Author Topic: sitting alone in an empty place  (Read 1343 times)

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
sitting alone in an empty place
« on: June 24, 2021, 06:19:20 AM »
 Have you ever dreamed that you left your house to go somewhere and you found that you were alone,  I mean the world was still there, the neighborhood, the town you live in,  the houses were still where they were supposed to be, cars parked in their driveways, but no pets are running around their yards, no kids riding their bikes,  no sound of lawnmowers, no cars moving on the street,  everywhere, the quiet was weirdly apparent.

Sometimes this place is like that.   :shrug:
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline windy

• Mill File+
Re: sitting alone in an empty place
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 10:43:22 AM »
"This place"?  Ya mean this site?  Not much going on here, is there.  Hopefully that means most of us are in the bush, practicing our skills, or busy prepping for an outing.  Maybe hafting a blade, or stitching some leather for a sheath or guard.  Anybody got a foot or two of really high-diameter fire hose?  I need to make my pulaski safe for travel.
windy

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 01:20:25 PM »
I check a couple of times a day, or more, and what is funny this last week is that there were a lot of guests and maybe two members.  A couple of days ago there were 75 guests and 2 members (me and Wolfy).  Later RandyT and 78 guests were on when I checked.  As I am typing this there are 70 guests and me.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 03:46:05 PM »
Yeah, I check a couple of times a day, too.....I don't know why. :shrug:   I haven't been doing many 'woodsy' things, either.....just too danged HOT!   Other than a Dutch oven tutorial-demonstration they asked me to do for the local farmers' market....nothing.  BTW, it was in the high 90s that day and I couldn't pour enough water down my gullet.....made me about half sick! :puke:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2021, 03:12:19 AM »
It's been slow here but hopefully it's folks getting out.  My shoulder is improving (although I probably won't be able to return to work for another eight weeks) so at least I can type.  I will probably be able to at least get outdoors to hang out with some friends, although it will have to be easy drive-up spots as I can't safely hike anything very rough.  If I take a tumble I risk messing up the shoulder again in which case it will be a total replacement! :P

We had rain today but everything it still as dry as a popcorn fart!  Not looking good for being able to light a fire in camp this summer. :'(

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2021, 01:31:30 PM »
summer time is just too dang hot and humid here for me to go to the woods.  Other than an occasional 4X4 trail ride,  I won't be in the forest for another 3 months.  Even 4X4 trail riding is problematic now, with all the heavy rain we have gotten.  Over 13 inches in June, with a tropical storm due here next week. 

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2021, 02:10:57 PM »
summer time is just too dang hot and humid here for me to go to the woods.  Other than an occasional 4X4 trail ride,  I won't be in the forest for another 3 months.  Even 4X4 trail riding is problematic now, with all the heavy rain we have gotten.  Over 13 inches in June, with a tropical storm due here next week.

I hear you, I can't take the heat anymore like I used,  however the temps up here have been pretty comfortable between 85 ~ 95 on average, all last week it was in the high 70's,  but it's been raining a good deal making up for a pretty dry winter (not much snow or rain) so water tables are below average. 

Offline boomer

• Whetstone +
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2021, 12:42:57 PM »
My situation is kind of different from the OP - pretty secluded and quiet is the norm. Lately I've been going into town 3 days a week in the mornings and it's been a bit of a shock. Just not used to operating on factory time anymore. At least I'm still mostly "sitting alone in a empty place" most of the time. That suits me fine.

Offline hayshaker

• Water Stone
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2021, 03:56:00 PM »
I hate to BUT i never even put up a tent out back this year,
for years i always had a camp going.  don't know feels like something has changed.

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2021, 04:07:05 PM »
For the last 2 1/2 months we went to bed at dark, got up when the birds woke us,  collected mushrooms when it rained, drank spring water out of a rusty pipe behind the First Baptist Church of the Everlasting Water, ran the heeler pack when we could find a place where they wouldn't bug anybody ... anyway a lot of woodsy things.  Sorta breaks the spell if I get on the phone and forums... so I didn't.

