Author Topic: christmas is upon us once again  (Read 934 times)

Offline hayshaker

• Water Stone
christmas is upon us once again
« on: December 15, 2020, 06:57:56 AM »
well it's christmas again .whew where did the year go. did'nt get an evte from the inlaws yet so i guess it's me the turkies and the cats again.
is what it is i guess,  and because of the COMMUNIST STATE i live in there will be no church services. my thought is this,
the people have themselves to          blame for who  they voted into office.     i will watch a b&w movie a christmas carol.
and play a cd bing crosby white christmas/ there ya go.

Offline boomer

• Whetstone +
Re: christmas is upon us once again
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 07:29:55 AM »
Wishing the best for you and yours during the holidays even if you don't live in the USA.

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 11:05:51 PM »
I dunno what I'll do yet.  Home (where my family is) is Sioux Falls, SD, kind of a long drive but I still might go.  Depends on the weather, etc.  My buddy in ID invited me to Xmas at their place which is where I went last year.  Honestly his folks are pretty old as is my mom so I'd feel terrible if my being there got any of them sick (and his dad isn't in very good shape).  Part of me wants to just stay home and chill but I'm going stir crazy bottled up in my place every day.  It's not like I go out a ton but I miss being able to visit the few friends I do have.

Offline boomer

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 06:57:25 AM »
Most folks are in the same boat as Phaedrus. I won't see my kids or gbabies for a while since we're spread out across the country. But that is life during this pandemic. No point in rehashing how or why we got into this fix or what it will end up costing us but sufficient to say hospitalizations are up with ICU's maxing out and death rates related to this virus continue to rise (already far beyond rates of any other country in the world). As the virus circulates among younger cohorts the youthful conceit of immortality s getting a wake up call. Add the fact that we're still learning about the longer term effects of this virus and maybe it's past time to start acting like responsible citizens.  Sorry if that's too terse for some folks but every single day that dawns another 9/11 worth of citizens die, multiple times more than all combat related deaths in VN have already died and the total dead from this virus has already exceeded all combat related deaths among the "greatest generation" in WW2. We're running out of comparisons and folks are still dying at rates we simply cannot handle.

The widely circulated politically motivated disinformation certainly hasn't helped anymore than ignoring science and throttling the CDC has. This pandemic isn't about politics since a virus doesn't care about politics. Folks who refuse to follow basic Public Health science are about politics and irresponsible politics at that. Those that see masking or shut downs as infringments might stop to consider what an infringment dying before your time is or what "right" there is to infect and possibly kill others to satisfy a poiltical point.

Consider ths: A pandemic of this type has long been expected and planning has been ongoing. We were not prepared for it regardless and mostly reacted in the worst possible ways. The how and why doesn't matter right now. When, not if, another arises we can only hope it is not more leathal than what we're dealing with today because we're not doing well at this point, are we?

Rant over.

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 08:00:58 AM »
Well said, Boomer.  I'm trying to be careful and just keep my head down.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 06:23:11 AM »
If you are foregoing visits to friends and family over covid concerns, then you have been brainwashed.

Offline hayshaker

• Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2020, 02:59:33 PM »
coroana virus aside this is without question the worst christmas i've ever had.
even when i was homeless in hawaii i still had friends about me and even without
family near i had a great time.  but now i don't even know what to say.
i have'nt recieved an invite from the inlaws nor should i have to invite myself.
that just do'nt feel right.

so i guess it's me the cat and turkeys again. whoo hoo,.
what i guess bothers me most is that this could be the very last christmas well know in america.
most folks do'nt even realize this. well i guess it is what it is.

Offline boomer

• Whetstone +
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2020, 03:54:48 PM »
"If you are foregoing visits to friends and family over covid concerns, then you have been brainwashed."

Interetsing perspective ndeed, I'd be interested in how this conclusion was reached. Really. No kidding. I'm curious about knowing.

