Author Topic: I think it's time for a change, how about something new.  (Read 14856 times)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone

It seems like I've been seeing the same old threads now for a long time in this section,  have we all quit eating,  cooking,  baking,  or have we just lost interest ?
  Dandelion coffee,  Kangaroo jerky,  and What's your favorite fish is interesting,  but I think it's time to move the discussion a bit. 
  Summers coming,  campfires,  BBQ,  Grilling,  and finger foods are going to be the order of the day for many of our up coming weekends.
  Surely there has to be a bunch of good and simple recipes for quick or easy outdoor (or indoor) family fun foods that our members could share.

How about it folks,  what's your favorite Chicken Wings recipe,  how about your very best Rib Rub,  or,  how do you season your Drunkin' Chicken ?

In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
Re: I think it's time for a change, how about something new.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 08:26:17 AM »
G'mornin , Moe.  :)      I made some ribs last weekend.   I wanted to put them in the smoker but company had a busy schedule so I threw them into the oven.    I messed up and just used Famous Daves rib rub.   Not having tasted it before I was bummed I didnt like it.   blah.   Lesson learned. 

WW.

On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 10:04:15 AM »
G'mornin , Moe.  :)      I made some ribs last weekend.   I wanted to put them in the smoker but company had a busy schedule so I threw them into the oven.    I messed up and just used Famous Daves rib rub.   Not having tasted it before I was bummed I didnt like it.   blah.   Lesson learned. 

WW.

Experimenting with food is never a waste,  we always Learn something that will make something better down the road,  being kind of stuck in the house recovering from my eye surgery (can't risk an infection) I've been doing some reading and watching some TV,  what prompted this thread is that this food section hasn't been very active lately,  and I happened on a TV show called BBQ Pit Masters,  they were running the episodes back to back,  it's a BBQ contest held in different states and ending with a grand prize contest of the previous episode winners.
  It's the first time I've watched it and it was pretty interesting,  I learned a little about BBQ Pit cooking, grilling and smoking,  I also learned that even the experts screw up from time to time  :).
  A couple of things that I think will help me is that your probably better off making your own dry rub rather than buying store bought rubs,  the main ingredients appear to be Salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder,  chili powder,  cumin,  and brown sugar,  some also used Cinnamon and finely ground coffee, the other things are that most of the meats (Beef, Chicken, and pork) were seasoned with the same rubs,  and the average cooking temp is about 275F,  most larger cuts are cooked and lightly smoked uncovered for about four to six hours unmolested then taken out of the pit or smoker and based with a light sauce, then wrapped tightly in foil and put back in the "oven" for a couple of more hours (that's where most of the tenderizing takes place).
 Another tip I picked up on is that the meat should be allowed to rest still wrapped in the foil so that it cools slowly,  what I didn't know is that when the meat is done cooking and is hot it will be at it's most tender,  as it starts to cool it stiffens up and looses some of that tenderness,  the fast it cools the tougher it gets,  so letting it cool slowly makes it more tender when served.
 Also, BBQ and like finger foods should be served just above room temp,  never piping hot from the grill or oven.

Anyway, all that great looking food got my juices flowing,  so tonight we're having BBQ-ed Chicken wings and drumsticks with home made potato salad and Cole slaw,  yummmm.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 10:30:38 AM »
Here is an easy one Moe.

Venison tenderloins.  Cut two tenderloins into 3/4 to 1 inch slices.  Soak in a marinade made from a bottle of beer, your choice of spices and condiments (I use garlic, pepper, a couple of jalapeno peppers, and lemon juice or whatever strikes me at the time), and let it set in the refrig. for the day. 

Grill with charcoal over medium heat (or propane if you must).  The rarer the meat the better.  This is simple and the taste is great as long as you don't overcook it. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 12:29:50 PM »
Here is an easy one Moe.

Venison tenderloins.  Cut two tenderloins into 3/4 to 1 inch slices.  Soak in a marinade made from a bottle of beer, your choice of spices and condiments (I use garlic, pepper, a couple of jalapeno peppers, and lemon juice or whatever strikes me at the time), and let it set in the refrig. for the day. 

Grill with charcoal over medium heat (or propane if you must).  The rarer the meat the better.  This is simple and the taste is great as long as you don't overcook it.

It sounds great,  I agree about not over cooking Venison,  I cook my beef briskets in beer but never used it as a marinade,  I do however marinade my Venison Roasts and I've done a Bear roast that I marinaded overnight,  I usually use Coke as a marinade base for those cuts,  theres something in the cola that acts as a tenderizer and helps the meat retain it's juices,  thanks I'll have to give the beer a try.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 01:46:02 PM »
Moe, I'd like to hear more on how your going to do your chicken wings.   I buy those by 10# packages from a local chicken processing place, they are huge.  Its the only part of the chicken hubby will eat.    I've tried doing them on the grill and smoker but the skins are always so rubbery. They taste good with grill marks on them..but I don't care for the chewy rubbery texture and that makes the skin all pull off in one chunk..ick.  I'm ok with a soft saucy skin as long as I can bite through it.  Crisp is always good.  :)

WW.
On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100% and that's pretty good.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 01:51:34 PM »
My guess is the acidic quality of Coke is what helps it tenderize the meat, Moe.  Coke has a pH of about 2.5-2.7.  Liquids with a pH of less than 2.0 are actually considered hazardous.  In any cse, this thread is about cooking and not chemistry so..........

I also made ribs last weekend when we were down on the Edisto.  Made a rub with what was on hand (garlic salt, pepper, onion powder, Montreal Steak Rub, paprika, and Tony Chachere's (sp?)), wrapped in foil, and baked over indirect heat in a charcoal grill for about 3 hours trying to keep the temp between 250 and 300.  Then finished off over direct heat with my homemade sauce.  Didn't hear any complaints, but did get a lot of compliments!

I live in the land of mustard based BBQ sauce and while I'll eat it, a vinegar based sauce is what I prefer so I made some to take down there with us.  Here's my vinegar based BBQ sauce:

2 cups apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup molasses
6 Tbsp steak sauce
10 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp yellow mustard (or 2 tsp dry)
1 Tbsp paprika
2 Tbsp crushed red pepper
2 Tbsp fresh lime or lemon juice

Combine all of the above and simmer for 30 minutes. 

I've only used this on pork, but I think it would work well with poultry, also.  Some of the best BBQ I've ever had was a BBQ'd turkey done in a vinegar based sauce.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 05:39:13 PM by imnukensc »
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 02:31:16 PM »
Moe, I'd like to hear more on how your going to do your chicken wings.   I buy those by 10# packages from a local chicken processing place, they are huge.  Its the only part of the chicken hubby will eat.    I've tried doing them on the grill and smoker but the skins are always so rubbery. They taste good with grill marks on them..but I don't care for the chewy rubbery texture and that makes the skin all pull off in one chunk..ick.  I'm ok with a soft saucy skin as long as I can bite through it.  Crisp is always good.  :)

WW.

Marcia,  There are many ways to flavor wings and drumsticks,  I do a variety,  Buffalo wings,  brown sugar rub,  oriental,  sweet and sticky,  sometimes I just use orange maralade,  and I add the flavor mostly as soon as they are done while they are hot out of the oven,  I put them in a large stainless bowl,  pour on the flavoring (topping) and give them a toss.

But I usually cook the Wings and other Chicken parts the same way,  the basics,  for wings I cut the wing tips off and discard them,  then I generally cut the wing in two to separate the wing section from the drumettes,  heat the oven to 350 F.,  I line a large cookie pan (1/2" sides) with HD foil and give it a spray of Pam,  then I put my chicken pieces in the large Stainless bowl and do the first seasoning,  that's usually seasoned salt and pepper and what ever I have handy,  Mrs.Dash,  Emeralds, McCormicks spicey chicken seasoning,  all of them work well.
    After the seasoning I lightly coat the chicken with light olive oil, then spread the pieces on the baking pan so they aren't touching,  put the pan in the preheated oven on the middle shelf and bake for about one hour,  I usually check them after about forty minutes and turn them over.
    They usually come out crispy and brown and delish.

If you want grilled chicken, I've found the best way is to pre cook it in the oven first and then finish it off on the grill,  I've never had excellent results with chicken on the grill,  they always flare up,  and or they are cooked on the outside and uncooked on the inside,  precooking lets you get grill marks and flavor but reduces the chances of flare ups and under cooked food.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 03:00:33 PM »
I concur Moe!

I will have a thread up in a little bit of a neat trick I picked up from a couple of different places online.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 03:32:00 PM »
I concur Moe!

I will have a thread up in a little bit of a neat trick I picked up from a couple of different places online.

