Author Topic: BRRRRR!  (Read 110072 times)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
Re: BRRRRR!
« Reply #700 on: October 14, 2021, 06:38:35 AM »

I woke up yesterday morning to a light frost on the front lawn,  does that count ?   :shrug:
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #701 on: October 14, 2021, 05:35:44 PM »
First snow of the year yesterday and continuing today.  I am guessing about 7 to 8" at our place right now.  Higher wind today, some tree branches are laying on my deck rails and I heard one hit early this morning.  A no travel warning and city offices in the nearest town are closed.  Temp says it is 33 F  but it said that last night too. 

I wonder, at the moment, why I didn't put the snow blade on the skid loader?

We were in Custer for a few days (love the area) and we?re planning on heading west. The forecast looked serious, so we headed south. Will be in Texas a few days and figure out where to go next.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #702 on: October 14, 2021, 06:39:52 PM »
Crash you went the right direction.  They got 22" in Whitewood and Crook City area, about 18" in Spearfish.  Shut down travel in the area including the Black Hills. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #703 on: November 02, 2021, 11:32:33 AM »
Well fall took a hike and let winter peek in for a bit.  14 degrees at 6:45 AM this morning.  We have been waiting for a hard freeze to let the cows in on the alfalfa fields, guess we got it.  :-\
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #704 on: November 02, 2021, 01:00:39 PM »
14 is chilly. 

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #705 on: November 02, 2021, 07:13:09 PM »
Well fall took a hike and let winter peek in for a bit.  14 degrees at 6:45 AM this morning.  We have been waiting for a hard freeze to let the cows in on the alfalfa fields, guess we got it.  :-\

We got our first HARD freeze this morning.....18 degrees.  Thank goodness we didn't drop to the lows that Stan experienced this morning! :rofl:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #706 on: November 03, 2021, 02:16:53 PM »
 :-X  Yeah I'd feel bad for you if you got as cold as we were.   :cheers:
(Mark Twain)

Offline hayshaker

• Water Stone
« Reply #707 on: November 04, 2021, 10:18:28 AM »
oh boy am i next sure hope not. gird up thy loins and get that firewood put by

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #708 on: November 17, 2021, 08:08:55 AM »
Wow.  I had to put on my fuzzy slippers this morning.  But it'll be 81 today.  We might go down to Kelly's sister's river house on the Rainbow River and SUP.

You hard core can have those ice storms.  Been there.  Down that.  Won't do it again.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #709 on: November 17, 2021, 08:19:06 AM »
It was 30 F here at 6:00 AM.  Wind out of the NW at about 40 mph with gusts well over that.  If hell were a cold place it would be like this I think.

Wind should die down about 9:00 PM according to the prognosticators. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #710 on: November 17, 2021, 08:35:40 AM »
I remember trees exploding from the weight of the ice.  I remember the school bus just a leeeeeetle out of control on black ice.  I remember ice skating on the country road to my house.  I remember checking the trough heaters every morning so the livestock got their water.

I remember growing up knowing the tragedy of losing livestock to the cold and sickness.

I also remember White Christmas'  :)

Offline boomer

• Whetstone +
« Reply #711 on: November 17, 2021, 10:13:22 AM »
19F as the sun was starring to lighten the horizon but calm in the high desert valley at the Southern Rockies. About normal for this time of year.   Projected high in the low 60s and clear for today  Good morning to pull the rocker up to the wood stove. Life is good.

I remember ice skating on ponds and the reckless bravado that caused kids to dry out by the bonfire on the shore. Sledding on steep hills we iced down after a snow was a lot of fun even if kind of chancy.

Not much of either in the desert. Im good with that.

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #712 on: November 17, 2021, 12:14:53 PM »
We were elementary age when my brother(everybody hated) broke through  the ice.  We were not supervised. Which wasn't unusual back then.  But we were cub scouts.

Human chain and some very brave boys pulled off a save.  And my other brother saw him home  and the rest kept skating.  No big deal.  On Stingrays.

Hardy Boys, Huckleberry Finn, Tarzan,  .  We rocked the adventures.

Prove me wrong cell phoine kids.