for reruns of Frazier starting at ten o'clock  :),  so I passed the evening watching some of the first episodes of Dave Canterbury's Journal of the Yurt on U-Tube,  I find that I always pick up some little bit of learning that I had missed before or forgotten about in his videos.
  In one segment he was preparing supper which consisted of a thick slice of salt cured and smoked bacon fried in a heavy skillet,  then what he called a sweet corn cake,  he mixed the corn cake by mixing some cornmeal, a little whole wheat flour,  a pinch of salt, a beaten egg,  and some water mixed with brown sugar together, then frying it in the bacon drippings,  while eating he commented on how good it was.
  I watched the video a second time this morning and made the same for breakfast,  I have to say that I am a DC fan, I haven't found many times when he's been wrong on most things dealing with wilderness woodscraft,  but back to the corn cake and bacon,  the bacon, as usual, was great,  the corn cake on the other hand was a serious attack on the taste buds.
  Something that I found odd,  because the recipe is not much different than actual cornbread,  and I have fried drop bread,  hoe cakes,  and bannok in bacon drippings before,  so I can't put my finger on why it tasted so bad,  unless it had to do with the brown sugar caramelized in the bacon fat.
  The only difference between Daves recipe and what I made was that he used a cheap self rising cornmeal while I used what I had which is old fashioned stone ground cornmeal with no levening.
  But the bottom line is that it was a serious fail.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 11:27:06 AM »
Actually, I was at work freezin....but I have a few days off, might try to whip sumthin up. I'd tell ya about my failed Ox tail fiasco, but my therapist says its still to early to recount that fateful day... :'(
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 12:13:51 PM »
Actually, I was at work freezin....but I have a few days off, might try to whip sumthin up. I'd tell ya about my failed Ox tail fiasco, but my therapist says its still to early to recount that fateful day... :'(

I'll be waiting for that story  :).

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 12:22:46 PM »

Have you no Mercy!...lol
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline rogumpogum

• Water Stone
  • I like pickles.
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 12:25:48 PM »
I've been on a ramen noodle diet lately. Funds low. Energy low. Arse frozen.
"My common sense is tingling..."

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
Is it too cold to cook
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 12:40:47 PM »
Tonight I'm cooking (all recipes from the Hunan Province in China)...

Beef with cumin
Stir-fried fava beans with chives
Stir-fried Chinese leaf cabbage with chopped salted chilies with...
10 SPOON (a local winery) Paradise dry pear wine :D

Sent from my vintage rotary pay phone
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 01:04:26 PM »

Have you no Mercy!...lol

I do,  but I am also human,  and therefore enjoy the humor that can be found in such situations.   :)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 04:10:09 PM »
I retrieved the sourdough pot from the fridge this morning and fed it heavily, so we'll have a lot of sponge to work with this weekend.  We have company coming that have had our sourdough pancakes in the past and they requested them again for at least one breakfast.  I hate bein' told what to do, but I don't need much arm-twistin' to make this happen O:-)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 04:56:42 PM »
I retrieved the sourdough pot from the fridge this morning and fed it heavily, so we'll have a lot of sponge to work with this weekend.  We have company coming that have had our sourdough pancakes in the past and they requested them again for at least one breakfast.  I hate bein' told what to do, but I don't need much arm-twistin' to make this happen O:-)

LOL,  You know you love it,  all someone has to do is slobber over your cooking and you'll work your ass off to please them and make it just that much better next time,  My wife, kids, rest of the family and friends are trained now,  half way through any of my meals,  if they haven't complimented the food they know I'll bug the hell out of them as to how it is,  sometimes they'll even test me on it.   :rofl:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 06:13:31 PM »
I was at the dentist and after the Novacaine (or whatever they use these days) wore off I had bitten my tongue a couple of times.  I ain't eating much at the moment unless it is soft and cold.  Maybe ice cream for me tonight. :-[
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 06:36:42 PM »
I was at the dentist and after the Novacaine (or whatever they use these days) wore off I had bitten my tongue a couple of times.  I ain't eating much at the moment unless it is soft and cold.  Maybe ice cream for me tonight. :-[

If I were there I'd fix ya' some of my little dollar-size sourdough pancakes, Stan.....they melt in your mouth O:-)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 06:39:40 PM »

If I were there I'd fix ya' some of my little dollar-size sourdough pancakes, Stan.....they melt in your mouth O:-)

Thanks Wolfy, that sounds good, the melting part.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 07:17:07 PM »
OH man Stan, I feel for ya.  I had to have a wisdom pulled last fall..  Everything BUT the tooth area went numb...even my ear.    And I have to go get another one worked on this coming Wednesday.  ugh.