Off hand I'd say 300K plus folks and 3K or more every single day might want to argue about that perspective. But they can't.

They're dead.

Right now the mortality rate is hanging around 4%. Might not seem like a lot but then many thngs don;t seem like a big deal until they are. Add in the fact infection sequalae (after effects related to infections) are still unknown  Might be like an earlier era when youngsters contracted a fever, got better and then a few decades later their heart valves blew out. Or maybe not, we simply don't know. I hope not.

Of course if folks are inclined to take a chance themselves, for whatever reasons, they can. But it's only fair to let others close to them  know about it so they can make their own decisions and it's nowhere near OK to just run along infecting strangers.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2020, 07:28:49 AM »
Boomer, you are, just...... wrong.    Merry Christmas anyway.   

Oh, the death rate here in Alachua County, despite the media reporting dodgy numbers, is right at .0004 of the total population.   But carry on with your wallowing in fear.

Offline boomer

• Whetstone +
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2020, 08:19:43 AM »
Best to you and yours in the Holidays and all year as well, thank you.

Still not sure why you think I'm mistaken Mannlicher but that's OK.

Fear has nothing to do with it. It's just simple arithmetic. Having been n the medical business for 30 plus years providing care and teaching in this area I might take a different approach. Fact, biology, medicine and Public Heath concerns sure; fear not so much. We have learned a lot about Covid 19 this past year but there remains more to learn and that will necessarily take much more time.

My family is spread out in the SW and SE. None of us has died of Covid. Does that mean none in those areas have died? Obviously not, That claim would be a false equivalency. Now, I'm happy to hear things are better than most in your area. Pandemics however, aren't localized, recognize no political agenda, nationality, border or human opinion. The pathogens just do what they do and they do that very well.

Events like Covid 19, especially when there is a certain level of inevitablty involved, create unique stressors in any society. Some will predictably try to spin the comditions to their advantage - whatever that might be. Recent months have seen plenty of dis and misinformation circulate all over the place. When we stick with facts however, we improve ourchances of getting through whatever we face more readily and with less loss of life. That seems a reasonable approach to me.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2020, 09:20:27 AM »
we evidently live in different worlds.  Hope you survive in yours.   

Offline boomer

• Whetstone +
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2020, 10:26:38 AM »
EDIT: incorrectly stated above mortality rate is around 4%. Corr4ect rate is around 2%.

Have A poor proofreader. I fire him if he didn't work for free.

Offline boomer

• Whetstone +
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2020, 03:40:16 PM »
"we evidently live in different worlds.  Hope you survive in yours."

If we can accept "alternative facts" why not "alternative realities"? Just a short hop from there to "different worlds" I suppose.

Holiday wishes to you and yours . . . in whatever "world" y'all find yourselves.   

Offline Dabberty

• Whetstone +
    • My outdoor & DIY blog
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2020, 01:33:27 AM »
Well, you always have a choice on how to approach and see things, negatively or positively.
The negative way will affect you in more ways then you can think.

With that said, all the best to each and every one of you, stay healthy positive, strong, resourcefulness, and awesome :-)
My outdoor & DIY blog:  www.dabberty.com

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2020, 02:41:09 PM »
You too Dabberty. 

I check your youtube posts every so often and liked the one on restoring that older axe.  Nice job on that.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2020, 04:56:53 AM »
Merry Christmas to all of you and your families.  However you choose to celebrate or call it. 

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2020, 09:43:51 AM »
Merry Christmas to all of you and I hope 2021 brings a bit more happiness than 2020 did.  Doubtful but one can always hope.  As you all know, hope is a good thing.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2020, 10:37:38 AM »
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!   We had 55* temperatures here day before yesterday, but the wind was blowing a steady 42mph with gusts up to 65mph.  That unseasonably warm weather is over now because yesterday it was only in the teens and we got somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-4'' of snow, accompanied by 50-68mph winds......it was a full-blown blizzard, but we WILL have a white Christmas, I guess. :shrug:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX