Author Topic: Old Vehicle Refurbs  (Read 519 times)

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
Old Vehicle Refurbs
« on: September 02, 2021, 02:38:17 PM »
I have 2 vehicles that have reached the time to get refurbished.  '82 Jeep Scrambler and a '66 Impala.  Neither has been started in a looong time.  I can do the mechanics and there are plenty of shops to do the body work and upholstery around.  My question is, what do I do before I crank those engines up for the first time in decades.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
Re: Old Vehicle Refurbs
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 04:55:06 PM »
Most of the time an engine that has been sitting for decades will need to go through a complete inspection and cleaning of all the hoses, air supply, and vacuum lines.  Remove the air cleaner to check that the carb is clear, turn the motor over with a socket on the crank pulley to be sure it is free, and put in fresh oil. Pull all the spark plugs and put ATF or something like Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder.  About 2 oz. in each cylinder should be adequate.  If you parked this rig and drained the fuel tank you still might want to make sure the tank isn't full of rust.  Remove the drain plug and run fuel into the tank and see what comes out.  It might be a good idea to shoot some starting fluid down the carb the first time you crank it over and use a bottle of fuel you can dribble into the tank is also okay if you're concerned about the condition of the fuel tank.  It might take some time to get fuel from the tank to the engine depending on the fuel pump and so the remote bottle eliminates that for a little bit.  Takes two people and one of them should not be your wife.   :P

Depending on what you think this might be something to do outside and not in the garage.  One of the funnier things I saw years ago was a guy doing what we are talking about and having his teenage son turning the key while he dribbled fuel in the carb on an old four cylinder Jeep.  It backfired and was shooting a steady flame out of the carb and then the fuel pump kicked in and fed the fire while the kid kept cranking the ignition.  It was touch and go to get the fire out until the kid was yanked out of the seat by an irate Dad.  All ended well but might have been a disaster. 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 05:01:21 PM by wsdstan »
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Pete Bog

• Supporting Member
  • Whetstone +
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 11:52:13 PM »
Just to expound on that technique a little. Been there done that and I'll be doing it again, but so far, I have been really lucky. Through the years I've learned from others mistakes.
Don't use a bottle any bigger than you are willing to have ignite in your hands. A 1/2 cup of fuel is adequate. if you need more you can refill.
Use a plastic bottle. You can drill a small hole in the cap and then squeeze a shot of fuel into the carb. Otherwise you run the risk of accidentally dumping in too much fuel.
keep a big rag handy to stuff over the carb to smother the flames if it starts to get exciting. A handy fire extinguisher as a last resort because they make such a mess.
I've seen carburators melted down into the intake manifold and there's a man lives down the road that used a 1 gallon gas can for the priming. He spent a year or more under a doctors care and is disfigured for the rest of his life. Wore a clear plastic face mask for 2 or 3 years to help with the healing.
I've done it so many times I can't even count. My younger sister drove while I rode home on the fender of a 37 chevy pouring gas into the carb because the fuel pump quit. Only a couple miles from the hayfield to home. But you gotta think ahead.
Currently working on a '53 Studebaker. It's either got a weak fuel pump or there's an air lock in the fuel line somewhere. I see a carb priming in my near future.
By the way, If 85% ethanol fuel is available in your area, it works great for cleaning old gummy fuel out of gas tanks, fuel lines, etc. And it's a lot cheaper than anything else for cleaning that gunk out. Just don't let it sit in any rubber lines, fuel pump or carb for an extended period. It'll soften and dissolve the rubber parts. The short fuel line hoses should be replaced anyway. You'll know your lines are clean when the fuel coming through changes from a rusty gunk to a clear color. You force it through the lines by pressurising the tank. 3 or 4 PSI is more than enough, you don't want to crack any seams on the tank. If it has sat for years, the screen on the end of the pickup in the tank is usually plugged with gummed up fuel, you'll have to pull it and clean or replace it. Good luck, be safe.

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 06:03:35 AM »
Thanks a bunch guys.  I probably will replace the tank anyway.  All the rubber.  The little straight six in the jeep is a great engine.  I really didn't want to mess it up.  Or me.

Gotta figure out how to fit 2 adults and two dogs in it.  The fur babies might need a jump seat in the bed.

I guess the Jeep's first.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 12:41:43 PM »
There used to be a CJ 8 around here that had a full size soft top that included the bed.  It was pretty neat but I have not seen it for a few years so I imagine whomever had it moved or sold it.  Dogs would fit back there easily.  Lots of gear might be a problem though.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2021, 03:32:56 PM »
That's probably the least of my problems.  Max likes the console seat.  Tellico is all over the place.  We're trying to figure out who farted and stank the whole house up right now.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2021, 03:36:26 PM »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:
(Mark Twain)

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2021, 03:49:01 PM »
Tellico has a guilty look.  I think he's the culprit. 

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2021, 04:47:34 PM »
That 66 probably isn't worth messing with, I'll come pick it up and help fund the Jeep rebuild. How much and where?

Just messing with ya. I hope you share pictures. If you're on another platform for that pm me I really want to stay tuned.

Most any engine with a full air cleaner and exhaust has a good chance of starting right up. Everything above is spot on.

My Father in law had a Cutlass in his barn that belonged to his father. He wanted me to help him get it back on the road. First thing I found was a stuck motor. He insisted it couldn't be, it must be the starter stuck. No idea why a socket on the crank had anything to do with the starter. It all stopped right there.
I think the Chevy will cost much less.
J.ust

E.mpty

E.very

P.ocket

Good luck on both. Nice that you kept them around !
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2021, 04:56:25 PM »
Now now.  It's an '82.  No chips or programming.  And I can pick and choose the parts.  Every gang banger in Ocala, FL is going to be after the Impala.  Good thing I have firepower and 2 heelers.  Oh yeah,  and a wife that carries.

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2021, 04:57:59 PM »
I'll post before and after pics.  May not interest many but not much going on here anyway.

Offline xj35s

• Water Stone
  • If I go missing, carladerby at gmail for info.
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2021, 11:15:01 AM »
Somewhere on here I posted my Ford rebuild after an accident. I'm not sure the pic still show or not. I need to still replace the radiator and the steering gearbox. Going to the junk yard for the box. new are over $600 and reman have very bad reviews.

I'll be watching and I'm sure it'll be of interest to most.
pessimist complain about the wind. optimist expect the wind to change. realist adjusts the sails.

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2021, 11:35:06 AM »
Looking forward to it.  You've been talking about rebuilding it for ten years.  Sort of that why do today what you can put off until tomorrow thing.

Offline Mannlicher

• Water Stone
  • A Florida Cracker, and an original Kracaneuner
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2021, 06:52:42 AM »
when you finally get the Jeep running, I  can show you all the neat trails in the ONF

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2021, 11:20:03 AM »
Looking forward to it.  I probably won't get much done before we head to the mountains.  But I'm studying up on the sequence and going to try and see if the engine's ceased first.  Then a list of rubber to replace (Good God!  Has that gone through the roof.)

Went hiking/mushroom hunting out this morning.  Mainly looking for Chantrelles.  We were collecting them last year this time.  Maybe our spots haven't gotten enough rain yet.  We only saw a handfull of immature ones today.  I inoculated some logs in NC before we came home.  Looking forward to seeing if I have a crop yet.  Ordering some spore to do the same down here.