Author Topic: A great trip down memory lane  (Read 751 times)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
A great trip down memory lane
« on: February 09, 2022, 07:36:52 AM »

This forum has been pretty quiet for a long time, it wasn't always like this, there was a time starting back in late 2011 until about 2017 or so that it was pretty busy with posts numbering up 50 a day or more.
 There's a saying that goes "out of sight, out of mind" and like most sayings they usually ring true, like allot of us older members I used to post anywhere from five to twenty posts a day, some members posted more, we discussed knives, camping, cars and trucks, guns, hunting, and most things outdoors, and we traded recipes for all different kinds of foods.
 Yesterday I was thinking of making some southern sweet tea, it's been years since I made any, my son, daughter in law. and granddaughter were over to visit and the conversation turned to tea, my granddaughter said that she loves cold tea and that got me thinking about sweet tea, being from New England I've had iced tea served in different ways but never heard of southern sweet tea until one of our members (Smokewalker) posted his recipe in the Foods and Cooking section, I made his recipe and it tasted great, going into winter it was forgotten.
 So I went back in the B&B archives and found Smokewalker's recipe along with years of great memories of discussions with friends that are no longer with us and a few that still are, there was also a twinge of sadness that this forum has all but played itself out, but while it's still here those old recipes and the great friends and members that contributed them are still there in our written history, some of you might think it would be interesting to follow me for a walk down our memory lane for some great reading and great recipes. 
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wsdstan

• Belt Grinder
Re: A great trip down memory lane
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2022, 09:28:12 AM »
I think that is a good idea.  I am going to go look up that area and see what pops up that interests me. Sweet tea sounds good to me Moe.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2022, 04:11:48 PM »
I looked up the recipe for Mom's Macaroni & Cheese last week! :banana: :cheers:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2022, 05:55:03 AM »
I think that is a good idea.  I am going to go look up that area and see what pops up that interests me. Sweet tea sounds good to me Moe.

It was very good Stan, and an interesting recipe as well, I think you'll enjoy it and surfing those old posts. 

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2022, 06:09:36 AM »
I looked up the recipe for Mom's Macaroni & Cheese last week! :banana: :cheers:

Allot of your recipes in those archives as well Craig, I loved your sausage recipes.   :drool:

Smokewalker's recipe for his mom's depression era chocolate cake are still a staple in my house, there's a half a cake sitting on the sideboard in the kitchen that I baked yesterday, some of the kids stopped by to visit and ate most of it, I've added a few things to the recipe, but it's still Smokewalker's recipe and still great.

I really miss some of those folks,  Smokewalker, OP, Woodswoman, The Professor, and a few others and often wish I knew how they were, and if they are still on this side of the river.   

Offline wsdstan

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2022, 07:40:29 AM »
I miss them too Moe, I really miss Dave, Woodsrunner a lot.  He quit his youtube posts as well so I have no idea what happened to him.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2022, 11:38:13 AM »
I miss them too Moe, I really miss Dave, Woodsrunner a lot.  He quit his youtube posts as well so I have no idea what happened to him.

Yup, I really miss his hiking videos, he was posting on bcusa for a short time while weaning off of B&B, then nothing at all from him since, there was no warning from him about giving it up or having physical ailments, OP went the same way.

Offline wsdstan

• Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2022, 12:21:33 PM »
Not knowing either of their last names makes it tough.  Hope they are okay.
(Mark Twain)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2022, 12:01:26 PM »

I think I've managed to track down The Professor, as far as I know he and his wife still live in IL. he's 70 yrs. old now, and that's about all I know besides he and his wife's names, their address and PO Box number, he is another member that dropped off the radar abruptly with no warning.
 We used to talk on line allot, mostly about outdoor cooking and trail recipes, back a few years ago he sent me a cloth embroidered patch that said Camp Cook on it in gold thread, while doing some cleaning in my well packed storage room
 I ran across the patch and the envelope that it came in, and it had his name and return address on it which allowed me to find him, I also found his mom's obituary, she passed in 2021.
 I'm still debating whether to write or call him to ask how they're doing and why he quit posting, I'm just not sure how he would take it, or if it's even the right thing for me to do.
  :shrug:

He also made some great videos of his camping events and he had a series of cooking video's he made in a log cabin he built on his farm, those were the days. 

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2022, 01:31:05 PM »
Maybe instead of asking him the why, let him know that you enjoyed his posts and that you miss them.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2022, 10:00:04 AM »
Maybe instead of asking him the why, let him know that you enjoyed his posts and that you miss them.

:thumbsup: