Author Topic: Food Dehydrator help  (Read 6678 times)

Offline lgm

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
Food Dehydrator help
« on: February 16, 2013, 10:04:51 AM »
I need some help. I want to get a  Food Dehydrator but know very little. What do you use? The one I am looking at is the "Nesco Professional 700W 5-Tray Food Dehydrator" Is Nesco a good brand? Three reasons I am looking at this is the price about $60 and it is made in the U.S.A. Also it looks like a good starter dehyrator not to big but expandable.
Thanks for the help.
What a great day to be outside.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
Re: Food Dehydrator help
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 10:07:02 AM »
Is it the round one?

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 10:16:21 AM »
I need some help. I want to get a  Food Dehydrator but know very little. What do you use? The one I am looking at is the "Nesco Professional 700W 5-Tray Food Dehydrator" Is Nesco a good brand? Three reasons I am looking at this is the price about $60 and it is made in the U.S.A. Also it looks like a good starter dehyrator not to big but expandable.
Thanks for the help.
Nesco is a good brand, but there is a lot of difference between models.
I would spring the extra $$ and get the "Garden Master". You won't regret it.
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline lgm

• Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 10:53:28 AM »
Yes it is a round one.
Garden Master you say, Thanks I will check it out.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 11:02:30 AM »
Yes it is a round one.
Garden Master you say, Thanks I will check it out.
If you want to get one that you can hand down to your kids, look at the ones by American Harvest. Actually, I think that's who makes the Garden Master.
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline lgm

• Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 11:06:06 AM »
I would say handing down to my kids is important. It is my son that is pushing me to get one. I think he wants to make squirrel jerky. He is a good boy.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 11:20:09 AM »
I would say handing down to my kids is important. It is my son that is pushing me to get one. I think he wants to make squirrel jerky. He is a good boy.

I'm behind the times. Apparently Nesco acquired American Harvest.
Anyway, here is the Deal of the Year.
Don't confuse yourself with various other mfg claims. Just DO IT!

http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-American-Harvest-FD-1018P-Dehydrator/dp/B001795P4O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361038661&sr=8-1&keywords=american+harvest+dehydrator

Offline BUSHYBEARD

• Whetstone +
  • practicing bushcrafter
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 02:10:46 PM »
Do yourselve a favor and spring for a little extra and get a dehydrator you will be able to hand down to your great grandchildren

http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/

they come in a few different sizes eg 4 tray 5 tray etc etc
Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda, ain't an option

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 02:24:08 PM »
I own the Excalibur myself, but thought I'd throw up this vid simply for some comparisons...the guy is a little Howie Mandelish, but if you can get by that it may help you to understand a few potential differences...

"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 02:49:16 PM »
I stopped viewing the video the moment I saw what "circular" dehydrator he was comparing to the Excalibur, and as soon as he said the round one only had a vertical air flow.
That looked like an old Ron Popeil POS, and doesn't have any of the technology of the current good quality ones.
The American Harvest model I linked to above comes with fruit roll up trays for dehydrating soups, eggs, etc. You can't do that with a unit that doesn't have cross-flow air distribution.
That video is like comparing an F-250 to a Volkswagen bug.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 02:51:26 PM »
Do yourselve a favor and spring for a little extra and get a dehydrator you will be able to hand down to your great grandchildren

http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/

they come in a few different sizes eg 4 tray 5 tray etc etc
The American Harvest unit will take up to 24 trays. The old ones used to take 35, but they cut back on the fan size in newer ones.  The circular dehydrators are expandable this way. The "box" models are not.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 03:02:39 PM »
I stopped viewing the video the moment I saw what "circular" dehydrator he was comparing to the Excalibur, and as soon as he said the round one only had a vertical air flow.
That looked like an old Ron Popeil POS, and doesn't have any of the technology of the current good quality ones.
The American Harvest model I linked to above comes with fruit roll up trays for dehydrating soups, eggs, etc. You can't do that with a unit that doesn't have cross-flow air distribution.
That video is like comparing an F-250 to a Volkswagen bug.

OUCH!....LOL...yea I realize it may not be the best comparison, but it does show what you DON'T WANT in a circular dehydrator... ;)

In the essence of being fair to OP, I've provided a vid for a more up to date circular dehydrator that should show them in a little better light...

Offline lgm

• Water Stone
  • Bacon eater.
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 03:57:39 PM »
Thanks for all the help, I am having trouble  finding a balance between finding a
 good one and not spending a lot of $.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 04:01:02 PM »
Thanks for all the help, I am having trouble  finding a balance between finding a
 good one and not spending a lot of $.
With few exceptions, like anything else, you get what you pay for. The American Harvest kit for $132 and free shipping is the best of both worlds. Excellent product, medium price.

LOL! Thanks for finding that video, Zammer!

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 07:42:52 PM »
Good timing.  My backpacking buddy and I were looking for alternatives to the same old Mountain House.  We ran across several of the youtube videos of people who did their own dehydrating of veggies for backpacking.  Some of what they made actually looked pretty darn good.  Are you guys using a dehydrator to make your own Mountain House style trail meals?  If so what are some good recipes you are using? 

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2013, 08:27:07 PM »
I have the American Harvest and put up to 12 trays on it.   We've cut vinyl screening to fit the trays for a better base for dried veggies to sit on and for easier removal.  We also sacraficed one tray to cut out sections for taller/thicker stuff to fit in between trays. 

You DO want to get a dehydrator with a heat control on it.  Some dont have it.   

I've done gallons and gallons of dried fruit/veggies and jerkies on mine and have owned it 18 years now. 

And even if you went with the cheaper model.. (WITH heat control)  learn what you like and dont like and upgrade if you forsee never living with out one.  And then like me.. use this older one for onion/garlic and phewie smelling things out on the porch.  :)   

I can attest to the fact the excalibur dries muskrat hides very well.     :-\   

As for uses..  you can dry yogurt, sour dough starters, herbs, cellphones (chuckle),bread ends for breading or croutons,pre-made meals and flowers in it.  Among the normal things too.  I also wonder if it would work on low or no temps for drying leather work??   

I've bought the book by Mary Bell on dehydrating foods.  She is a backpacker and she gives recipes on how to use the dried foods too. 

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2013, 08:37:13 PM »
Have you tried any of her recipes, WW?   If you'd put a couple of the better ones in the recipe section, I'd like to give them a try O:-)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2013, 12:08:41 AM »
I can attest to the fact the excalibur dries muskrat hides very well.     :-\   

LMAO...I'm afraid to ask. :D