I'll be looking forward to it,  I'm planning on doing more outdoor cooking this summer and fall,  I've got my Brinkman side box smoker/grill cleaned up and ready,  I want to do more smoking and BBQ,  on the list is smoked fish and turkey.

Offline PetrifiedWood

• Friction Fire Fellowship
  • Administrator
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 03:43:41 PM »
I concur Moe!

I'll be looking forward to it,  I'm planning on doing more outdoor cooking this summer and fall,  I've got my Brinkman side box smoker/grill cleaned up and ready,  I want to do more smoking and BBQ,  on the list is smoked fish and turkey.

I've got one of those small offset fire box smokers but it is hard to get an even temperature. It's either scorching hot or barely lukewarm. I wish Smokewalker were still around. :(

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 05:45:46 PM »
I concur Moe!

I've got one of those small offset fire box smokers but it is hard to get an even temperature. It's either scorching hot or barely lukewarm. I wish Smokewalker were still around. :(

My Brinkman does a good job,  for smoking I build a hot fire in the side drum and place the meat in the big end,  when I first got it I had a few problems,  for one I couldn't get enough heat in the big drum,  and even with the baffle closed on the chimney I was loosing a lot of smoke.
    One thing that really improved it was putting an extension on the chimney inside the cooker,  I used a 9" piece of flex pipe that I wedged into the bottom of the chimney so that when I closed the grill cover the flex pipe was just above the grill grates,  that allowed for more smoke to build up in the top of the grill cover and also kept in a lot more heat.
    Another thing I did with mine was to buy three large baking pans at a discount store,  I shot some .22 holes in the bottom of them and use them for my charcoal or hardwood fires,  I get more centralized heat for less charcoal,  plus I can move the heat anywhere on the bottom of the grill that I need it by sliding the pans on the bottom grill grates,  and it makes cleaning the ash easier.

Amen on Woods Walker,  I think about him often,  I still use some of his recipes often, especially his non dairy eggless chocolate cake,  like you I sure wish he'd come back.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 05:51:51 PM by Moe M. »

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 08:18:20 PM »
This is a little different.......... for me, anyway.  I've only made it a few times, but it's good!  How about some Cioppinio?

Fennel bulb thinly sliced
Olive oil
2 onions
2 shallots
Garlic - as much or as little as you like (I use about a heaping tablespoon diced)
Crushed red pepper (as much or as little as you like - I use about 1/2 tablespoon)
Small can tomato paste
2 cans roasted/diced tomato
Chicken or vegetable stock (enough to make it wet, but not soupy)

1 lb mussels - prep
1 lb large uncooked shrimp
1 pound langostinos/lobster or Dungeness crab clusters
1 lb clams (Cherry Stones are nice)
1 lb white fish (cod, tilapia, or whatever) cut into chunks

In hot oil overmedium heat, saute onions, fennel, and shallots until the onions are clear
Add garlic and saute 2 minutes (don't burn the garlic!)
Add tomato paste and canned tomatoes including juice
Add stock and crushed red pepper
Cover, drop heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes

Prep proteins - clean, debeard, devein, etc.

Increase heat just a tad - medium low

Add clams and mussels. Cover and cook until clams and mussels begin to open - about 5 minutes
Add shrimp, langostinos, lobster, or crab, and fish
Simmer until the fish and shrimp are cooked through and the mussels and clams are completely open - about 5 minutes

If clams or mussels don't open, THROW AWAY!!!

Salt and pepper to taste and serve with some crusty french bread.  Enjoy!

Sorry for the crappy pic - seems like all you can see is shrimp and empty mussel shells, but I assure you, it's all in there!  Guess I needed one of those wide shallow soup bowls for the pic.

Offline Quinn

• Whetstone +
    • boneleather
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 02:48:42 PM »
re; smokers...
someone gave me a Brinkman smoker not long ago & I've been using it quite a bit...smoked fish & dove mostly.  There's a little mountain lake within walking distance here, so there's usually some fish in the freezer. Trout mostly, though I did a big bass last weekend.  Some butter & olive oil slathered inside, cupla pinches of dill, smoke 'em about 3  1/2 hours using some apple or mesquite chips.  The bass took about an hour longer to smoke.  The dove I wrap in bacon, though the next batch I may marinate in some apple juice.  Like the Brinkman, just have to keep an eye on the temperature to keep it up.  Toss some dry apple wood on to bring the temp up, toss in some wet apple chips to lower it.
Smoked trout on a bed of wild rice is good eatin'
virtue is nothing more than insufficient temptation

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
I think it's time for a change, how about something new.
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 02:59:32 PM »
This is a little different.......... for me, anyway.  I've only made it a few times, but it's good!  How about some Cioppinio?

Fennel bulb thinly sliced
Olive oil
2 onions
2 shallots
Garlic - as much or as little as you like (I use about a heaping tablespoon diced)
Crushed red pepper (as much or as little as you like - I use about 1/2 tablespoon)
Small can tomato paste
2 cans roasted/diced tomato
Chicken or vegetable stock (enough to make it wet, but not soupy)

1 lb mussels - prep
1 lb large uncooked shrimp
1 pound langostinos/lobster or Dungeness crab clusters
1 lb clams (Cherry Stones are nice)
1 lb white fish (cod, tilapia, or whatever) cut into chunks

In hot oil overmedium heat, saute onions, fennel, and shallots until the onions are clear
Add garlic and saute 2 minutes (don't burn the garlic!)
Add tomato paste and canned tomatoes including juice
Add stock and crushed red pepper
Cover, drop heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes

Prep proteins - clean, debeard, devein, etc.

Increase heat just a tad - medium low

Add clams and mussels. Cover and cook until clams and mussels begin to open - about 5 minutes
Add shrimp, langostinos, lobster, or crab, and fish
Simmer until the fish and shrimp are cooked through and the mussels and clams are completely open - about 5 minutes

If clams or mussels don't open, THROW AWAY!!!

Salt and pepper to taste and serve with some crusty french bread.  Enjoy!

Sorry for the crappy pic - seems like all you can see is shrimp and empty mussel shells, but I assure you, it's all in there!  Guess I needed one of those wide shallow soup bowls for the pic.

My wife and I make something very similar except we usually add some coconut milk :drool:
Don't wait until it's too late to live your dream!

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 02:17:10 PM »
I seen something today that looked really good..

The guy wrapped corn on the cob with bacon and grilled it.  The bacon got crisp and there were grill marks on the corn kernels..   made my mouth water.  :)

WW.

Offline werewolf won

• Water Stone
  • TANSTAAFL
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013, 02:40:58 PM »
I make a thing called road kill chicken.  I start with a whole chicken and debone it and put it between two sheets of wax paper and beat it with a meat tenderizer hammer to about an inch thick.
I use a dry rub of cayenne pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, white and black pepper, salt and sugar.
Grill it such that it gets some nice black grill marks and tell the dinner guests those are from the tire treads :D
I'll be a story in your head, but that's OK we're all stories in the end.  Just make it a good one!

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2013, 04:01:03 PM »
Too bad ya don't have a little branding iron that says "Firestone" or "Goodyear."   ;)

Sounds tasty, ww1!  :thumbsup:

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2013, 04:05:55 PM »
I make a thing called road kill chicken.  I start with a whole chicken and debone it and put it between two sheets of wax paper and beat it with a meat tenderizer hammer to about an inch thick.
I use a dry rub of cayenne pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, white and black pepper, salt and sugar.
Grill it such that it gets some nice black grill marks and tell the dinner guests those are from the tire treads :D

Now that's funny,  tread marks are a great conversation starter I would guess.   :)

I've never tried to debone a whole chicken while trying to keep the flesh and skin intact,  I've seen it done a couple of times on cooking shows,  but never actually learned how it's done.    :doh:

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2013, 08:06:38 PM »
I LOVE that road kill chicken idea..!!    I'm so going to buy a big ol' chicken and try that with company coming next week.   *evil grin*

Is this way of doing a chicken called 'spatchcock' or something like that?  Except yours will be called 'smashcock chicken '...  :rofl:

WW.

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2013, 10:41:22 PM »
Guys,
One of the fellas on the F-book "Camp Red" page (Filipino Bushcraft group) mentioned a rather neat method of cooking chicken, pork, whatever.

You skewer your chicken on a stick and drive the stick into the ground. Then you stuff the open end with onions, garlic, peppers, whatever.

You cover it with a large tin can (probably like a #10 food service can) and you pile very dry leaves and sticks over it and light the pile on fire.

In 10 minutes or so you will have a beautifully roasted piece of meat.

Hope someone gets to try this out soon! If ya'll don't, I will in the fall if I manage to snag a better job :)

PMZ
"Nancy, you're me darlin, I loves ye all to bits! I'll climb up to your chamber, and under your mountainous...."

Offline werewolf won

• Water Stone
  • TANSTAAFL
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2013, 06:04:55 AM »
I missed the most important ingredient in the rub.....lots of paprika!  Between the red color it imparts to the meat,the black grill marks and being flattened it really does look like a road killed carcass.

Yes a tread or makers mark iron would be a great addition to the presentation.
I'll be a story in your head, but that's OK we're all stories in the end.  Just make it a good one!

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2013, 09:09:37 PM »
I've not tried this recipe, but good golly Miss Molly, it sounds wonderful to me and I will try it soon.  If someone tries it before me or has done something like it, please share!

Grilled Cabbage

Ingredients
o   1 head cabbage
o   4 teaspoons butter
o   4 slices bacon
Spice mix
o   1 teaspoon salt
o   1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
o   1/4 teaspoon pepper
o   2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Directions
1.   Cut cabbage into four wedges.
2.   Place each wedge on a piece of doubled heavy-duty aluminum foil.
3.   Spread cut sides with butter.
4.   Mix spices together in a small container and sprinkle all of the mixture equally over each wedge.
5.   Wrap bacon around each wedge.
6.   Fold foil around cabbage, sealing each wedge tightly.
7.   Grill cabbage, covered, over medium heat for 40 minutes or until the cabbage is tender, turning twice.

I'll probably use two pieces of thick cut, hickory smoked bacon per wedge instead of just one slice of bacon.  Gotta love some pork!

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2013, 09:29:32 PM »
I've not tried this recipe, but good golly Miss Molly, it sounds wonderful to me and I will try it soon.  If someone tries it before me or has done something like it, please share!

Grilled Cabbage

Ingredients
o   1 head cabbage
o   4 teaspoons butter
o   4 slices bacon
Spice mix
o   1 teaspoon salt
o   1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
o   1/4 teaspoon pepper
o   2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Directions
1.   Cut cabbage into four wedges.
2.   Place each wedge on a piece of doubled heavy-duty aluminum foil.
3.   Spread cut sides with butter.
4.   Mix spices together in a small container and sprinkle all of the mixture equally over each wedge.
5.   Wrap bacon around each wedge.
6.   Fold foil around cabbage, sealing each wedge tightly.
7.   Grill cabbage, covered, over medium heat for 40 minutes or until the cabbage is tender, turning twice.

I'll probably use two pieces of thick cut, hickory smoked bacon per wedge instead of just one slice of bacon.  Gotta love some pork!

I love cabbage, can't do this up this week, but this will be done soon...and with pics!  :drool:
"big fish like to live in bad places, that's how they get to be big fish"

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2013, 09:48:06 PM »
I do a quick stir fry thing with cabbage in bacon grease. :)   I'll never boil cabbage again.. the frying makes it sooo much better.  :)   Now to try it on the grill. 

WW.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2013, 10:01:22 PM »
I'm a huge fan of cabbage no matter how its cooked :drool:

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2013, 02:06:20 PM »
I do a quick stir fry thing with cabbage in bacon grease. :)   I'll never boil cabbage again.. the frying makes it sooo much better.  :)   Now to try it on the grill. 

WW.

I love cabbage also,  I even put it in my beef stew,  love it fried with bacon,  but steamed and served up with butter and salt & pepper is still my favorite.   
                                                                             :drool:

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2013, 02:46:30 PM »
OH yes, all stews need a cabbage flavor.  I didn't have cabbage on hand once so I chopped up a few brussels just to get that flavor in it.  That worked nicely too.  And oh..try roasting brussels until they get this dark roast marks on them once.. totally different animal from steaming them. As Anubis would say.. nom nom. 

WW.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2013, 06:10:29 PM »
  And oh..try roasting brussels until they get this dark roast marks on them once.. totally different animal from steaming them. As Anubis would say.. nom nom. 
WW.

All for you Marcia  >:D...I used to be a lifelong brussel sprout HATER, until I tried chef buck's version here.

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2013, 06:24:27 PM »
Aww man.. I can't watch it with firefox.  It says I need a plug in.   :-\    I'm sorry.  Darn dial-up.