And Moe.. yes.. to coold to cook. :)   Its just tooo risky..   I was taught to never put your tongue on metal in the winter time and if I was out there cookin.. I'd be tastin.. and I havent gotten my wooden spoon carved yet so its unsafe  for me right now.   Thats my story and I'm ..cough.. stickin to it.  heh heh..

:)

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 10:06:17 PM »
OH man Stan, I feel for ya.  I had to have a wisdom pulled last fall..  Everything BUT the tooth area went numb...even my ear.    And I have to go get another one worked on this coming Wednesday.  ugh.

And Moe.. yes.. to coold to cook. :)   Its just tooo risky..   I was taught to never put your tongue on metal in the winter time and if I was out there cookin.. I'd be tastin.. and I havent gotten my wooden spoon carved yet so its unsafe  for me right now.   Thats my story and I'm ..cough.. stickin to it.  heh heh..

:)

WW.

LOL,  It's been in the single numbers here for the last three weeks,  and I don't usually cook outside between the last day of November and the first day of April,  that time is reserved for cooking in the kitchen,  and refining my Martini recipes.   :)     
  Call me a sissy if you want, it's ok,  but I've spent near a life time being out in bad weather, much of it in the cold,  My systems operate best between 40 and 90 degrees, anything below or above those two figures and you can look for me near the stove or the air conditioner. 

Offline werewolf won

• Water Stone
  • TANSTAAFL
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 05:39:09 AM »
  Ok, if nobody has any neat new food things to talk about,  how about sharing some of the experiences that you've had with food that  didn't work out quite like you expected ?

I've got one from just this morning,  as usual there wasn't anything much good on TV last night except for reruns of Frazier starting at ten o'clock  :),  so I passed the evening watching some of the first episodes of Dave Canterbury's Journal of the Yurt on U-Tube,  I find that I always pick up some little bit of learning that I had missed before or forgotten about in his videos.
  In one segment he was preparing supper which consisted of a thick slice of salt cured and smoked bacon fried in a heavy skillet,  then what he called a sweet corn cake,  he mixed the corn cake by mixing some cornmeal, a little whole wheat flour,  a pinch of salt, a beaten egg,  and some water mixed with brown sugar together, then frying it in the bacon drippings,  while eating he commented on how good it was.
  I watched the video a second time this morning and made the same for breakfast,  I have to say that I am a DC fan, I haven't found many times when he's been wrong on most things dealing with wilderness woodscraft,  but back to the corn cake and bacon,  the bacon, as usual, was great,  the corn cake on the other hand was a serious attack on the taste buds.
  Something that I found odd,  because the recipe is not much different than actual cornbread,  and I have fried drop bread,  hoe cakes,  and bannok in bacon drippings before,  so I can't put my finger on why it tasted so bad,  unless it had to do with the brown sugar caramelized in the bacon fat.
  The only difference between Daves recipe and what I made was that he used a cheap self rising cornmeal while I used what I had which is old fashioned stone ground cornmeal with no levening.

I thought DC used a corn bread mix not corn meal, but I have not watched that in a long time. 
I'll be a story in your head, but that's OK we're all stories in the end.  Just make it a good one!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 09:22:05 AM »

I thought DC used a corn bread mix not corn meal, but I have not watched that in a long time.

