Author Topic: cumberland gap  (Read 1196 times)

Offline ShrekVa

• Whetstone +
cumberland gap
« on: January 30, 2013, 02:44:28 PM »
Hello, I plan on taking my son who will be 7 by then and big for his age, on a couple trips away from our woods, somthn different for him but still close by, Ild like to take him to mount rogers and cumberland gap, so if anyone has some trip advice or has kids and would like to do a kid oriented camp out let me know. Thanks.

Gus

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
Re: cumberland gap
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 06:52:19 PM »
We take my buddies 7 year old son once in a while out backpacking.  I was worried his little legs would have problems keeping up.  Well no worries there.  We get into camp dead tired from a 15 mile hike and he wants to walk down to the river.  :lol:

Anyway make sure his pack fits well is a must.  We make camp a learning exercise.  We have learned how to make fire with flint, steel, and char cloth.  We have made some paracord bracelets.  We did some whittling and making figure 4 dead-falls (bring some bandaids for this one.)  Collected sticks for firewood and found good natural tinder.  Really just all the normal bushcraft things just geared toward having him be the center of it.  Also bring cards in case you run out of other things to do.   

Offline upthecreek

• Charred Cloth Challenge
  • Global Moderator
  • Diamond Stone
  • Friction Fire Fellowship & River Rat
    • my youtube
Re: cumberland gap
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 08:05:46 PM »
Sounds like a great time. Pretty area too. My kids are grown as are most of my buddies, but let us know where your headed and we could meet up. We're a pretty kid friendly bunch.

Creek
Axes Rock!