Author Topic: 1st Fall Hike  (Read 612 times)

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
1st Fall Hike
« on: September 23, 2021, 01:38:24 PM »
Wow!  What a morning for a hike.  72 in the Ocala National Forest.  Looked for shrooms since it's been raining but they were too small.

I'm taking up rucking.  Hiking with at least 20 lbs.  Boy am I going to have to ease into it.  BTW you can ruck on pavement too.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
Re: 1st Fall Hike
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 06:33:49 PM »
20 pounds would wear me out these days.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 07:12:13 PM »
It was nice this morning.  It was the first time in a long time that I could walk outdoors and not start sweating right away.  Had a good morning at the range.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 06:11:03 AM »
20 pounds would wear me out these days.

Amen brother,  Over the last few years I've changed packs a few times (keep getting them smaller),  got shed of all my redundant gear, and have gone truly minimalist on the rest, while making sure that I have everything I might need to survive most emergencies and still be reasonably comfortable.
  When in my prime I used to hump about 40 pounds regularly,  when I started to feel hampered my load out was about 25 pounds (less food and water), and that was getting too heavy,  now my pack (less food and water) is down to between 10 and 12 pounds, it's meant the difference between being out and staying home,  it was a challenge reducing the weight,  but, as some of you know I was into 18th century period trekking for many years which required  a truly minimalist trail kit, so looking back on what sustained me back then was a big help in adjusting my kit today.
  I'm not packing ultra light and not into weighing everything I pack, I just chose the lightest gear within reason, cut down on the amount of gear that I carried such as extra tools, cordage, and cookware,  for a whole season I kept a log of what stuff I used on my hikes and what didn't get used,  anything that wasn't life saving or not used regularly got discarded except my well stocked first aid kit and spare batteries for my head lamp, cutting my pack weight in half was a real game changer for me.     

In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 08:04:44 AM »
I think I am guilty of that, taking stuff along that has never been used.   :thumbsup:
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2021, 12:45:29 PM »
I think we're probably all guilty of that.  Kind of the I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it mentality.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2021, 07:57:46 PM »

Well some stuff is unavoidable,  I almost never use my headlamp (I try to be home before the streetlights come on  ;)), I can't remember the last time I used my first aid kit,  I carry either a poncho/tarp or a 5'x7' shelter tarp and lightweight aluminum stakes, and cordage,  but only use it about half the time I out, and I also carry three methods of making fire,  but usually use the BIC lighter,  so there are exceptions.
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2021, 04:45:35 AM »
True.  I have never "had to" spend the night out.  Of course, back in my younger days there were some "what the heck....I'll go back tomorrow" hikes.  There are a few things that I won't sacrifice in order to lighten the load.  One of them is a first aid kit.  Depending on location and time of year there are others as I'm sure everybody has their "gotta have loadout".  Lightening the loadout without giving up peace of mind is the key for me.