It can be confusing,  he has several vids in that series in which he cooks or bakes differents foods,  and he does use different ingredients,  and sometimes he mis-names them besides.
  In one segment he makes fried squirrel leg and a "corn cake" in a skillet on his little yurt wood stove,  in that one he uses lard and makes the Corn cake out of Cornbread muffin mix,  in another segment he makes what he calls "corn fritter" and some salt cured bacon slices,  in that one he uses cormeal,  and he refers to it once as cornmeal and the second time as corn flour,  I think what he was using was old fashioned stone ground cornmeal,  which has a consistency closer to actual flour than to the type of cornmeal that we a used to seeing on the bottom of baked bread.

But I have to say this about that ( :) ), as much as I respect Dave's ability with wilderness and survival skills,  in my opinion he has to be one of the worlds worst trail cooks,  everone knows you can't screw up bacon (although I could tell you about my wife's experiences in trying to grill it over a charcoal fire),  but some of the other stuff he makes,  it plain sucks.
  Two example that come to mind are those "corn cakes or fritters", he used an egg, brown sugar, water, and baking soda,  in one he used a cornbread mix, the other cornflour,  and he used lard and bacon grease to fry in,  both tasted awful,  I think it was because brown sugar tends to burn at moderate heat,  baking soda works ok when baking,  not so well when fried in hot lard or bacon drippings,  both give off a sweet burned flavor to the crust of the cake or fritter that smells bad and tastes worse.
  And the other is his gravy,  anyone that knows how to make gravy knows you start by making a roux,  then adding a cool liquid to form a paste which is added to warm stock or milk to form the gravy,  Dave mixes cold water with cold flour to make a wall paper type paste to which he adds seasonings and warms on the stove,  in my opinion,  it might stick to your ribs,  but probably not for very long,   :puke:

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 09:26:18 AM »
 :rofl: :thumbsup: :cheers:

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 09:39:02 AM »
*** thats the only way I know how to make gravy***     But I was told if you use flour you have to let it cook in gravy form for five mins to make sure the flour taste is gone. 

WW.  < prolly never making gravy again......

On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 10:45:36 AM »
*** thats the only way I know how to make gravy***     But I was told if you use flour you have to let it cook in gravy form for five mins to make sure the flour taste is gone. 

WW.  < prolly never making gravy again......

Which way ?

If you mean like Dave does it,  I can see why  :).

Good gravy is easy to make,  and without lumps,  all that's needed is to understand your ingredients,  and how they work with each other.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 12:42:52 PM »
Yup..Daves way if I understand it right.      You make your meats, take out the meat, add some water to the bits at the bottom of the pan and let it simmer awhile to soften them up.   Grab a glass and put some water in, a dallop of flour, stir to make paste and then drizzle tht into the simmering water.  Stir.   Let it simmer/bubble for a good five mins and then season.   Add the meats back in to simmer in with gravy.   Or not, if gravy is intended for mashed potates ect.

If I want a clear gravy I'd do the same, but with corn starch. 

WW.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 01:30:22 PM »
Yup..Daves way if I understand it right.      You make your meats, take out the meat, add some water to the bits at the bottom of the pan and let it simmer awhile to soften them up.   Grab a glass and put some water in, a dallop of flour, stir to make paste and then drizzle tht into the simmering water.  Stir.   Let it simmer/bubble for a good five mins and then season.   Add the meats back in to simmer in with gravy.   Or not, if gravy is intended for mashed potates ect.

If I want a clear gravy I'd do the same, but with corn starch. 

WW.
  If it works for you it's the way to go,  besides,  my way takes longer.   :)

Offline zzerru

• Mill File
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2013, 07:47:53 PM »

I cure/smoke bacon at home and have to agree, DC is spot on with bacon and corn cake combo. Great camp food and easily made from ingredients that last a long time w/o refrigeration.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2013, 10:28:15 PM »
Where do you guys get your bellies from to do the smoking?   Special order?   Or raise your own?

WW.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
Is it too cold to cook
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2013, 10:34:17 PM »
Where do you guys get your bellies from to do the smoking?   Special order?   Or raise your own?

WW.
We have raised our own, but there're are only so many bellies on a pig ;D
So... We buy ours from a little butcher shop outside of town that butchers meat for some local grocers and sells to the public. All the meat is locally grown too :D

Sent from my vintage rotary pay phone
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!