Ill try to post some stuff up.  But we're going back in a month, and if you don't have a ham radio...

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2021, 05:29:05 PM »
You got it figured out Tony.  I can picture drinking out of that pipe.

I spent the afternoon riding my motorcycle.  Went to Sturgis and looked at the Indian motorcycles at the dealership there.  The Rally is over so it is almost back to normal.  I rode the back road gravel almost all the way there and came home on the Interstate at a blistering pace for twenty miles and then got back on the gravel.  I enjoyed that hour and a half quite a bit.  Never thought about anything except how good that bike sounds going down the road. 
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2021, 06:39:46 PM »
Western SD is insane for the month bracketing the rally!  That's one thing I don't miss about living there.  Event the rally itself is pretty old hat after the first dozen or so times.

Offline hayshaker

• Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2021, 06:43:29 PM »
well the only excitement i've seen over the weekend is that i found there are wild hogs in the neighborhood. saw a few trucks drive by with a bed load of hogs.  one was shot just down at the corner. so i figured out what all the shooting was about all day.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2021, 07:05:19 PM »
I am surprised there are hogs in that farm country.  Better set on the porch and blaze away.  Lots of ham, sausage, and bacon for you.
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2021, 01:34:31 PM »
Another place that's pretty alone (except for a couple old world traveling surf buddies) is dawn patrol when a hurricane is spinning a few hundred miles east of us.  They'll get in today.  It's small today but it's supposed to be 5-7 ft for days.  The sun coming up and legs burning from long rides.  We're gettin' old but we ain't dead yet.  Soft shell crabs and cocoanut shrimp for lunch.  Maybe an evening session.  But we might just sit our ass' in the sand and drink beer.  Chris has a duplex a block off the beach with bunks for us and racks for the boards.  Mountains and beach.  Not in a million years did I think I'd live this life.

Offline hayshaker

• Water Stone
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2021, 06:30:26 PM »
so strange the title of the thread,  it sounds like my house,

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2021, 08:30:32 PM »
so strange the title of the thread,  it sounds like my house,

Mine, too.

Offline hayshaker

• Water Stone
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2021, 07:08:30 PM »
the title reminds me of an old country song by ferlin husky called hello walls.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2021, 05:48:42 AM »
the title reminds me of an old country song by ferlin husky called hello walls.

Those were the days of real country music,  before it turned into it's modern day form of noise.   :shrug:

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2021, 11:28:27 AM »
Country music is dead.  Long live country.

Guys,  I'm sorry you're isolated and not wanting to be.  I'm pretty sure I wouldn't do well in prolonged isolation.  I've really only thought about this since this covid reared it's ugly head.  I have always liked my solitude.  But it was my choice.  And there were friends and family when I got back home.  I guess us talking about the peace and serenity of alone must rub you the wrong way.  Hang in there.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2021, 05:53:28 AM »

I've still got tapes and CD's of old fashioned country music that I play occasionally,  the last real country music that I remember was on the Radio,  a station out of Wheeling West Virginia used to play all the old favorites on Saturdays from early in the morning until about five in the afternoon , I think they quit broadcasting back in the late '70's early '80's. 
 Marty Stuart and Connie Smith I think still have a Country & Western music show on TV that features old time country music.
 Another of my favorite sounds are Cajun/Creole country music.

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2021, 06:02:16 AM »
Iko iko unday.

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2021, 03:52:47 PM »

Try streaming KLEB. It's an AM station out of Golden Meadow LA. Authentic Cajun/Creole. I stream it on my phone and bluetooth it to a bigger amp and speaker when I'm out in the shop. Good stuff.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2021, 03:36:11 AM »

Try streaming KLEB. It's an AM station out of Golden Meadow LA. Authentic Cajun/Creole. I stream it on my phone and bluetooth it to a bigger amp and speaker when I'm out in the shop. Good stuff.

Thanks.   :thumbsup: :cheers: