Author Topic: BRRRRR!  (Read 103902 times)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
Re: BRRRRR!
« Reply #650 on: February 06, 2021, 11:34:43 AM »
A balmy 1 F this morning with about an inch of snow.  No wind so it was tolerable.  We are looking at at least an entire week of single digit highs and below zero lows with 1-3" of snow in tonights forecast.  We need the moisture but these snows won't provide much.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #651 on: February 06, 2021, 12:33:11 PM »
I feel fortunate that our temperature is a bit more moderate at 7* ....it comes with a little less than 1'' of new snow, but at least the winds have calmed from yesterday's 30+mph blasts.  Single-digit highs & some double-digit lows all this week and predicted daily snowfalls that should accumulate to a total of around 4-5''.....not too bad. :coffee:
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 01:32:22 PM by wolfy »
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #652 on: February 06, 2021, 01:13:53 PM »
Well, as I have read, Nebraska is not too bad.  I have to go to Spearfish at 4:00 PM and have been hoping they would cancel the event. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #653 on: February 07, 2021, 07:29:52 PM »
It is a -11  at present.  They said earlier it was only going to a -8. 

I saw that it snowed in South Carolina.  Winter is here but it came all at once.   :P
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #654 on: February 07, 2021, 07:42:41 PM »
+1* here & snowing a little, but they're saying it'll be -8* overnight.....so about the same as western SD.  We've had a relatively mild winter up until this last week when things started getting brutal....it will get worse this week with single digit highs and double digit lows.  February sucks! >:(

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #655 on: February 07, 2021, 10:23:01 PM »
Well misery loves company so we are tight.   :-X
(Mark Twain)

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #656 on: February 08, 2021, 12:23:11 AM »
+1 degree right now, supposed to get some cold weather moving in as the week progresses.  I don't think we've got under zero yet this year so I can't complain too much.  Probably got a foot of snow over the last week but only 4" at a time so not a big deal.  Hopefully we do end up getting a foot or more up high as the snowpack is pretty feeble.  It's gonna be a dry summer if we don't build that snowpack! :-\

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #657 on: February 08, 2021, 02:06:48 AM »
   We're at -22oF headed down to a -27. Tomorrow we'll warm all the way up to a -10o. Whoopee.
Electric furnace dropped out an element or two Saturday afternoon, so we're running on a fuel oil backup furnace. Still nice and toasty in the house.  I'll call around tomorrow and see if anyone has parts. How is it that these things break down on the weekend when no one is open? Is that part of Murphy's law too?
   The vehicles have a block heater. It's a 600 watt electric heater that is installed in place of one of the freeze plugs on the side of an engine block. I plug it in when the temp drops below -10. Just to ensure the pickup will start in the event of an emergency. There ain't no walking a half mile to the neighbors in this weather in case of a house fire and all you got on is your PJ's.
   Wind out of the West at 10 mph pushes the feel like temperature down to -43. No livestock, so I'm not going outside. Pity the critters that are out in this cold though. Sure doesn't take the dog long to do his business in weather like this.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #658 on: February 08, 2021, 07:52:04 AM »
Craig they missed our temperature by a lot.  It was -20 at 7:00 AM and there is no wind right now.  Stock water tank is open, thankfully.

It is clear at present and should get up to about +8 if the forecast is right.  It also says that Thursday through Saturday of this week the daily lows will be in the teens every night.   :'(

(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #659 on: February 08, 2021, 08:19:12 AM »
Thankfully, the weather dude pretty much nailed it here....-11* early this morning, but it has warmed up to -8* presently.   It's not going to be much different all week, they're saying.  Usually we get what Stan gets a day or two later, but this time we're gettin' a break....I HOPE!

EDIT:  I just checked and we are supposed to get a low of -21* next Saturday night.....this 'polar vortex' is one of those deals that doesn't move very fast, which explains the lag time in our weather, compared to Stan's.  I thought we were going to escape most of it....I was wrong. :doh:
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 08:34:03 AM by wolfy »

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #660 on: February 08, 2021, 09:02:50 AM »
I don't mind a day or two of extreme cold but when it hangs around like some in-law you don't care much about then it gets to be a problem.  My animals have adequate shelter from the wind and snow and I can put them in the barn at times.  The only troublesome problem is when the temperature stays down for a week the water meter freezes even though it is in an 8' deep concrete pit.  That happened two years ago.  There is no power in the pit so you have to either put a propane heater in there or sit down in it with a heat gun running off of the portable generator. 

This thing is supposed to go on for awhile.   :P
(Mark Twain)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #661 on: February 11, 2021, 05:55:52 PM »
It is currently -8F and a bit windy.  Colder than that well digger we hear about from time to time.  We are headed for a -14F tonight and then low of -22,-20, and -18F the next three days.

Arizona is looking more like a good place to be.   :(
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #662 on: February 11, 2021, 06:04:21 PM »
My renter is spending the winter down in Kingsland, TX....he just texted and reported that they are in the middle of a winter storm alert....the ice is already breaking so many tree limbs that he had to move his vehicle over to his neighbor's place for tonight.  :coffee:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #663 on: February 11, 2021, 07:09:24 PM »
I guess around Ft. Worth they had a highway disaster.  Killed 6 and 130 cars or so were involved.   :P
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #664 on: February 11, 2021, 07:46:26 PM »
I saw that on the national news tonight....fully airborne FedEx semi-trailer rigs coming down on bunches of cars.  That's what I feared most down there.  Texans driving at normal highway speeds on an obvious glare of ice.....unbelievabl e!

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #665 on: February 12, 2021, 04:34:05 AM »
85 here yesterday.

I watched vids of that pile up in Texas.  They could obviously see the wrecks, but had no ability to stop.

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #666 on: February 12, 2021, 09:50:54 PM »
It's supposed to be around -20 F tonight.  We'll see!  I've got a 3 day weekend kicking off and really nothing to do. :-\  Not feeling a solo trip at negative 20! ;)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #667 on: February 13, 2021, 10:24:55 AM »
We were -18 at 4:30 AM and it is still below zero at this time.  Forecast is two more days near -20 and then it starts to creep back up. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #668 on: February 14, 2021, 08:35:08 AM »
6:00 AM this morning it was -26F  ......... but no wind.  So far the stock water tank has stayed unfrozen and the meter pit down at the county road has continued to allow a flow through the meter.  Truck and SUV start.  Bobcat is dead to the world and I haven't tried the tractor or the ATV.

Power has stayed on through this whole cold snap and for that I am thankful.  Forecast is a -15F tonight and then a very gradual warming with high temps in the teens, then twenties, then low thirties and lows for Monday through Friday from a -3 to +24 by Saturday.  I don't recall this kind of low temps in the last twenty years.  Hope we have a warmer March.   :P
(Mark Twain)

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #669 on: February 14, 2021, 11:18:10 AM »
Yesterday we hit -35oF, wind chill at -57F.
Today we were at -29F, wind chill at -48F. At Noon, we are still at -20F. 
So we're on the way up. The weather service says, by this time next week we'll be at +30oF. Sixty five degree swing in a week.

Yesterday, Josh Duhamel did a polar bear plunge fund raiser for the Detroit Lakes Boys and Girls Club. https://www.bgcdl.org/polar-fest-plunge-2021.html
The trick is the Sauna. Your so hot when you leave the sauna, the ice water dip actually feels pretty good. For a few seconds.  :banana:

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #670 on: February 15, 2021, 03:16:49 PM »
And just like that it's +23 today!  Nice change from -17 F on Saturday.  We should be up to 30 tomorrow.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #671 on: February 15, 2021, 03:34:20 PM »
We beat another record for a low temperature set on this date in 1936 by 8*.....-31* this morning.  Same for tomorrow they're saying.....then it warms up the next day to -6*  :banana:

I was just listening to the local news/weather....we were warned to expect rolling blackouts here in eastern Nebraska for today, tonight and tomorrow.   So far, it's not too bad. :shrug:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 04:15:29 PM by wolfy »

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #672 on: February 15, 2021, 04:28:30 PM »
We were only -23 this morning so their forecast of a minus 15 sucked.  It did get to a +7 if the thermometer is accurate.  Minus 15 tonight and then in a week we are supposed to have one low temp of 33 F.  I can hardly wait for that.

We become used to the cold rather quickly but not to the bite it has when the wind is up.  Hope your power stays on Craig.
(Mark Twain)

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #673 on: February 15, 2021, 06:57:32 PM »
72 today.  Hope we can get a little cooler for a while.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #674 on: February 15, 2021, 08:02:34 PM »

What an :doh: :lol:

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #675 on: February 15, 2021, 11:06:01 PM »
I made a quick run to the grocery store today, wore shorts!  23 is shorts weather in Montana! :D  Well, at least it is after -20 weather. ;)

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #676 on: February 16, 2021, 04:28:55 AM »

What an :doh: :lol:

I can't believe that the forum software edited out "wonderful guy".  We might need to talk to the software developers about that. :rofl:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #677 on: February 16, 2021, 09:08:32 AM »
When I went to bed last night it was a minus 8 and on arising this morn it was a minus 4.  Walking out to check the stock tank in the corral I was overjoyed that the temperature was 22 degrees higher that yesterday and that the wind had died off.  Amazing what a body gets used to in three weeks.  Wore my wool jacket too, not the arctic parka I usually do.  Spring must surely be just around the corner.   8)
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #678 on: February 16, 2021, 09:22:26 AM »
When I checked our thermometer at 5:00 AM, it read -28*.....an improvement of 3* for the same time yesterday.  :thumbsup:      Things are lookin' up, but not enough to consider a bike ride yet. :-\

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #679 on: February 16, 2021, 09:34:22 AM »
Not sure Big Blue would start either????   :shocked:
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #680 on: February 16, 2021, 09:54:05 AM »
Not sure Big Blue would start either????   :shocked:

With 20W-50 in her belly, I don't think Scarlett would, either.........and I don't care! :coffee:

Online madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #681 on: February 16, 2021, 12:38:57 PM »
Looking forward to the near future weather...

