Author Topic: The pitfalls of collecting too much stuff  (Read 100 times)

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
The pitfalls of collecting too much stuff
« on: October 05, 2021, 11:22:00 AM »
Sometimes I buy too much stuff.  Especially in the case of knives.  No rhyme or reason to the stuff I have collected, just buy what I like and sometimes make what I want.  Yesterday I got out a few boxes of knives and sorted out the ones I wanted to keep (too many) and made a list of the ones that gotta go down the road.  How I wonder.  Well there is Ebay and maybe Craigslist.  Maybe get a table at a gunshow.  Maybe consign them with somebody.  Anyway here is a list of what is going to go sometime and somewhere and somehow.  I am not looking to sell these on here but rather I am looking for suggestions on how you would sell a lot of knives.  I think higher priced ones like a Randall  are easy to sell on Ebay and some of the other knife forums.  Others, for instance a Barminski are regional knives.  He died a long while back and his knives are only well known in Colorado for the most part.  Knives like a Jeff White with Robert Jones sheath go easy on about any forum also. 

What are your thoughts?

« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 07:30:34 PM by wsdstan »
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline crashdive123

• Global Moderator
  • Water Stone
Re: The pitfalls of collecting too much stuff
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 06:43:43 PM »
A collector (if you can find one).  Short of that, your ideas are as good as any. I used to get Blade Magazine. There were always ads for buying collections. I?m sure that offers would be well below true value, but maybe another avenue to explore.

Offline wsdstan

• Supporting Member
  • Belt Grinder
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 07:27:35 PM »
I agree with that Crash.  One is probably better off to just take their time and list a few at a time.

After thinking about it I am going to delete the list of knives as it serves no purpose in this thread.  Thanks for the reply.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns  something he can learn in no other way. 
(Mark Twain)

Offline windy

• Mill File+
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 11:56:04 PM »
I just sold most of my collection; found a collector who owned an antique store and sold most of my oldest knives and sheaths, my bamboo rods and old fly reels, a bunch of re-enacting garb and an 1800's .36 Ohio halfstock boy's rifle.  Mama parted with her fanciest capote and buckskin dress, some mocs and beadwork and foofaraw--stuff we hadn't worn for years; some for decades.  Kept stuff that had been gifted to us; notably a John L Kemp knife that shows its Randall relationship, a couple of bowies that were customs (I made the checkered rosewood scales for the copy of the sandbar blade; a blacksmith friend did the steel), and, of course, several of my Russell Green River working hunters and skinners.  We could still outfit for a short rondyvoo; kept our working frontstuffers and throwing hawks & knives.  Got several K for the stuff, and find the display spaces have drifted full again, just with less exotic paraphenalia.  Still got the itch to pick up a coupla knives for users, and there's still one exotic that I hid when we were gonna be gone fer a month that I can't find now, but the stuff I collected for the show and tell lectures is gone and mostly forgotten.  Dang schoolkids'll hafta larn about it elsewhere.
mind yer topknots!
windy