Author Topic: Moe's camp and Colonial era gear.  (Read 307 times)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
Moe's camp and Colonial era gear.
« on: July 17, 2021, 09:34:46 PM »
I am posting these photos for Moe.  He sent me photos of his handiwork with flintlocks, leather bags, and related things like knife sheaths and  knives. 

I will post a new photo every so often as time allows.  Moe does some pretty impressive work, well worth a good look and ask a few questions should you have any.

These first photos show Moe and his wife's camp, and a few of his horns, a bag, hatchet, and related items like a powder measure and other shooting accessories.  The flintlock is one he made. 

Those of you who look closely will notice that some horns have untethered plugs while others are tethered with a leather thong.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Icepick15

• Whetstone +
Re: Moe's camp and Colonial era gear.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 01:16:41 PM »
Very nice indeed.
Retired LEO--40 years on the job
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 04:49:07 AM »
I don't own any "period" stuff, but I can sure appreciate the beauty and craftmanship that went in to that collection.

Offline boomer

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 09:40:12 AM »
I don't own any "period" stuff, but I can sure appreciate the beauty and craftmanship that went in to that collection.

Agree completely. Very well donr

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 06:17:49 PM »
Here are some of Moe's knives.  These would be home at any bush camp or reenactors setup.  I have one of Moe's sheaths for a Baby Bushcrafter we traded for and has worked well the last few years.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 04:29:05 AM »
Great looking pieces.

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 06:12:15 AM »
Here are some of Moe's knives.  These would be home at any bush camp or reenactors setup.  I have one of Moe's sheaths for a Baby Bushcrafter we traded for and has worked well the last few years.

The two bottom knives on the left, a Bowie and a scalping knife in the fringed sheath were gifted to members quite a while ago, the Bowie went to The Old Philosopher because he loved Bowie knives, and the Dadley styled Scalping knife and sheath went to wolfy who has an affection for Green River Dadley knives.   
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 07:50:27 AM »
Another photo group.  Here are four of Moe's bags with accessories.  Nice stuff I think.  I especially like the bag with the green hearts.

(Mark Twain)

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2021, 06:23:06 PM »
Another photo group.  Here are four of Moe's bags with accessories.  Nice stuff I think.  I especially like the bag with the green hearts.

Thanks again Stan for show casing some of my works,  the upper photo on the right is of a Colonial New England fowler bag,  but the musket and powder horn in the picture are the stars of that picture,  the musket is an original second model British Brown Bess that was found in a boarded up attic in an early Victorian house in Boston, the musket was found leaning against a chimney, the bayonet (made by Brown Bros. cutlery in London England in 1772)  was stuck in a roofing joist over the gun, and the remnants of a hunting bag mostly eaten away by mice was hanging off the bayonet along with the Powder horn, the horn was half full of crude black powder so the bugs didn't get to it and it's still in great condition, it's still carrying it's green tint from being packed in brine when it was shipped to the colonies from England, the musket itself was also in great shape and I carried it and shot blank charges out of it in Rev war events.
  When I bought it from a close friend who got it from a contractor customer of his,  it was loaded with about a hundred grains of BP under about 4" of dried kernel corn topped with what looked like either deteriorated paper or wasps nest, most likely used to kill garden pests.
 From papers found with the gun it appears the original owner was a British soldier who was part of the invading forces in 1812,  when the British pulled out of Washington he defected and fled to Boston, took on a new identity and live out the rest of his life in Boston,  one theory is that he got too old to do much, and boarded up most of the rooms in the house and live in one or two rooms that were easier to heat than a whole house.
 I owned the Bess and it's bayonet for about 25 years until a close friend and teacher of early American history made me an offer I couldn't refuse,  but I still have the horn in my collection.       

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2021, 06:28:51 PM »
They all look fantastic.  I reallty like the one on the bottom right.

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2021, 06:49:08 PM »
They all look fantastic.  I reallty like the one on the bottom right.

Crash, 
  I copied that bag from a photo in a book that documented original hunting bags and shot pouches from the 18th and early 19th centuries that survived and were either in museums or in private collections, supposedly it was one of the bags owned by Davey Crocket, the original was made from a boot top that had been cut in half lengthways, one half was folded over and sewed up the sides with a fringed strip added, the other half was used to make up the beaver tailed front flap. 
 I made mine from oiled tanned leather and it was assembled a bit differently, but it was a pretty close representation of the original.
  Thanks for the positive comment.   :cheers:

Offline Chekmate

• Mill File+
  • Keep Your Tinder Dry
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2021, 08:34:36 PM »
That's really nice work.

Keep Your Tinder Dry
Chekmate
Keep Your Tinder Dry
Chekmate

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 04:56:05 PM »
Here are a few more of Moe's shooting bags.  I like them all.  There are more photos to come too so it ain't over yet.

(Mark Twain)

Online OutdoorEnvy

• Water Stone
  • Outdoor Junky Approved
    • OutdoorEnvy
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 05:13:33 PM »
Very neat stuff Moe!  Heck even the blankets they're on look cool.  Love the era of those items.  The knives look awesome and Old Philosopher better be using that bowie!  Thanks for the pics Moe and Stan
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:10:16 PM by OutdoorEnvy »
Proverbs 27:17    "As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend"
http://outdoorenvy.blogspot.com/

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 05:14:33 PM »
Here are some of Moe's smaller bags.  Once again some really good stuff.  Tobacco tin and fire starter kit as well.

(Mark Twain)

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 05:49:41 PM »
  Thanks again Stan for posting them,  and everyone who's enjoyed viewing and commented on them.    :thumbsup: :cheers:

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 06:36:31 PM »
 :cheers:  You're welcome Moe.  I still got about three more sets to go too.  I have not scanned that bunch yet and irrigation problems kept me busy today. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: Today at 05:02:06 AM »
Those are every bit as cool as the others.  You can easily see the time and craftmanship that went into making them.

Online Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #18 on: Today at 06:07:56 AM »
:cheers:  You're welcome Moe.  I still got about three more sets to go too.  I have not scanned that bunch yet and irrigation problems kept me busy today.

LOL,  this ain't no race,  like I said when I mailed them to you,  I'm in no hurry,  and to be honest I haven't looked at them in quite a while and I'm enjoying them as much as all of you guys are.