Author Topic: New Holiday greetings  (Read 498 times)

Offline boomer

• Whetstone +
New Holiday greetings
« on: June 17, 2021, 09:43:34 PM »
Juneteenth is now a federal holiday. Hope everyone enjoys the day. Always nice to add another day to the holiday calendar.

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
Re: New Holiday greetings
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 10:17:03 PM »
 :lol:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 06:38:29 AM »
great, we now have two black Federal holidays.  Special events that exclude 80% of the population, and make us even more divided

Offline boomer

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 07:17:42 AM »
great, we now have two black Federal holidays.  Special events that exclude 80% of the population, and make us even more divided

Guess you could look at it that way. Two out of eleven is dtill just rwo out of eleven though. During parts of the Medieval period in Europe there was something like 100 Holy Days when regular work was suspended. Of course, other obligations were imposed or at least expected so it's a straight up situation. Point being we all expect to work some to live but that's different from simply living to work.

So more holidays are a good thing as i see it. Participate or not its your time and in the end isnt that all we really have?

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2021, 03:15:00 AM »
I would think white people would be just as happy to celebrate the abolition of the evil of slavery as black people are.

Offline windy

• Mill File+
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2021, 11:06:39 AM »
I appreciate the direction this seems to be headed, but we gotta keep politics outta here; I had to leave too many sites because of the extremists--on both sides.  If a guy's not all one, or all the other (and that's me!) then he's gonna tear one of these sites apart disagreeing with the idiots.  Blessings to all!
windy

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2021, 01:21:11 PM »
I have no problem (in fact I applaud) celebrating the end of slavery.  A second Independence that this great country celebrates.  I believe that it shows how we have grown as a country since its inception. 

Offline randyt

• Whetstone +
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2021, 07:40:48 PM »
Federal holiday aside, we should never forget history. The good. The bad, the ugly.

By the way slavery did not end. Probably more now than ever. However it is different now.