I might have to put long pants on.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #682 on: February 16, 2021, 12:54:50 PM »
Looking forward to the near future weather...

I might have to put long pants on.

In almost all ways, that would be a blessing! :cheers:

There's a guy here in town that wears a pair of cutoff bibs when he's out fishing in his johnboat.  I've seen it........but, I wish I hadn't! :-\

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #683 on: February 16, 2021, 01:01:46 PM »
We might get to 40 F next tuesday.  It is very much like waiting for Christmas to arrive when you are ten years old.
(Mark Twain)

Online madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #684 on: February 16, 2021, 01:06:10 PM »
Oh,  there's a Kracaneuner tale of a newb floating down the river on his first trip.  We ran into some locals adorned with camo cutoff bibs.  I think he pooped his pants.  There were guns.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #685 on: February 16, 2021, 01:17:31 PM »
Earlier today wolfy mentioned the grid has to send power to them Texas folks.  About a half an hour after that, at 9:50 AM MST we had a power outage.  Normally it is out from 1 to 24 hours depending on what happened.  In a major storm it can be out a week or more.

This outage was called by a phone call from the people who make grid decisions and they said the power system we are on had to immediately shut down and reconfigure to draw power from where it was more abundant than where they had been getting it.  That means they can send more to Texas.  Of course I didn't know any of this so I assumed it was going to be out for a time so I first stocked firewood into the house and then got my "lay on the ground" clothing to shut down the stock tank outfit on. 

We had been off for twenty minutes and I was heading out the door, my wife said she would check the barn, and before she could get her stuff on the power came back on.  Twenty five minutes to change the local grid to another configuration.  It was a relief.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 03:37:20 PM by wsdstan »
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #686 on: February 16, 2021, 02:22:54 PM »
That's exactly what we've been hearing here.....generally, power on a controlled, but interrupted  basis.  Some outages are to be expected, but only for a half hour at a time.  We have not had any outages....yet.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #687 on: June 04, 2021, 10:51:11 AM »
Well this ain't Brrrrr! but it is 108 F at the moment out here.  You don't wanna be a black angus cow today.

(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #688 on: June 04, 2021, 01:56:02 PM »
Holy Carp.....looks like Texas temperatures, but they are actually cooler in San Antonio than we are here in Nebraska today.   It's not supposed to get out of the mid to upper 90s for at least a week here in northeast Nebraska....it's dry, too.  We need rain!

To top it all off, I have a Dutch oven demonstration scheduled for the Farmer's Market tomorrow.  I may not survive! :shrug:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #689 on: June 04, 2021, 02:49:17 PM »
I was in the shop loading the motorcycle bags and making sure I had the basic tools.  I went out and sat on the ATV seat (black) and had to stand up while riding to the mail box. 

Just checked and it has dropped to 99.  I am glad of that.
(Mark Twain)

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #690 on: June 08, 2021, 06:15:27 AM »
no more brrrrrrrrrrrr here in North Florida or awhile.  73 for the low, 93 for the high.  Humidity was 90% for part of the day.  You can sweat in the shower.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #691 on: June 08, 2021, 06:44:31 AM »
Sweating in the shower is not on my list of things to do.   :-X
(Mark Twain)

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #692 on: June 08, 2021, 08:39:08 AM »
I would imagine that would depend on what you are doing in the shower. :shrug:  Of course, at most of our ages just getting into the shower is reward enough. :lol:

Offline windy

• Mill File+
« Reply #693 on: June 10, 2021, 11:13:43 AM »
Yup!  Here, we're settling in fer a week or so of colder and wetter; more like what "the great northwet" seems famous for.  Lord knows we need the moisture; gittin' purty dry in our thick, thick woods!
windy

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #694 on: June 10, 2021, 12:30:50 PM »
We are dry here and we get just enough rain to raise hope and then the wind takes it away.
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #695 on: June 10, 2021, 02:19:52 PM »
The corn is starting to look pretty sick.  Even the irrigated corn shows signs of stress during the day and it's pretty hard for the pivots to keep up in this kind of weather.  I just returned from a tour of the farm and a stop at the grocery store....windy & 100* @3:00.  We are under a heat advisory with the possibility of a severe storm tonite and tomorrow morning....at this point, even that would provide some respite from the heat, but it's back up into the mid 90s for tomorrow afternoon and for at least the next 9 days.  It's too early in the season for weather like this.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #696 on: June 10, 2021, 03:13:21 PM »
They are calling for some rain tonight and a lot of wind tomorrow Wolfy.  Our first cut of alfalfa would not pay for the fuel to run the swather, rake, and baler. 

101 here at the moment; 3:10 pm.
(Mark Twain)