Author Topic: Barramundi Bedourie Special  (Read 606 times)

Offline Kelso

• Mill File
Barramundi Bedourie Special
« on: March 07, 2022, 02:04:01 PM »
Every year for quite a number of years (barring the recent Covid years) a group of mates and I head up to the top-end of Australia for a bit of barramundi fishing. Now, I am the self-appointed camp cook, primarily because we had to "disallow' one bloke from ever entering the kitchen tent, some blokes just won't wash their hands after the most basic requirement. Anyway enough of that.

Barramundi. I don't really know where to start as I am nowhere near a good enough wordsmith to adequately describe the feeling, the sheer lust, the joy, the anticipation, the angst, the rewards, the sorrow, shall I go on - words cannot describe barra fishing. That is why there is no hesitation in packing up and travelling more 3,500 kms - each way - for ten days of fishing. It is hot, humid and rough camping and nobody cares.

Barramundi. Eating barramundi? You betcha!! Us Aussies are a weird mob, do you know there are blokes here (and girls), let me change that - do you there are stupid blokes and girls here who actually say "Barramundi are over-rated" - like, I have to say, Double-digit IQs are the greatest threat to Australia. These people have only ever tasted farmed barra imported from Asia and then try to tell me barra are over-rated!

Ok, that is out of the way and you are beginning to anticipate the recipe which will be forthcoming. But firstly, Bedourie.

The Bedourie oven. These ovens, made in South Australia (the driest State in the driest continent is their claim to fame - and of course, Bedourie ovens and RM Williams boots). These ovens are not traditional cast iron ovens, rather, they are spun steel with a lid that also doubles as a frying pan. You need to take care to season the oven correctly and then re-learn using an oven in coals. They tend to heat up quickly and can burn the culinary delight you have whipped up. I reckon your best bet here is to google Bedourie Ovens and have a good read. It is worth it but don't take notice of the codgers (stupid codgers) who carry on about how much better a cast iron oven is, these blokes are the ones who also spend time extolling the warped opinion that barra are over-rated.

Straight to the recipe eh! One last thing though - I used google to check out what fish you blokes would substitute for barra - answer, a fish with firm, white flesh. Over here I would use Snapper - do you blokes have snapper. I also read Halibut would be Ok. Let me know if you have a go and substitute a fish.

Ok - the recipe

4 or five spuds (potatoes) - half cooked and sliced fairly thickly
Couple of onions - sliced
Line the bottom of the oven with the slices (can mix them up a bit) and add a good splash of olive oil
Pour half a small jar of jalapenos over these slices

Layer (my oven - the larger Bedourie allows four thick pieces) 4 large pieces of fish onto the spud/onion slices

In a separate bowl mix:
A can of diced capsicum (or dice a fresh one if you can - we have to cross three State borders to get into the NT and of course we can't transport fresh fruit and veges over the borders so canned stuff it is)
Can of corn kernels (small can will be OK - the same small size as the capsicum)
A block of Old Vintage cheese (the good stuff - aged about 24 months or more) cube the cheese

Then add - before I do this I make sure i have had a couple of stubbies (yeah probably more than a couple) which gives me a "daring attitude" - an attitude needed for "adding a splash or lashing"

Splash of Tabasco sauce
Good Splash of Oyster Sauce
Couple cloves crushed garlic (two teaspoons)
200ml of honey
Good lashing of fish seasoning
Squeeze about 2 inches of coriander (from the tube of crushed coriander)
A trickle of olive oil
If you are game - a slurp of bourbon (yeah we drink that but put a slurp in and then have a drink)

Mix the contents of the bowl and pour over the fish

Cook in the camp oven for about 35 mins to 40 - I serve this with a spoonful of rice (just to make it look fancy on the plate - but none of the knuckleheads I'm up there fishing with appreciate that little touch - Knuckleheads!)

There you have it - camp oven cooking - Classic Barra.

Offline wsdstan

• Belt Grinder
Re: Barramundi Bedourie Special
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2022, 08:21:28 PM »
Not one can of capiscum in our local grocery.  I will use a bell pepper or chili pepper should I ever catch a Barramundi.  Thanks for the recipe it actually sounds good regardless of the fish or sausage or meat you put on it. 

There are no Bedourie ovens on any shelves around here either.  I found one on the big auction site for $96.00 but shipping costs are just about the same price from Oz so I will just my cast iron chicken fryer.  I am not likely to drop and break it so it will okay.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Kelso

• Mill File
Re: Barramundi Bedourie Special
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 08:51:18 PM »
Yeah the Bedourie is used primarily for weight reduction and having the lid as a frypan is also very handy. A fresh bell pepper will do the job i'm sure, as would any fish or meat. I hope you give it a go and let us know how it went.