Author Topic: More Salad  (Read 5719 times)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
More Salad
« on: June 26, 2014, 09:33:43 AM »

Nuk has a new thread going featuring bacon salad,  not wanting to hijack his thread I thought he had an excellent idea,  I don't remember seeing very many (if any) threads on Salad Recipes.

The wife and I are big Salad eaters,  the older one gets the more conscious one has to be about what they eat,  we even make our own "healthy" dressings now days and enjoy our salads even more.

So,  how about it folks,  do any of you have a favorite recipes that you'd like to share ?

In our house we tend to keep it pretty simple,  it's usually Iceberg or Romaine,  sliced cukes,  red onion slices,  tomato,  some bits of extra sharp Cheddar,  seasoned salt and fresh ground pepper,  sometimes a few garlic & herb croutons on top.
  For dressing it depends on the mood,  home made Ranch or Blue Cheese is good,  oil & vinegar,  my wife likes a healthy splash of light olive oil topped with seasoned salt and pepper,  and occasionally I make a dressing of V-8 juice,  a sprinkle of Italian seasonings, and a dash of light olive oil.
  As a meal instead of just a side we enjoy a Caesar type salad with grilled chicken,  or a steak salad with Romaine,  Blue Cheese dressing,  and sliced marinated steak tips.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
  • "I have an opinion about that...."
Re: More Salad
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 09:59:25 AM »
Timely thread!  Great minds think alike.  With the garden (and other stuff) growing now, we've been gathering salad greens daily.

The grilled chicken (or pan fried) is our favorite addition.

Our typical salad now is a mix of:

Kale
Swiss Chard
Sorrel
Mustard greens (a type grown for its leaves, not seed)
Spinach
Bib lettuce
Just enough Romain from the store to add some volume

Occasionally we'll throw in some Chickweed and Purslane

Night before last we garnished the salad with Nasturtium blossoms. Nice sweet, nutty addition.

We make our own Ranch dressing, and another favorite is a simple 'thousand islands' dressing just made like McDonald's 'secret sauce': ketchup, mayo, and dejon mustard with a little sweet relish for texture.

Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 10:06:46 AM »
The bacon salad thing was just to give folks a grin, Moe, but this thread you've started will hopefully give folks some ideas.  There's not much I can think of that we don't like in a salad so it can be as simple as a wedge of Iceberg with some dressing to the whole kitchen sink kinda thing except we don't put meat in them except for bacon, of course.  We also like a pasta salad occasionally which pretty much comes out of a box, but then we'll doctor it up with bell pepper, black and green olives, onions, tomatoes, etc.  Liz makes a killer red wine vinaigrette dressing, but all the rest of our dressings are pretty much the grocery store kind.  I've got a couple of salad recipes I'll post here in a bit.  Hopefully I have them on the 'puter and don't have to type them all out.  Here's a real simple one though:

Tomatoes - large chunks/cubes
Cucumber - slices
Sweet onion like Vidalia - sliced
Italian dressing or vinaigrette of your choice   
The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 10:46:39 AM »
What we usually do, especially when the kids are home and tastes vary, is to have garnishments on the side.
After the greens are torn/cut and tossed, we'll have small bowls of cubed tomato, chopped hard boiled egg, cubed red & green peppers, and bacon bits. That way everyone can 'build their own'.

The two things I forgot in my last post was green onion (scallions) and sliced radishes when we have them.
Don't bother walking a mile in my shoes. That would be boring. Try spending 30 seconds in my head. That will freak you right out!!

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 10:50:26 AM »

Another salad that we enjoy is Mandarin orange & Spinach with our own Balsamic vinaigrette.

I mix the dressing by eyeballing the ingredients,  so if you want to try it you'll have to experiment with the amounts to get it to your taste.

The basic recipe is --- about 2- ounces of Balsamic vinegar.
                                           1- Tbsp. of yellow mustard or Dijon.
                                           2- Tbsp. of Honey.
                                           1- Garlic clove (minced).
                                           Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste.
                                           2 ~ 3- ounces of light olive oil.

** I put all the ingredients in a pint mason jar and give it a good shake to make sure that it's mixed well and doesn't separate,  then let the flavors blend for an hour or more before using.

This dressing actually goes well with almost any salad,  it's an excellent marinade for chicken and pork also,  and as a good steak sauce as well.

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 10:58:24 AM »
I don't have a recipes to share but that Wendy's Strawberry Fields Chicken salad is amazingly good.  It has more strawberries than what you would expect.  I have never had that apple vinaigrette dressing before and it is very good.  Two thumbs up from me. 

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 11:06:04 AM »

Another salad that we enjoy is Mandarin orange & Spinach with our own Balsamic vinaigrette.

I mix the dressing by eyeballing the ingredients,  so if you want to try it you'll have to experiment with the amounts to get it to your taste.

2- Tbsp. of Honey.

** I put all the ingredients in a pint mason jar and give it a good shake to make sure that it's mixed well and doesn't separate,  then let the flavors blend for an hour or more before using.

This dressing actually goes well with almost any salad,  it's an excellent marinade for chicken and pork also,  and as a good steak sauce as well.

I think balsamic vinegar is an acquired taste. ;)  My wife uses it in marinades and some other dishes, but in your recipe I'd be using closer to 2 teaspoons than 2 ounces!
It's way down my list of stuff to put on my food, right below Tabasco sauce. :D

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 11:08:09 AM »
I don't have a recipes to share but that Wendy's Strawberry Fields Chicken salad is amazingly good.  It has more strawberries than what you would expect.  I have never had that apple vinaigrette dressing before and it is very good.  Two thumbs up from me.

Never had it,  but strawberries and chicken is an intriguing combination,  what else is in the salad ?

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 11:21:01 AM »
We've been talking mainly about green salads, but someone brought up pasta salads.

I got a basic recipe from one of the Trustees in our jail that has since become my signature dish.

GARLIC-DILL PASTA SALAD

Package of Garden Rotini (mulicolored) cooked al dente.
Enough mayo to coat.
Generous amount of coarse ground black pepper
Pinch or two of salt (diners can add more to taste upon serving)
2-3 tsp of granulated (dry) garlic.
2 or 3 generous Tablespoons of dill relish.

That's it!  (All proportions can be adjusted to taste. I'm like Moe, i don't measure anything critically.)

If I really want to dress it up, I'll had a small handful of sliced black olives.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 11:27:31 AM »

2- Tbsp. of Honey.

I think balsamic vinegar is an acquired taste. ;)  My wife uses it in marinades and some other dishes, but in your recipe I'd be using closer to 2 teaspoons than 2 ounces!
It's way down my list of stuff to put on my food, right below Tabasco sauce. :D

OK,  but there's something a lot of people don't know about Balsamic vinegar,  generally balsamic that you buy at the super market is a blend of white vinegar and red wine extract,  it's kind of like immitation vanilla extract,  something like it but not quite.    :)
  Real Balsamic starts out life as a rich red wine,  it's allowed to go to vinegar,  then it's aged,  bottled, and aged again for anywhere from 12 years to a hundred or more years,  Store bought balsamic tastes like watered down vinegar with a hint of red wine taste,  Real balsamic is heavy,  almost syrup like,  it's very mild,  and it's flavor is on the sweet side,  it's so good a lot of people use it as a dipping sauce for crusty bread.
  When a recipe calls for balsamic,  for example,  I make oven roasted root veggies,  the recipe calls for a variety of root veggies,  a drizzle of balsamic,  a drizzle of light olive oil,  and a dusting of sea salt,  mix it up,  spread it out on a shallow baking pan and roast in a 400*F. oven for about 30 minutes or more until the veggies are eldentee and the balsamic has turned to a glaze.
  Good eats,  but I use the cheap shelve brand balsamic,  I buy my real balsamic from an Italian deli that sells the real stuff imported from Italy,  I get it in a 6 oz. wire capped bottle that cost about $15.00,  but you don't need much usually,  and it's well worth the price. 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 11:44:42 AM by Moe M. »

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 11:49:08 AM »

OK,  but there's something a lot of people don't know about Balsamic vinegar,  generally balsamic that you buy at the super market is a blend of white vinegar and red wine extract,  it's kind of like immitation vanilla extract,  something like it but not quite.    :)
  Real Balsamic starts out life as a rich red wine,  it's allowed to go to vinegar,  then it's aged,  bottled, and ageed again for anywhere from 12 years to a hundred or more years,  Store bought balsamic tastes like watered down vinegar with a hint of red wine taste,  Real balsamic is heavy,  almost syrup like,  it's very mild,  and it's flavor is on the sweet side,  it's so good a lot of people use it as a dipping sauce for crusty bread....
  I get it in a 6 oz. wire capped bottle that cost about $15.00,  but you don't need much usually,  and it's well worth the price.
Thanks for that. I've never had the 'real' stuff, I guess. Even the stuff my wife gets in the gourmet section of the Natural Foods grocery store tastes like Worcestershire sauce cut with Agnostura Bitters.  Icky.....  But that's just me.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 12:18:11 PM »

OK,  but there's something a lot of people don't know about Balsamic vinegar,  generally balsamic that you buy at the super market is a blend of white vinegar and red wine extract,  it's kind of like imitation vanilla extract,  something like it but not quite.    :)
  Real Balsamic starts out life as a rich red wine,  it's allowed to go to vinegar,  then it's aged,  bottled, and aged again for anywhere from 12 years to a hundred or more years,  Store bought balsamic tastes like watered down vinegar with a hint of red wine taste,  Real balsamic is heavy,  almost syrup like,  it's very mild,  and it's flavor is on the sweet side,  it's so good a lot of people use it as a dipping sauce for crusty bread....
  I get it in a 6 oz. wire capped bottle that cost about $15.00,  but you don't need much usually,  and it's well worth the price.
Thanks for that. I've never had the 'real' stuff, I guess. Even the stuff my wife gets in the gourmet section of the Natural Foods grocery store tastes like Worcestershire sauce cut with Angostura Bitters.  Icky.....  But that's just me.

Personally I love the stuff,  I buy the expensive Balsamic for dressings and dips,  and use the cheaper stuff for marinades and cooking,  but I understand where you're coming from,  there's some things that we on an individual basis just can't get an appreciation for.
  For me, one of those things is Dill Weed,  I never used it much if ever,  then I found a recipe once for cucumber salad,  it called for course shredded cucumber,  sour cream,  salt, pepper,  and dried dill,  I made it and the wife and I really liked it,  so I made it several more times and the taste got old quick, I've tried it a couple more times since and for what ever the reason I just can't cotten up to the taste any more, maybe I was just using too much dill,  anyway,  it really doesn't tempt me to try it again.
  Although,  your recipe for Mac salad with dill does sound good,  so I may give that a try,  I'm not a big fan of cold pasta salad,  but my wife loves it,  so it might be worth the try.       :thumbsup:

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 12:29:25 PM »
...., maybe I was just using too much dill,  anyway,  it really doesn't tempt me to try it again.
  Although,  your recipe for Mac salad with dill does sound good,  so I may give that a try,  I'm not a big fan of cold pasta salad,  but my wife loves it,  so it might be worth the try.       :thumbsup:

It's easy to go overboard with dill weed. I will use that in the rotini recipe if I don't have dill relish, but it's a poor substitute. My kids love the salad with relish, but I get a lot of left overs with the dill weed.
You just have to use it sparingly. I like to put a smidgen in deviled eggs, too. ;)

If you like dill relish on burgers, or hot dogs, you'll like the salad. Just don't use sweet relish.  :puke: My wife makes a traditional macaroni salad with the tomatoes, olives, white onion, black beans, etc., and it's okay. But I like a pasta salad that's on the dry side, with extra salt and coarse pepper.

Your reference to cold pasta salad makes me wonder. Is there any other kind?  To me, hot pasta is a side dish, not a salad.

Offline imnukensc

• Water Stone
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 02:53:35 PM »
Here's a few salad recipes we like.  Not something we do every week of course, but when we want something a little special or different.

Creamy Parmesan Dressing
1/2 cup mayo
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup buttermilk (can substitute regular milk)
1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp minced fresh parsley
1/2 tsp lemon juice

Whisk all together and refrigerate until serving time to let flavors marry.  (We usually serve this over some chopped Romaine.)

Cucumbers and Onion
9 T mayo
6 T milk
3 T vinegar
1 t sugar
3/4 t salt
3 cucumbers ? sliced
1 Vidalia onion ? sliced

Mix first 5 ingredients until smooth.  Pour over cucumbers and onion.

Tomato/Onion Appetizer
Beef Steak tomato - thick sliced
Red onion - thin sliced
Crumbled blue cheese or gorgonzola
Vinaigrette of choice

Place thinly sliced red onion between slices of tomato.  Sprinkle crumbled cheese on top.  Dress with vinaigrette.

Cajun Coleslaw
2 C shredded white cabbage
2 C shredded red cabbage
2 C baby spinach
1 C thinly sliced red onion
1 C chopped green onion (tops only)
1/2 C chopped parsley
3/4 C olive oil
1/4 C rice wine vinegar
2 t sugar
1/2 C whole grain mustard
1 t minced garlic
1 t salt
1/2 t fresh ground pepper
1/4 t cayenne

Place all greens in a large bowl and mix well.  Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, sugar, mustard, garlic, salt, pepper, and cayenne.  Pour over greens and toss to mix thoroughly.  Refrigerate for at least one hour.  Serve chilled.  (This will feed a bunch of folks.  Best made for a large crowd, but man is it good!)

The universe is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 06:24:51 PM »

Never had it,  but strawberries and chicken is an intriguing combination,  what else is in the salad ?

A variety of greens.  Not your standard iceberg lettuces salad.  Blue cheese crumbles, sunflower seeds, and onions.  Really good stuff.  The apple vinaigrette dressing is very good.  Oh and bacon.  Really very good for fast food.   

Offline Draco

• Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2014, 06:29:14 PM »

Personally I love the stuff,  I buy the expensive Balsamic for dressings and dips,  and use the cheaper stuff for marinades and cooking,  but I understand where you're coming from,  there's some things that we on an individual basis just can't get an appreciation for.

I love balsamic vinegar.  I don't do as fancy a dressing as you.  I just mix 50/50 balsamic and olive oil.  If I see a dish made with balsamic at a restaurant I normally order it. 

Feta cheese is also a favorite of mine that is an acquired taste. 

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2014, 07:48:07 PM »

I love balsamic vinegar.  I don't do as fancy a dressing as you.  I just mix 50/50 balsamic and olive oil.  If I see a dish made with balsamic at a restaurant I normally order it. 

Feta cheese is also a favorite of mine that is an acquired taste.

Try my recipe,  I doubt you will be disappointed.   

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 05:37:12 AM »
salad greens are great, as a base for some meat!

Offline Old Philosopher

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 01:04:31 PM »
Agreed! Last night's dinner was a huge Chef's Salad topped with crisp chicken breast pieces breaded with panko.