Author Topic: Goex black powder  (Read 156 times)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
Goex black powder
« on: September 28, 2021, 09:14:42 AM »
Yesterday Hodgdon announced that Goex, the manufacturer of black powder will be shut down at the end of the year.  While the company is for sale there was not many commenters who thought someone would buy it.  While Hodgdon did not say why, one comment noted that the bulk of block powder business was large military orders for ships cannons and that has been curtailed.

Better stock up if you have a source. :P

There are other sources of powder and hopefully they will be able to step up to address the sporting community needs.  None are USA based though.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 12:05:43 PM by wsdstan »
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
Re: Goex black powder
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 02:47:51 PM »
With luck, another manufacturer will buy them up to capitalize on the market that is still available.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 05:31:33 PM »
I hope you are right but a thread on the other site said they doubted the sporting market that uses Goex is large enough  to justify keeping the plant open.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline wolfy

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
  • "You want a toe? I can get you a toe." -Sobchak
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2021, 08:13:38 PM »
I've got a little under 50# stored in my powder magazine, so I think I'm OK for the time being.  I used to go through at least a case of 25# every year when I was shooting in BPCR competitions, but that has fallen by the wayside since we lost our 1000 yd. range.  Now, it's mostly flintlocks which don't take much more than a couple of pounds per year.  On the other hand, my cannons have a voracious appetite, so maybe another case in the magazine wouldn't hurt. :shrug: :lol:
The only chance you got at a education is listenin' to me talk!
Augustus McCrae.....Texas Ranger      Lonesome Dove, TX

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2021, 03:51:39 AM »
Everybody should have a cannon or two laying around.

Offline Moe M.

• Diamond Stone
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2021, 06:44:54 AM »

Goex,  what else will the minions of evil in this world find to muck up next,  I can see Swiss and other BP brands going to $50.00 a pound not too far down the road and BP shooting become just one more designer hobby unaffordable to all but the very elite high rollers.
 My wife often reminds me that in spite of my affection for the era of the birth of this nation,  of the fur trades shining times, of the wagon trains going west, of the cowboy days and the trail herds being driven east, of all of those times in our history leading up to now,  that we were actually born in the best of times for our nation.
 World wars were behind us, as were the great depressions of the late '20's and '30's,  most of us were raised with the family and home being the hub of our learning,  we were taught respect for others, for ourselves, we were taught about our real history as a nation,  we had unquestioning pride in America and it's founding,  it was a time when most of us actually felt freedom,  growing up I could hunt, fish, and camp just about anywhere in my area, there were no posted signs, no chains across entrances to the woods, no berms blocking in roads.
The Town and City officials were local people who tried to help the citizens rather than hinder,  taxes were reasonable, schools were friendly places to be at, and only criminals need fear the police,  even strangers smiled and nodded hello in passing,  no body locked their doors or their cars, most pickup trucks had a rifle, shotgun, and or a fishing rod on a rack behind the seat in plain sight through the back window.
 I remember many days when in Gramma school or high school especially during hunting season we boys would bring our guns to school and the teachers would keep them in the teachers lunch room or stock closet until the end of the day so that we could hunt small game and upland birds on our walk home.
 While we didn't have allot of the modern electronics and appliances that we have today and average salaries were small I really don't remember wanting for anything I really needed,  we (us and our neighbors) always seemed to get by ok,  it seems like there was allot less stress to our daily lives than there is today,  I can't speak for anyone else, but that era between the early '40's and the turning of the new century while it had it's bumps was a great time in our  nation as far as freedom and prosperity goes for most folks I think.
 The last couple of decades of what some like to call progress have become a down hill slide into fear and insecurity for many in this country,  unless by some miracle we as a country are saved from where we seem to be headed the future doesn't look all that great,  and now Goex, what's next ?  :shrug: 
In youth we learn,   with age we understand.

Offline madmaxine

• Whetstone +
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2021, 10:21:41 AM »
I didn't see that one coming.  What's next?  BB's and pellet's.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2021, 10:43:12 AM »
Well said Moe.  We were born in the best of times and it is turning, for us, to the worst of times.

I didn't see it coming either Max.  Hodgdon is a private company and this shut down is likely economic, not political. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline Phaedrus

• Whetstone +
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2021, 05:36:54 PM »
This looks like the omniscient and infallible Invisible Hand of Capitalism at work.  Demand must be too low to justify the factory as we know the market never makes mistakes.