WW.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2013, 06:07:21 AM »
The cabbage was delicious!  Had some friends over last night and told them what I was trying for the first time and they were my guinea pigs.  Mike informed me that he didn't like cooked cabbage of any kind, but even he ate it and proclaimed it good.  About the only thing I would do differently is make smaller wedges - say six instead of four unless the head of cabbage was really small.

Offline Bearhunter

• Water Stone
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2013, 07:22:12 AM »
The cabbage was delicious!  Had some friends over last night and told them what I was trying for the first time and they were my guinea pigs.  Mike informed me that he didn't like cooked cabbage of any kind, but even he ate it and proclaimed it good.  About the only thing I would do differently is make smaller wedges - say six instead of four unless the head of cabbage was really small.

Looks good to me :drool:

I'd tell your friend Mike that if he didn't like it then he should eat s$&t or go to McDonald's... There's not much difference as far as in concerned :puke:

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2013, 07:54:50 AM »
Hey..we have the same plates!  :)    It sure looks good!  Smaller wedges would work better I'd think.. then the bacon grease can really sneak in between the layers.  nom.

About how long did you have it on the grill?

WW.

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2013, 09:51:10 AM »

LOL...There you go, if a guy who didn't like cooked cabbage likes it...it's got to be good. 8)

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2013, 11:17:32 AM »

About how long did you have it on the grill?

WW.

The recipe calls for 40 minutes, but I had it on closer to 50.  In between corn in the husk on the charcoal grill, the cabbage and the flat iron steak on the gas grill, and trying not to burn anything, my timing got a little off on the cabbage, but it sure didn't seem to hurt it any that I could tell.

Offline Anubis1335

• Whetstone +
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2013, 12:06:15 AM »
Ive been covered up lately w a new job. 

But....

THIS PLACE RESERVED FOR PORKILICIOUS AWESOMENESS
OINK!

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2013, 04:40:49 PM »
:D

Anubis is back! :D

PMZ
"Nancy, you're me darlin, I loves ye all to bits! I'll climb up to your chamber, and under your mountainous...."

Offline zammer

• Water Stone
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2013, 05:26:22 PM »
And here she be boys............... .............cut into quarters and rubbed with butter, then seasoned with a little salt/pepper then a quarter onion laid on top of the cabbage with the bacon wrapped over the top..........

Mmmm Mmmm good....we didn't try it this time but you could do up a batch of rice then lay the cabbage quarter and bacon on top in a bowl, would be a cheap way to feed 4 peeps, otherwise the 4 quarters feeds 2 people really well, thanks for the recipe Imnukensc.  :drool:

Offline WoodsWoman

• Diamond Stone
  • Minnesota
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2013, 08:55:24 PM »
**writes cabbage head and bacon on my grocery list **  :)    Lordy that looks good.   

Thanks guys for giving us something new to try. :)  I might even try bacon wrapped brussels. :)

WW.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2013, 09:11:51 PM »
That's a GOOD idea, WW......I'm going to try some of those, too! O:-)
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Anubis1335

• Whetstone +
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2013, 05:56:11 PM »
Everythings better with bacon.  I happen to like cabbage but putting a few pieces of bacon in the mix never hurt anyone...especially me.  ;).  See sig line below
OINK!

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2013, 10:28:33 PM »
I made a smoothie last night that was sheer awesomeness in a cup.

It was as follows:

1 food processor (for blending)
4 bananas or so, chunked
1 small container of strawberry-banana yogurt
Maybe a tablespoon or two of frozen blueberries
Several ice cubes
A splash of milk.

Pulse it till the ice is mostly crushed and then turn it on low for a couple of minutes.

PMZ

Offline Trekster

• Whetstone +
  • Antiquated Youngling
    • Berserker's Bushcraft
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2013, 10:30:19 PM »
Tonight maybe I'm going to make some "chocolate mint banana ice cream" by putting chocolate mint leaves in the food processor with frozen banana chunks and blending it for awhile. Chocolate mint is a specific cultivar of peppermint that tastes and smells like Andes mints. It used to be used in candymaking. Might still be, dunno.

Sounds good.

PMZ

Offline Gryphon

• Water Stone
  • Hey y'all, watch this!
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2013, 08:43:21 PM »
I do wing sauce two ways: Cattleman's bbq sauce (Wife loves that one) and various flavors Cholula hot sauce with a bit of melted butter.  Chilie Lime is really good, so is chipotle.    I'll use Franks Red Hot, but I like the flavor depth of Cholula better.
Jontok Bushy Class Approved!